buying decks?..

Grizabella

I think what's the problem here is the people who join and then go straight to the trading forum, doing very little in any other forum, but just sit on the Trading forum page 24/7 almost, and then jump up to snag choice decks before anyone else has the chance to even see them. They must either not work away from home or else they have access to the internet from work so they can do this. Whatever the case is, it's just not fair to the average AT member who can't spend so much time watching the Trading forum. Or even if they don't go straight to that forum, still----watching that forum so closely that they can grab the choice decks immediately just isn't in the spirit of that forum, in my opinion.

However---I don't see that there's much anyone can do about it. The mods shouldn't have to babysit that forum so closely and even if they did, what can they really do about it? It's not possible to absolutely know someone's motives there so they can't control what's going on.

I did think it was first come, first served in that forum and thought I didn't have the choice to refuse to sell to whoever comes to offer money first, so I guess I should read the rules better. I did think, though, that putting a disclaimer on your sales page that "I have the right to refuse sale to anyone" or something like that would be nice. Knowing we don't have to sell to the first person who offers may help sellers now that we know it's allowed. I'm glad the mods clarified that for us.

I do understand the problem but I don't know that there's any real solution other than sellers just using better discretion as to who they sell to. And they could also give a heads-up by PM if they see someone new or someone unaware of the problem who has someone trying to buy from them who obviously is one who preys on the Trading forum.

While it's true that we all have the same chance to buy decks on the Trading forum as some have pointed out, we don't REALLY have the same chance if we never get the chance to see a good deck offered because a shark has snapped it up as soon as it hit the board. I personally don't buy or trade very much but I do like to "window shop" sometimes and I see what's going on. It's gotten pretty blatant.

And another gripe I have is that if someone is selling a valuable deck for say---$15, the sharks grab it at that price and don't even let the seller know it has more value. That's not very nice but what can we do? Nothing, I guess, because it's grabbed up before anyone can give the seller a heads-up that they could sell the deck at a higher price to be fair to themselves. I personally believe someone should tell the seller it could be sold for more even if there's a temptation to buy it at the cheap price, but that's just me.

olivia1

SphinYote said:
You know, I don't sell my decks. I don't buy to resell.

But.

If a person wants to invest in something that's going to go up in value, I see it as little different than keeping a bank account that accrues interest.

In a recession, it might be a boon for someone to get an OOP deck at a low price and resell it at a higher value.

While I doubt that's the case in most instances, I'm not going to judge. And for someone who needs the money, buying low and reselling high is a way of putting food on the table. If someone needs the money, I'd rather they get the deck, resell it, and get what they need.

That's a different way of putting it. Still, if I ever sell a deck (which I priced low especially for this forum) and someone knows they're going to resell the deck I priced low for the sole purpose to resell at a higher price (even if it is to put food on the table) I wish they'd have the courtesy to tell me.

That way I can decide if I want to sell to them (who will just resell) or to someone who really loves the deck but doesnt have the cash to pay the market value. Honestly, though I'd probably me more sympathetic to the one who really loves the deck and plans on holding on to it than someone waiting to make a profit (despite their reason for wanting to upsell). Like a lot of people said, not many of us knew people go on the forums just to resell decks. I also though, everyone buying was buying solely for their private collection.

MysticalMoose

I am inclined to agree with Grizabella's post & as I stated I really wasn't aware that there are folks that do this on a regular basis, ... but no I don't see what could be done either..all I would perhaps suggest is that people (such as me now) take more notice of who grabs what on the Trading Forum & when it comes time for selling a deck then seller discretion over who to sell to can be exercised...

olivia1

Abrac said:
Of all the trades and purchases I've made here, about 75% of them I wouldn't care to repeat, so I've opted out. I've kept silent about this until now. Buyer beware.
oh no :( that puts a damper on things. have you bought lots of decks? I have tried to purchase a deck on here before but the transaction was canceled. The seller put the wrong zip code and the deck ended up being returned to her. The seller promptly gave me a refund and was very nice about it. the trade forum was my first stop in purchasing decks. I trust people here. Is there something that I should know ?

nisaba

Wendywu said:
Why anyone wants a deck is not for you to judge; for all you know someone is buying a back up or a replacement.
And with the original post in this thread about people jumping in buying large quantities ... well, that's suddenly become topical this week, what with Kunati sinking into the mire. Their decks the Quantum and Touchstone are both very popular, and not without reason. In today['s circumstances, if I had unlimited funds, I'd be emailing Kunati and seeing if they'd send one last shipment of the Quantum (of which I am very fond), then emailing both of its creative team and trying to buy as many copies as *they'd* let me have, too.

Yes, for me to stockpile. So that, as the years pass, if I make new Tarot friends I don't have now, whom I know would gel with this deck, I'd be able to give them one. We none of us can say who we'll meet or get to know in the future, and I for one am always pleased when I make a successful "marriage" between a friend and a deck I think they'd like.

And yes, probably some would go on ebay. But bear in mind, in hte early nineties when I got my own copy and realised what a gread deck it was, I rushed out and bought six more copies of the Granny Jones Australian Tarot. I've recently seen copies offered for between $150 and $400 on Ebay, it being OOP - but in a period of about a decade, every copy I could spare dradually got given away to people who had seen mine in action and were impressed. They are all still loved and wanted, as far as I know.

I'd do the same thing in an instant with more copies of the Quantum, given the funds. In fact, I'd become *exactly* the kind of person the originator of this thread was angry at, deliberately laying up stocks of a given deck. And no, I am not the least bit apologetic.

MysticalMoose

I have never had a problem with any trade or purchase from any member here :) Don't worry Olivia

Emylicious

Abrac said:
Of all the trades and purchases I've made here, about 75% of them I wouldn't care to repeat, so I've opted out. I've kept silent about this until now. Buyer beware.

I've bought from a couple of people here and always had a lovely experience! Fast delivery and lovely cards!

Poor you :(

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
You can't make rules really about who can and cannot buy something, but you can - "unofficially" - warn someone.
A few months ago now, when I was looking for Something Specific (I shall not say what), I was offered a swapsies deal. The deck I was known to have and the deck the person was offering me were both OOP and I had no way of judging their relative weights. I PMed someone with a bit of a reputation for knowledge, and got an expert's assessment of the relative values of both decks, and that one of them was much more likely to be reprinted in the future, and this helped me make a decision.

It's perfectly okay, I think, to pass on any knowledge you might have of the fairness or otherwise of an advertised sale or trade: better a person make a conscious decision to go with a trade or sale anyway in the light of knowledge, than stumbling around in the dark.

MareSaturni

I have always had a wonderful experience at the Trading Forum. I'm sorry that it wasn't as good for you, Abrac :(

I completely agree with Grizabella. I think the problem is the shark attitude. I think that more than one person here has visited a selling/trading thread only to see that the deck they wanted has already been bought by someone else - and that the same someone else has bought the same deck the last three times it was offered.

That's a bit of a shark attitude, but i believe that if the seller is allowed to choose who he or she will sell to, then probably this situation will change.

I don't have anything against people who buy extra copies or collect decks. But i think it's friendly to give others who don't have the deck yet a chance to get it - specially if you are buying it to have a third copy just in case the Apocalypse arrives! And if no one else has the money to buy it or is seems to be interested, then it's your turn.

Frankly, no one would lose a piece of flesh for being a bit patient.

As for selling the decks afterwards, it's your deck, you bought it, you do whatever you want with it. And if you are lucky enough to have many OOPs to sell, i hope they can provide the money that you need and go to nice new homes. Nothing against it at all.

Debra

I watch the trading forum here and e-bay as well.

Some of the members here regularly sell rare decks on e-bay and always jump to buy them at "we're friends" prices here.

Some of these people don't contribute much beyond buying and selling. I think it's tacky, and I prefer not to deal with them. I think it takes advantage of the spirit of community we have here, such as it is.

It's equivalent to choosing to patronize your small local shop that treats people like neighbors rather than the mega market where they don't give a rat's behind about anything but money.

This community spirit is not a rule. It comes from how people treat each other, that's all.