On the importance of tea

Asbestos Mango

I was just wondering, how important is it that you have tea when you are doing a reading?

I consider making a cup of tea to be a vital part of preparing for a reading, and am generally distressed if I finish the tea before I finish the reading.

Is it even possible to read the Tarot without tea? Or do people manage tea-less Tarot, and it's some weird quirk of mine?

Umbrae

sounds to me like you use tea and tea making as your ritual to 'center and ground'.

as you hang out in these parts, you'll notice some folks have differnt 'rituals' to get 'centered and grounded' before reading.

some use prayer, some meditation, others its music.

you should do - what you should do.

now me? Love tea when I'm at home. But when I'm out in the world, I don't have the opportunity - so I have to 'get' to 'that place' without tea. I have to be able to 'plug in' at a moments notice.

now you...from where I am looking, I myself would venture to say that by the time you've finished making the tea, the reading is already done. You've simploy not chosen the cards. However if you listen really well, you'll find you don't really need the cards - you plug in during the making...

schmedrake

I agree with Umbrae. I don't drink tea when I read. But I do have rituals I enjoy doing. I like to mix things up, though, so as to not depend on anything outside of myself.

I'm a writer for a living and have asked myself "can I write without X?" a number of times and the answer always ends up being that I don't need X to write. But I'm always afraid that, without X, I'm nothing. A no-talent nobody... haha.

Your talent and your ability come from within. From your higher self, your heart or from your clever mind. Whatever you choose to believe is fine. And because they come from within, no external source holds dominion over them. Unless you let it.

psyphy

Tea has played an important part in my life, even professionally and yes, I wholeheartedly agree that tea and Tarot or any oracle work match just wonderfully. One of my ongoing projects is a new table for all kinds of ritual work with a bit of space for my chinese gong-fu gear, but I´m still looking for the right piece of wood [and some free space in my cave :D]

Kashi

Gazel

schmedrake said:
Your talent and your ability come from within. From your higher self, your heart or from your clever mind. Whatever you choose to believe is fine. And because they come from within, no external source holds dominion over them. Unless you let it.

These are really wise words schmedrake, and they go for all kinds of things, that have to do with intuition or creativity. I'll bear them in mind - thanx.

As for me, I like to have coffee or caffe latte with my readings, but I don't need it. And I never drink tea.

Wendywu

I'm British. Specifically - I'm English. Tea is essential - for everything!! We drink tea when we work, when we relax, when we are stressed - my mum swore piping hot tea was the perfect drink for a hot summer's day and she was right. Then again, a nice cup of tea is just right on a cold winter's day .... tea is just - essential :)

(Unless you're a totally strange being like my husband, who won't touch tea - eek!! I'm married to a weirdo :eek:)

Sinduction

No tea, no rituals. I just shuffle up and deal. :D

nisaba

Wendywu said:
Tea is essential - for everything!! We drink tea when we work, when we relax, when we are stressed - my mum swore piping hot tea was the perfect drink for a hot summer's day and she was right. Then again, a nice cup of tea is just right on a cold winter's day .... tea is just - essential :)
You are all forgetting something.

You drink tea when you are at home, or at work. And it has to be with low-fat soy milk, or it tastes weird and horrible, and ends up poured down the sink, no matter how much you want a tea. These days, if I visit anyone except one well-trained friend, I take my own soymilk with me.

But when you go out-out, as in out-and-about not necessarily visiting friends in their own caves, you need cappucchinos. Not tea. Cafe staff make execrable tea, even worse than the tea friends make. Cappucchinos - on soy - are about being waited on. About being indulged, served, and not having to do the washing-up later. They also put you in a good enough mood to be able to tolerate grocery-shopping in brief spurts with only subliminal snarling.

Tea, properly prepared and whitened, is fabulous stuff. But I never have it around cards. I'll have a cup before I start and one after I finish, but I'm absolutely not going to have one on the table. One, it will get cold as I concentrate on the reading. Two, it may accidentally get knocked over the spread. Notta chance. No Tea-n-tarot for me.

saleeneh

I Do The Tea Thing

I love to prepare some tea if I do a reading at home. It gives me a few minutes to chat before the reading, by the time the tea is done and cups filled it is time to sit down and read. It isnt necessary just a friendly thing I do. I love tea, in fact I am drinking a cup as i type this.

KafkasGhost

I noticed myself having a sipping cup nearby with my recent readings. It tastes good and I just get thirsty with all that looking and intuiting.

Asian Tea + Milk = Yuckiness