Calling all female Hermits!

hopena

I don't have the deck, but the Pagan Tarot, has a female Hermit - in a room, at a desk, surrounded by books. I've wanted that deck for a while, but nobody buys it for me, and I tend to be distracted by other decks when I have money (like the Shadowscapes, two years ago).

Padma

Interesting what you said about the Nine of Pentacles, I so strongly relate to that card, and it always comes up in my readings!

Kat Black's Golden has a lovely 9 of Pents...

http://goldentarot.com/mico09.htm

and also a beautiful male hermit...

http://goldentarot.com/maherm.htm

I think he looks like St. Francis...I love his soft, empathic quality.

velvetina

the Paulina too :)

Masa

You guys! These are so wonderful!! :D Keep 'em coming!

I've just decided that, next time I set out to get myself a present, I'm going to order a custom sketch from the Shadowscapes artist and give her "Hermitess" as my keyword. :) Whenever that happens, I'll be sure to come back and post it to this thread.

Meanwhile, on the subject of Nines of Pentacles, I really like the Hanson-Roberts one, too.

Masa

There were also these two posts I wanted to respond to--

The Hermit is Virgo, so I think it is appropriate to consider it to be ambiguously gendered, regardless of the image on the card.

Whoa, I totally failed to notice the sign association. I'm a Virgo, and this is the first time I've ever heard anything associated with that sign that I actually thought sounded like me. Interesting! Thank you for this tidbit.

How about something not strictly Tarot related, but symbollically connected, like Yael, who killed Sisera in her tent (see the connection? :) ) and became a hero?

Yay, I love it when people know about Yael/Jael. Totally one of the most awesome and least-appreciated Bible stories. :) I hadn't thought of her in relation to this idea before--very cool! Thanks!

Padma

You guys! These are so wonderful!! :D Keep 'em coming!

I've just decided that, next time I set out to get myself a present, I'm going to order a custom sketch from the Shadowscapes artist and give her "Hermitess" as my keyword. :) Whenever that happens, I'll be sure to come back and post it to this thread.

Meanwhile, on the subject of Nines of Pentacles, I really like the Hanson-Roberts one, too.

those were lovely, Masa :) and I am sure you'd really enjoy a custom sketch! How wonderful! ;)

NorthernTigress

I am another female who feels a strong connection to the Hermit archetype. Strangely enough, though, it doesn't really matter to me that most Hermits are male.

I do love the Shadowscapes Hermit, the way he/she is literally "above it all". And the way Ciro draws his Hermits, there's a combination of solitude and strength. I once created a shielding/protection meditation for myself, using a mental image of the Gilded Hermit shining his light over me.

Masa

I am another female who feels a strong connection to the Hermit archetype. Strangely enough, though, it doesn't really matter to me that most Hermits are male.

That makes sense. I both care and don't care about it, I guess. It certainly doesn't matter in an individual reading, or in my overall understanding of the archetype. But I love gender-bending tarot cards, and I enjoy collecting stuff that looks like myself. ;) (If I ever find one that also has my hair color, I'll be set! Woo!)

You know, it's interesting how making a male character into a female one adds a level of traditional dissonance for the deck, but removes a layer of subjective dissonance for myself. It's simultaneously gender-bending and gender-unbending.

Cat*

The Ironwing has another female Hermit.
The one in the Greenwood is ambiguous.