Fortune Teller Experience

Kalisti

NO, not at all. I never even knew you could shield yourself--new nothing about grounding or anything of that sort till I came here to A.T.

My mother never knew any of that either and I suspect none of our family members did. Mom sort of laughed at what I said I did because she feels spirits are not going to hurt us and we shouldn't be afraid of them. If they are that bad--you just get a Priest to come over, bless the house and that removes them--or if not--then yes, you have problems and will need the Priest to do an exorcism. :bugeyed:

Not exactly words that make you feel any better about having this skill though! :D

Which is also why my one sister is absolutely terrified and not interested in developing her skills. Its enough for her when a family spirit comes to visit--which she can usually handle, but she is not about to invite any other spirit into her life!

Wow, that had to be interesting...did they pester you a lot, or was it more of an on-occasion thing? When did you realize that most people don't have the gift? I've heard of some mediums having a hard time with that sort of thing, especially as children and young adults.

Spirits are unsettling to most people, for sure. My very first experience with a spirit happened when I was 20 and Christian, I was splashing holy water all over the walls of my room afterward, hahaha. And to think, here I am occasionally meeting with spirits and leaving libations for the loving dead, 12 years later.

Alta

Could we keep this thread tarot related? Spirituality is the place for discussing spirit visitations and the like. Thanks. Alta

Carojulie

Hi,

I only had three professional readings in my life.
Each time, I was going through a rough time personnaly, and was hoping to get useful insight from the readings in order to make my conditions better.

Two readings (the very first, and the last in date) were very good and gave me food for thought and hope. The cards were not all sugar coated, but both times the readers pointed out the problems AND suggested ways to avoid it or go around it, or look at it from a different viewpoint.

But one reading (the second one) was bad.
I felt much worse after having the reading, and that is saying something because I was not feeling great when booking the reading in the first place.
I had given information to the reader about my specific situation and what I wanted help with, and she gave me advice that I did not ask for, and that I truly think came from her own point of view and not from the cards.
At that time I was having serious problems at work with a person who was trying to have me fired and who was making my life miserable on a daily basis, and I was asking how to best deal with the situation in order for the harassment to stop.
She point blank told me that no matter what I did the harassment would never stop and I would always be miserable, and she urged me to resign from this position and leave this company (when I had specifically told her that leaving or loosing this job was not an option !)
Looking at the cards she draw, I was pretty sure that this advice was not in the cards, but that the reading had been totaly biaised by her own opinion.

In any case, it left me completely dejected : I was already under a lot of anxiety and pressure at the time, and I really did not need a reading that left me even more depressed.

As a reader myself, I knew before this experience that it is bad practice to let your own point of view interfere with the reading ; and that giving people definitive life changing once sided advice is NOT recommanded either.
I think it is much better and much more deontologicaly acceptable to give the querent food for thought, to enlight an aspect of their question that they might have overlooked, and in the end to leave them free to act according to their own free will.

But, this experience was a good lesson to me, because it gave me first hand experience on how terrible you can feel when you had a bad reading ; it can be traumatic and even dangerous to say this kind of thing to someone who is emotionnaly fragile !

So now I am even more careful than ever, to not let my personal opinion interfere with a reading, and to refrain from giving definitive and one sided advice.
It is important to stay open minded and objective, and always let people know that their decision is their own to make - without imposing a moral judgement or a sense of doom on them.
After all, querents come to have an insight from the cards, not to have my personal point of view on what they should or should not do - otherwise they would ask for my opinion and not for a reading.

So out of three professional readings : two good and one bad. But the bad one served me as a lesson on my own tarot practice, so now I count it as a positive experience even if it was a bad reading.

Pineapple88

But one reading (the second one) was bad.
I felt much worse after having the reading, and that is saying something because I was not feeling great when booking the reading in the first place.

Every time I am tempted to have a reading when I am feeling lost or vulnerable. I sort of get a sick feeling in my stomach because I don't want to have the same unpleasant experience. I know that there are good and bad situations in life, but the tarot reader should of mentioned a better option for you. Even if there was no option to stop this person from making you feel miserable because some people cannot compromise, but I would of loved it if the tarot reader put a positive spin to your situation. Guiding you to a job/company where it's not so honky dory, but where you don't feel weighed down by your job and you feel like you're progressing and making a difference.

I am in a similar situation at work. There is a young woman I work with who is sort of a snitch in way. She tell my boss everything. I am still unsure if she does it intentionally or not. I wanted to get a reading and found out about this woman, but in the end. It's my decision if I want to put up with it and leave the job; however, I have bad luck with jobs in the past and this job I know how to do my job, so I don't want to get another job and go back to 0.
All the best to you. By the way, what happened with the person who made you feel unhappy?

Herodotus

I'm pleased to have stumbled upon this thread.
I've never gotten a reading, but because of my ongoing interest in the cards, I've been seriously considering it. There are two places in the town I live that offer Tarot readings.
This thread has opened my eyes to the fact that there are scammers out there, and there are folks who can give bad readings. While that doesn't exactly make me confident about getting a reading, it does mentally prepare me for such a possibility.

I'm waiting until I have some question to be answered, though, before I go. The main reason I want this is to see firsthand how others use the cards in a professional setting (I don't live in proximity to any friends who read, and those that do have less experience even than me). That's what I really want to get out of it, but I think it would be fruitless to go without an actual question for the reader to work with.

celticnoodle

Wow, that had to be interesting...did they pester you a lot, or was it more of an on-occasion thing? When did you realize that most people don't have the gift? I've heard of some mediums having a hard time with that sort of thing, especially as children and young adults.

Spirits are unsettling to most people, for sure. My very first experience with a spirit happened when I was 20 and Christian, I was splashing holy water all over the walls of my room afterward, hahaha. And to think, here I am occasionally meeting with spirits and leaving libations for the loving dead, 12 years later.

Could we keep this thread tarot related? Spirituality is the place for discussing spirit visitations and the like. Thanks. Alta

Sorry, Alta, I got carried away, I guess. Kalisti--you have a PM. :)