Mary Greer Collecting Stories for Possible Publication

Teheuti

Ferol Humphrey said:
I see that I have most likely exceeded your maximum word limit. I did write it in one amazingly fast outpouring. I type like lightning, almost as fast as I think.

Let me see if I can trim out, to the 500 word maximum.
Don't worry about fixing the length right now - although in general I'd prefer stories to be less than 500 words.

I didn't know before that troublous was a word. I like it. Learn something new everyday.

Mary

Teheuti

gregory said:
A group of us started doing stories based on the cards; it is sort of in abeyance...... If you trawl threads (I am away just now !) under - as I recall "stories from the cards" - any of mine you find you are welcome to use !! Please let me know if you do - if I become famous, I like to know I did !!!!
Gregory - I'd like to see a link to the stories. The ones here have a few qualifications and I ask you to do some follow-up regarding your question when drawing the card and how the story relates to your issue. Would you be willing to do a new story following the guidelines at the beginning of the thread?

Mary

sweet_intuition

Hey Mary

I will be posting a story based on the 9 of Pentacles in the RWS Deck, with a focus on the "second person".

:)

Bonnie

A New Age

Ferol:

Fascinating story! That which is taken is not always material, but it is always real.

Blessings,
Bonnie

sweet_intuition

9 of Pentacles - The Original Rider-Waite Deck

The Lady and The Crone

By

Sweet Intuition :)

Once upon a time, in a land far-far away, lived Lady Abigail Wicket. Well, from what her neighbors had heard, she could hardly be called ‘a lady’. Sure, to the world she appeared all clean and pristine, like every good Virgo woman would. But every time her husband went sailing to the east in search of spices, she would always have a man by her side, fulfilling her in ways her husband hadn’t even heard of. On Sunday’s there’d be two.

However, on this dull morning, Lady Wicket was incredibly bored. Raoul, the Hispanic pirate was in bed with the flu, and Anthony, the neighbor’s nephew was taking his oath of celibacy (that probably explains why he kept screaming the lord’s name so much the prior night).

With nothing (and no one) to do, she decided to take a stroll in her backyard, an incredible vineyard that stretched out till as far as the eye could see. Grapes so ripe that their rich colors were a testament to their sweetness; aroma’s so vivid, that even a teetotaler would be intoxicated by it. The grapes themselves glistened in the bright summer sun like shining coins. However, Lady Wicket never particularly cared for the vineyard. She preferred exotic orchids to silly old grapes.

After a few paces along the cobblestone path, she came upon a disgustingly slimy snail, causing her to scream in sheer horror. Just as she was lifting her leg to stomp on it, a voice called out, “Don’t!”

Upon turning around, she saw a tiny old crone emerging through the thick bushes of the vineyard, hobbling away towards the snail with her cane supporting her slouching body.

“Who the hell are you?” Lady Wicket demanded in a shrill tone of disgust at the crone’s haggardly appearance.

The crone looked up at her and smiled helplessly, “Forgive me my dear, I didn’t mean to be a bother. I don’t understand how Rodney got loose.”

“Didn’t mean to be a bother?” Lady Wicket spat (how unladylike of her), “You think letting such a vile and disgusting creature loose in other people’s property won’t bother them?”

The crone’s thin wrinkled lips curled into a gentle smile, “From what I hear my dear, those words you used upon this gentle creature are also used by others for you”.

Before Lady Wicket could respond to such a statement, the crone continued, “It’s alright my dear, we people forget at times the value of a word. Well, most of the time we forget the value of the life we have received, along with the value of all life has offered us and yet has to offer. So it really doesn’t matter if we forget the value of something as little as a word. Yet, sometimes, a simple word can define a person for who they are.”

With that, the old crone hobbled out of the vineyard, carrying the snail in the palm of her hand, leaving Lady Wicket sobbing silently to herself.

*~*~*~*~*

I hope you liked it. I would really love to know what you thought.

Thank You

Love and Blessings :)

tmgrl2

Very nicely done, sweet_intuition!! I like the personality you have given this woman in the 9 of Pentacles....indeed a person who feels "entitled."

A word, a snail...small things, but of great value! Words can indeed be weapons that wound....

terri

ARudhra

glad you enjoyed it~

Thank you, my friends!

it is more fun to me that you enjoyed it.

F

Little Hare

sweet_intution i liked it! you have a wonderful sense of humour and the writing teaches a very important lesson :D

Bonnie

Words

Sweet Intuition:

What a wonderful story! It is so interesting to see how people are stepping up and telling really good, meaningful stories!

Blessings,
Bonnie

Teheuti

Sweet Intuition,

I'm sure that Steven Colbert (The Colbert Report on Comedy Central) would agree with you about the value of a word - since that is one of his set pieces on his TV show.

Thanks for your addition. I'll be PMing you with some questions.

Mary