A spiritualist just told me I need to burn my tarot decks....

Gayla

I met a lady today, at work of all places. She said she is a spiritualist and told me I needed to put a cloth over my tarot decks, pour holy water on them, make a cross three times and burn them.....

Then, she started 'speaking tounges' over me in a long rant for about 10 minutes.

She told me there are 'imps' in my house because of my Tarot decks....

I don't know what to say about this other than I WILL NOT burn my tarot card collection and I will never believe my decks are doing harm.

Has anyone else ever had something like this happen?

Sulis

No I've never had this happen to me but if I did, I think I would calmly and politely tell them that they were obviously raving mad and should go away and sort their own head out before they start messing with any one else's.

(((((((((((((Gayla)))))))))))))

Gayla

I felt very stunned by her behaviour. Extreme is the word which comes to mind....

I sense she was a good person, but I didn't sense a great deal of light around her...

Eco74

Never had such a thing happen...
If it did, I'd probably have a heck of a time trying to keep from laughing out loud. :rolleyes:

Did the lady ever say what about bits of cardboard with ink and varnish is so horrible that they attract imps and need to be burned?

Gayla

I did start cracking up at one point....she just went on and on. It sounded like she was speaking some type of language you'd hear in the Carribean.(sp?)

She told me Tarot decks manifest the imps 'even if they are sitting in a draw and unused'....

I told my mom about it and she agreed we have a couple 'imps' in our house...a crazy 4 year old girl and hyper 9 year old boy!!! :)

Seriously thought, at the end of the conversation with this lady I felt a bit rattled....

ruski_svet

Wow Gayla, I'm glad you have a good head on your shoulders to not freak out and take her advice. That lady might've caused some people to really worry. I've been "quoted" at before and basically told I'm going to hell because I'm not Born-Again or whatever fundie sect this lady was in. And my friends and I never even said anything to her, other than bring up that we're good people just not into what she believes.

And aren't spiritualists into tarot cards and all that? I thought they were the more "funky" of the beliefs.

Gayla

ruski_svet said:
And aren't spiritualists into tarot cards and all that? I thought they were the more "funky" of the beliefs.

Right...I was thinking 'spiritualist' were okay with Tarot cards.

She said, "I am a spiritualist".

lark

Well maybe you could tell her that speaking in tongues is a manifestation of being indwelled by the devil }) and that you will keep you tarot cards and imps and she can keep speaking in toungues ...and never the two shall met.
What a nut job.
sorry you had to come upon that kind of person.

Sphinxmoth

man, Gayla. how friggin' creepy is that?

((((((((((Gayla)))))))))))))

don't let it freak you out too bad. (though, honestly, it is seriously
freaky and creepy)

what creeps me out the worst is thinkin' about how MANY people there
are all around me (grocery store, work, just living in the world in general)
who think that's perfectly okay behavior, that THEIR spiritual beliefs
are the RIGHT ones and so it's perfectly justified to act, frankly, like
someone who is not right in the head, and inflict their freaky riffs on others
whenever and wherever they like.

that little performance of hers is diagnostic of insanity, if you ask me,
and in sixteenth century Salem, the town fathers would have had no
truck with it, and you know what that would have gotten her alright, and
all in the name of the same set of spiritual beliefs, or near's makes no
difference, more's the irony..

sorry for ranting in tongues, there, I DON'T like hearing stories like that,
and very sorry it happened to you.

friggin' manic-religious superstitious bs. it should NOT, DOES not deserve
any degree of tolerance. it's insane bs.