Firemaiden interviews you -- your personal tarot biography

blackairplane

berrieh said:
Oh, how cool! Did you think it meant anything at the time, finding it again? To me, that would be a sign of something, so I just wondered. The Magician is my favorite card. I consider him the Tarot Reader of Tarot (at least the one most likely to read the way I do ;) ), so this just sounds magical...

I thought it was a sign when I found it- some long lost message from Bertha. (She died, by the way by being hit by a lumber truck. She used to walk in the middle of the road, right by the yellow line saying it was just as much hers as theirs- and it finally caught up with her.) Anyway, things in my life have gotten a little worse since I found the card so I don't know. I have pondered on his appearance and it could mean many things. But, yes, I do think it means something.

berrieh said:
How interesting that you learned from a woman in your neighborhood. I don't think children today would be allowed to spend time with someone like Bertha (not that there's anything wrong with her---children just don't usually go over to adult's homes like that anymore, I don't think).

I lived an hours distance from her and only visited her when I visited my grandmother, so perhaps 6-8 times a year. Not interacting with adults on an adult or adultish level is part of the reason kids seem so immature today I think. She was wild and fun and I knew she was disapproved of a bit, but that was part of her appeal. I mean, she was sometimes dressing out a racoon when I came over in her kimonos- that was just too good and I knew it. Next to her, kids I knew were a big bore.

berrieh said:
What about Bertha? It's interesting to me that you bring up two very strong influences---Bertha and your mother---in great stories here, yet feel you didn't learn from being taught. Could you elaborate on that idea?

I guess what I meant was conventional learning by rote or book, not learning by observation. I always learned best what I taught or observed myself, not what I was taught. Bertha didn't even have the same type of cards I had, that she gave me. She didn't teach me every meaning like memory. She taught me the process. She often read regular playing cards and she always let me read her cards. She had an ongoing feud with the local postmistress, Inez and she talked about a beau named Harry who I never met, and I read for her about Harry and Inez. She'd say "Baby, read my cards". I still call people Baby today because Bertha called me that. And she would tell me about her ghosts. I knew all their stories!!! We'd read cards for the ghosts what they wanted to tell us.

Berrieh! By the way; your Gram sounds like Bertha was to me. What is narcissist/NPD mean?

Cerulean

First joy at your stories; next hope to hear more as well

Very lovely, because I seem to read as we grow in our own spiritual and personal ways, we took a small book of images with us along the way.

I'm afraid I missed seeing Firemaiden's wonderful story, and the tarot fun I've enjoyed in her threads at AT only hints at the lovely background that spans continents, decks...and days and nights of song and story.

Here I go:

1. First section:

-How did you find the tarot? (or how did it find you?) -What drew you to it? -What was your first reaction? -How old were you? What was going on in your life at the time? Why do you think you found it when you did? Was it an important discovery for you?

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=93113&page=1&pp=30

2. Second Section:
-What sort of social environment were you in when you found tarot -- religious, anti-religious, liberal, conservative? Hostile or friendly to tarot, etc. -Did you keep it secret? Is it still secret? Why? If secret, when did/will you come out of the tarot closet?

Since I've been independent as an adult since graduating university, the above is all a matter of personal choice and responsibility. I understand family
members have their own choice of religion, belief, ways of living and most of them all are healthful and kindly, with their own approaches. I respect if they want to play card games, or do sports and I do have my own interests as well. When I practise music or study art history, or have friends that enjoy tarot cards--it's all a choice of creativity or relaxation.

2. Third section:

-Do you read? for yourself? for others? live? on-line?

Yes, yes, yes, yes. On-line not so much any more. Maybe with the Skype/Video cam connection, my friends and family whom I enjoy doing such things with will get into more online readings. My artsy friends like old fashioned postal mail--we grew up in a time that paper arts felt good for the soul.

-How many years have you been reading? - since 1995, 1996.

-Do you feel like you are a good reader? Not always.

-How did you learn to read? I had taught myself early to read my own dreams, read illustrations and filmic images that I didn't understand to form stories, but they weren't necessarily cartomancy or for others. I knew how to read my own images and ideas, but not for others all the time.

What were your first readings like? -How long did it take you before you felt you could do a meaningful reading?

--for family members and people that I knew for a few years, we were in tune and able to talk and discuss the images. That conversational approach worked because they were really open and able to look at things outside of their subjective view if they could see a different image and through conversation, a different viewpoint.

It took me time to be able to tell if a relative stranger wasn't really interested in learning something new or wanted a reading that was helpful. Sometimes people were are forming questions with specific expectations--it was likely they didn't really need a reading with cards for the answer.

For instance, someone who asked if a relative was going to change their ways but had no plans to participate in helping or dealing with the issue--they had no expectation of anything was going to change at all. A free or any reading, in that case, was a waste of energy for the relative--and it told me something about the questioner

-How has your way of reading evolved over the years? Do you like to experiment and try new things?

I usually do creative readings for myself and certain family and friends. We try different things all the time.

---Or do you get best results with tried and true methods?

Usually if the spread is a bit different, that helps.

---Has your power to read insightfully improved steadily? or was it an inborn talent?

I have no power. Sometimes my conversational skills have improved if people can hear and listen and we have wonderful moments of exploring, even fun together. But it's not anything inborn or within me that speaks of natural insight or psychic or psycho energy. I don't have any of that.

-or does the magic to "see" come and go with periods of being "on" and periods of being "stuck". Do you enjoy reading or find it draining?

Sometimes being with people with imagination who enjoy creative ways to discuss their looks at some idea or work or issue--they are empowered for themselves. Their inborn talent to turn the mirror of insight on themselves increases if they are open to looking at such things--with others who trying to be gentle or strong or inspiring or sympathetic if need be. Sometimes my attempts at being a good conversationalist or listener has improved so we together feel happy and connected.

Sometimes people do not connect with me and my style of reading or looking at things--that is bound to happen. In that case, nice to meet you, hope things go well with you...

-Do you feel you have something to teach others about reading?

I don't know.

-Do you believe the tarot works?

For me, it only works with certain people. Other methods of problem-solving or creativity works, other means of relaxation or talking or not talking. Sometimes action speaks louder than words and tarot isn't going to help or should not be consulted.

-Were you skeptical at first? Did you grow to believe it more or less as you became more familiar with it?

I understand for me, some teachers or ways of tarot study works and some teachers or ways of tarot study do not. To be honest, I don't think tarot is for everyone.

It is up to each individual (in my humble opinion) to be able to

(1) say if they want to 'believe' in being able to learn from creative allegorical teaching stories -- whether the stories come from tarot conversation, their spiritual teacher's writings, their own creative insight
(2) Do something about what they learned
(3) Be able to put down the cards and shut off the forum chat and stop reading books and just do what needs to be done--in a good and helpful way
that has impact to the matter of concern.

I believe in that way, a tarot reading made into a positive action will 'work.'

Best wishes,

Cerulean

Chronata

I just want to say WOW!
What a great thread Firemaiden!
I am learning so much from each of you, and really enjoying the stories of your personal journeys, and tarot.
You should all write autobiographies, because every single story is fascinating!

I'll share mine soon...but first I just wanted to say how awesome this is. (and how warm it is by the fire! And hey! crunchy frogs!)

I think it's very interesting that many of you picked up tarot because of a relationship.
I think back to my first relationship (well...OK...really, my first big crush! :D) and I think about how at the time I was madly in love with this guy...was one of the few times that I actuallystopped reading the cards for a while.

Because I didn't like what they had to say! (they were honest, he was just not that into me, and I wanted them to tell me how we would live deliriously, happily ever after!)

Amazing stories!

firemaiden

blackairplane said:
She died, by the way by being hit by a lumber truck. She used to walk in the middle of the road, right by the yellow line saying it was just as much hers as theirs- and it finally caught up with her.
... she was sometimes dressing out a racoon when I came over in her kimonos- that was just too good and I knew it. Next to her, kids I knew were a big bore.
And she would tell me about her ghosts. I knew all their stories!!! We'd read cards for the ghosts what they wanted to tell us.
I want to know what the ghosts said!!
Blackairplane, your Bertha is to die for. She sounds like a character straight out of a Tom Robbins novel. This is just too rich. She couldn't have been more colourful if you made her up. Wouldn't Blackairplane's story make a good movie? Lets see now, whom shall we cast...

berrieh

I guess what I meant was conventional learning by rote or book, not learning by observation. I always learned best what I taught or observed myself, not what I was taught. Bertha didn't even have the same type of cards I had, that she gave me. She didn't teach me every meaning like memory. She taught me the process.

Ah, I understand. Yes, I agree we can't memorize others' meanings... I think we have to build the meanings for ourselves. That's what I think the first several years (maybe more) of readings are, and what I consider my 'process' in reading -- I'm working on building meanings everyday.

Berrieh! By the way; your Gram sounds like Bertha was to me. What is narcissist/NPD mean?

NPD = Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's a mental illness/personality disorder. My grandmother was never diagnosed with it, so far as I know, but she shared some of the same qualities (in different ways) with my mother, so I thought she might have a form of it. My mother had diagnosed NPD, sometimes treated, sometimes not. It's hard to treat.

berrieh

It has awoken the therapist and counselor in me. I'm more compassionate to other people around me, even strangers. I feel more like I belong to the human race.

What an interesting thought!

I never thought of this, but I think Tarot has tapped into/awakened this instinct in me as well. As I said, Tarot has always been a part of my life, so it's hard to say what I'd be without it, but I do think it makes me more compassionate and empathetic, more able to see people and accept them for who they are. It helps me see meaning in everything, even the bad parts of life and humanity.

firemaiden

VGimlet said:
As a kid, I didn't have a name for it. I just knew things that creeped my parents out, LOL.
LOL! You're one of thooooooose!
Tarot, in general, was a very important discovery. It made me feel not so weird. My parents didn't make me feel strange about the way I knew things, but they didn't make a big deal of it either. I wasn't sure if it was a good thing, or a bad thing.
It sounds like you were really one of those who would have found or been found by tarot no matter what.
When I found the Aquarian deck, my dad split the cost with me.
I bet your Dad had the gift too ;) What a cool Dad!! (I cannot for one second imagine being able to share this tarot thing with my Dad, so I'm sort of jealous)
I feel like my readings improved dramatically when I got rid of the rote meanins I'd used for so long. I always read intuitively now, and sometimes I get "more".
You have been reading for 35 years -- that is a very long time. How long ago did you get rid of the rote meanings? What prompted you? That must have been a rather exciting revolution.

-Do you believe the tarot works?

I do think it works. I am always a little bit of a skeptic, even now, but it works, and that has been proven to me many times. Although complete belief or unbelief in anything is a bad idea, so I keep my bit of salt handy. :D
Me too! This is where I am with tarot too.

thank you so much for your story, VGimlet. It is amazing to me how different kinds of journies there are. -- Some of us pulled by the "there was this guy...' factor, some of us initiated by a version of "fairy godmother", some of us drawn inevitably too it from within-- as I think you were -- following a silver string laid down on the path...

blackairplane

berrieh said:
NPD = Narcissistic Personality Disorder. It's a mental illness/personality disorder. My grandmother was never diagnosed with it, so far as I know, but she shared some of the same qualities (in different ways) with my mother, so I thought she might have a form of it. My mother had diagnosed NPD, sometimes treated, sometimes not. It's hard to treat.

So, other than the obvious definition of narcississtic what are the symptoms of this disorder??? I find this quite interesting.

blackairplane

firemaiden said:
I want to know what the ghosts said!!
Blackairplane, your Bertha is to die for. She sounds like a character straight out of a Tom Robbins novel. This is just too rich. She couldn't have been more colourful if you made her up. Wouldn't Blackairplane's story make a good movie? Lets see now, whom shall we cast...

Oh Bertha was great. She was pretty old when I knew her -in her early 80's. She had lived next door to my grandparents for years and they all talked about her when she was young and her wild boyfriends. My grandmother did say she had the second sight though and told me a story about how she was out in ther barn with her in the 1940's during WWII and she suddenly clutched at her heart and told my grandmother that something had happened to Wendell. Wendell was her nephew and he was killed in the war on that day. It kinda freaked my grandmother out.

She ate anything with legs but a chair too. My mom raised poultry for FFA when she was a teenager and told me how she had this beautiful white male Peking duck she raised. My grandparents were farm people and didn't make pets out of poultry and sold Bertha some of the ducks. This white duck my mother had named Lochinvar and Bertha smacked her lips and told my mother how good Lockinvar tasted- so I guess she could have he moments as well. She nursed my grandfather through Typhoid Fever when he was a child though- so I guess she was OK. She was super to me.

I'll tell about the ghosts in another post. Its a longish story.

berrieh

So, other than the obvious definition of narcississtic what are the symptoms of this disorder??? I find this quite interesting.

I don't want to get this thread too off-topic or too into my mother, but if you want to research NPD, there's lots of material out there. Here's a good snapshot of the diagnostic criteria:

http://www.halcyon.com/jmashmun/npd/dsm-iv.html

Not that it was quite as horrible as this site, and most of the information, makes people think. I mean, it's the same as everything else -- it expresses itself in a range. Some alcoholics are worse than others; same with some narcissists.