North node.

jfiallo0982

Good morning to all.

I would like for somebody to enlighten me on having your north node in house 12.
I've looked every where and I dont quiet get it. Its my mother's not mine. Im very curious to know what this means for her.

Thanks.

Minderwiz

There are a lot of approaches to the North Node (and by extension the South Node), especially since a Vedic influence crept in through the Theosophical Society astrologers of the late nineteenth century.

Traditionally the North Node was regarded as a benefic, rather like Venus and Jupiter. Uniquely for points, rather than planets, the North Node has an exaltation in Gemini (South Node exalted in Sagittarius). In interpretation you would look to see if it had a major aspect (ignore minor ones) to any other planet and if it has, see if the planet is itself a benefic or malefic. You would also look at the ruler of the North Node and make a judgement about it's condition as well. However, the North Node is not the most important point in a chart - Ascendant, MC, Descendant and IC are more important as is the Part of Fortune, which was used far more in the delineation of charts than the Nodal axis in the past.

Taking your question directly,as with everything else in Astrology, it's important to establish context a single placement tells very little. I'd need to know what sign the North Node was in (which determines its ruler) and if there are any other planets in aspect, as a minimum and really I'd need the full chart. All you give is it's position in the twelfth. The twelfth is an awkward position for a planet, but for the North Node, we are more interested in its ruler, other planets in aspect (especially benefics Jupiter and Venus and malefics Mars and Saturn). Also look at the Sun and Moon in relation to the nodal axis, if both Sun and Moon lie on the axis then your mother was born at an eclipse (Solar if a conjunction of Sun and Moon; lunar if Sun and Moon are in opposition). Eclipses have significance in some natal charts. It's an obvious point but remember that the Nodes form a pair, so a conjunction with the North Node is an opposition with the South Node, which was traditionally regarded as malefic. Modern Astrologers tend to recoil from describing anything as benefic or malefic (well certainly 'malefic') and there's a good point here, in that if you are reading for someone else 'malefic' has overtones that do not work well with the modern mindset. Substituting 'challenging' or 'dealing with obstacles' is perhaps a better way of putting it these days.

It's important to note that points, no matter how important are passive, rather than active. So the North Node is not inhibited in the twelfth - it's relationship (if any) with the planets is what matters.

And now for something which might cause some horror in some modern Astrologers. Not everything in a chart is important or relevant. If your mother's nodes are not connected to other planets or their rulers are not major planets in the chart, then it's quite possible that the nodes can be safely ignored. If they are strongly connected, or their rulers are strongly connected then you ignore them at your peril.

Now modern developments would look on the nodal axis as saying something about karma or reincarnation or your personal development through life. I've not seen any convincing argument or evidence for these, but clearly others have and if it's an idea that appeals to you, then explore it more.

jfiallo0982

Thank you Minderwiz, knowledgeable as always.

The north node is 27-58 R in Scorpio. Fortune is in the 11, but is very close to the north node and also in Scorpio.