"Hedgewytch" cartomancy practice

goosegirl

I promise you're not missing something, thinbuddha :) It's just a lot of red tape to go through in setting up a study group--working around copyright issues, getting permission from both the moderators and the oracle's author, figuring out how to start thread for the individual cards or parts of the Hedgewytchery poem in the correct way.

To let you guys in on knowing what's been up I'll post a couple correspondences (thankfully those to Wendywu, one of our moderators along with Aulruna, include the gist of the notes I've posted on to Ms. Dawn R. Jackson, too.) So here they are (although I was tired when I wrote there were 3,328 combinations for the cards--it's more like 52 cards which *then* have a ton of combinations, lol, to the tune of 52 times 3 for a 3-card spread, so about 156 combined meanings.) Anyway, here are those correspondences, and as this is all I'm doing today, a good bit should be accomplished (I'm walling up the door to the room, I swear:)

"Hi Wendywu,

I know this is a stretch, but I'm really hoping you could give me a tiny bit of feedback re: setting up an oracle study group.

My name is goosegirl and I'm trying to establish a study group for the oracle Hedgewytchery. I've emailed 4-5 moderators to date hoping for a small bit of confirmation as to how to have a study group as nice as this one (at the top of the page, easy to find, easy to navigate,) but I haven't heard back from anyone.

From what I've read about setting up oracle study groups, the first task at hand is to list the meanings of each of the cards as separate threads within the oracles forum. The next task is to create an index thread. Hedgewytchery doesn't have prescribed meanings for each of the cards, which are just a standard deck of playing cards, which makes it hard to do all of those first listing-the-meanings threads. In this system you combine the card color, the card's suit and the card's number/pip to arrive at the meaning just for the card. If my math's right, that'd be 32 cards, times 2 colors, times 4 suits, times 13 numbers/pips for a total of 3,328 combinations...and that's before you read a basic 3 card spread.

I guess my first question would be: there is a 3 stage poem for Hedgewytchery that explains red cards vs black cards, hearts/diamonds/clubs/spades, and then the numbers/pips. Should I list these parts of the poem under the oracle study thread to satisfy the first requirement of forming a study group? They mean little to nothing without blending all 3 parts just to read one card, but I'll list them if that's what's needed.

Secondly, how does one post an index thread?

I've members who are awaiting this study group with bated breath and the best I can offer until I hear back from a moderator is to just start the lessons and then ask for help moving them into the index thread once it's been created.

I *really* appreciate you reading this and hope with an anxious heart that possibly you might write back and be able to help this little coterie so interested in learning Hedgewytchery

With great thanks, Wendywu,

goosegirl"

"Hi goosegirl

What a wonderful idea!

Starting at the beginning - look at the format of other groups. Although the index of study threads within a group can look as if it is extremely formal, in practice a looser arrangement works better - people don't like to feel too forced into studying a particular card/area - they like to be free to choose and to start their own threads sometimes, within the group. However, if they do so, they must advise me or Aulruna that they have started a thread so that it can go in the index (see below)

These are the guidelines for oracle study groups:

Rules

Respect Copyright

You may post a short text excerpt only from articles by another author. Complete works may not be posted unless you have obtained written permission for its reproduction.

Starting a new Study Group

If you are interested in starting a new study group, start a thread with the name of the oracle in the title. This thread may be used for members to join and discuss the group.

Once the group begins, start each new thread with the name of the group/oracle. Usually each card gets its own thread.

Create an index thread, which links to all the group's threads. Inform the moderator, that an index has been created, so the moderator may add it to the master index.

Update your group's index thread, as threads are created.

I would be hesitant about accepting the Hedgewytchery poem in its entirety - even if posted in three sections. This is because of the very clearly stated request to respect copyright, and publishing an author's work on AT (even though credit would be given) violates that request. Perhaps those who express an interest in the group could all say whether or not they have access to the poem, and have a copy pm'd if they don't.

Other than that - good luck, and it sounds fascinating. Remember that good organisation depends on keeping the mods advised of the threads so that we can update the index

Have fun

Wendywu
cc: Aulruna - Co-Moderators, Oracles"

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendywu
"Perhaps those who express an interest in the group could all say whether or not they have access to the poem, and have a copy pm'd if they don't."

Other than that - good luck, and it sounds fascinating. Remember that good organization depends on keeping the mods advised of the threads so that we can update the index

Have fun

Wendywu
cc: Aulruna - Co-Moderators, Oracles
Hi Wendywu!

You may've just given us our god-send while awaiting word from the oracle's creator, Dawn R. Jackson. Making sure everyone has access to the poem and supporting text would be sensitive to everyone's needs. (((Great idea!!!)))

I've written 2 emails to the author, one yesterday afternoon, one this morning asking: 1) Might she be available for anything that might stump the group (on an infrequent basis, of course.) Question 2 asked if she might consider stopping over to the study group to perhaps speak on an aspect of Hedgewytchery of her choosing. This morning, just after reading your email, I posted her about copyright. I asked if her work was properly cited both to the author and the reference work, bare minimum, would it be o.k. to mention it as such in the study group. As it's been so soon since writing, I'm awaiting reply.

A question, though, about being able to quote only short passages from the author...Once we get past the poem and 8 color combination, there's really nothing to memorize, just assimilate. Would it be egregious to make those beginning threads things like, "The card colors," "The card suits." "The pips and face cards," to paraphrase parts of the poem without listing it all there? Ms. Jackson also has a bit a little further along in her text on tips for studying this method, could the tips be paraphrased instead of quoted? It feels like until we hear back from Ms.Jackson we'll be flying by the seats of our pants, lol!

You've been so good to write back that I'll write you the second I hear anything from Hedgewytchery's creator

Thank you, Wendywu!

P.S.

I've been touring the other study groups at your suggestion and I see what you mean about kind of following the rhythm they have going (I particularly like the part of PM-ing people before each period's lesson, arduous, but I give them tons of credit and may adopt this method, too )

I'm *esp.* happy to see how indexing works. Kind of an, "I'll get our ducks in a row, make a thread called Index, and then yourself and Aulruna step in to sort things out and make everything easier to find and do. You're already owed a dept of gratitude. :) "

goosegirl

I'm also wondering...

I had a teacher once with a really effective method of keeping everybody engaged and learning quickly. He presented materials for the week ahead on a Monday, he quizzed a little on a Wednesday, then he gave tests on Friday.

Would anybody be up for doing something similar (we can always change the days for convenience sake?) So maybe presenting material on one day, discussing the material a few days later, doing a quiz-lette then choosing someone to read for (with "homework" being to read for that someone.) On the third day we could chime in with our readings and discuss our results and how we arrived at them. Or would 3 days be too much? We could slim it down to just two days by choosing the person you'll read for on day one, then doing the quiz-lette as well as exchanging results on day 2.

Please, all, just let me know what would work for you or if you'd like to do something entirely different. My thoughts were that for at least the first reading we'd read each other--we could draw lots--that way when we come back to post readings and discuss there'd be no hesitation on getting feedback and seeing what works.

Thanks again,
goosegirl

inertia

Hello everyone! I can't wait to start!!!!! I read great suggestions and I feel I should post my thoughts, too. For me, the best way to learn is to absorb the "theory" in a certain amount.
I think we should keep the format of the original hedgewytchery "blog". For example:
1. The Basics (colours, suits, numerology-poem)
2. The Aces
3. The Twos
4. The Threes...and so on.

Then, we could start analyzing the combinations in a seperate post.
->Health, Timing, Domestic stuff, Applications(like computers, radio), Professions, Love etc. all these should be analyzed in theory so we could develop and expand our knowledge before moving to our own spreads. I could help write all these in the forum, I've already done it in my own diary so I have all what I need completely organized! :)

And the best part begins= PRACTISE. Reading for others should be in priority! 3-card Dialy readings, answering specific questions are a good way to start with. For me, this is the ultimate test as a cartomancer!

I'm open to anything!!! :D Let's start already! haha

Wendywu

Moderator Note

Just a gentle reminder that Readings should go in Oracle Readings - that way only members can access them; done anywhere else they are freely available on the net.

Also, if you do read in the threads, evil moderators will come and move them :D

But a Hedgewytchery Reading Circle would be good, with exchanges as frequent as you wished to make them.

Wendywu

inertia

Oh thank you Wendywu for the info! :D

silverwings94

I really love the way that you suggest to work with the cards here. I'm realy bad at tests an quizzes.
I saw where the moderator suggested putting the readings in the oracle readings and that only members would be able to access this, I am not a paying member so I don't know if I can partisapate in this. I hope I can.
I just received in the mail my Alice in Wonderland playing cards and they are awesome.
For this thread I will be using my playing cards from my Fortune Telling cards kit by Little. The cards are just beautiful.
Let me know if I can still partisapate cause I really wantt o learn this very much. I've read my book and also the Personal Prophesy book so now its just getting into the practice of reading for others
Namaste,
Kat
Hello everyone! I can't wait to start!!!!! I read great suggestions and I feel I should post my thoughts, too. For me, the best way to learn is to absorb the "theory" in a certain amount.
I think we should keep the format of the original hedgewytchery "blog". For example:
1. The Basics (colours, suits, numerology-poem)
2. The Aces
3. The Twos
4. The Threes...and so on.

Then, we could start analyzing the combinations in a seperate post.
->Health, Timing, Domestic stuff, Applications(like computers, radio), Professions, Love etc. all these should be analyzed in theory so we could develop and expand our knowledge before moving to our own spreads. I could help write all these in the forum, I've already done it in my own diary so I have all what I need completely organized! :)

And the best part begins= PRACTISE. Reading for others should be in priority! 3-card Dialy readings, answering specific questions are a good way to start with. For me, this is the ultimate test as a cartomancer!

I'm open to anything!!! :D Let's start already! haha

thinbuddha

I hate to be the guy to throw a wrench in the works at the last minute, but......

Wouldn't it make a LOT more sense to have a "playing card" sub forum within which Hedgewytch could be discussed along with other systems that utilize playing cards? I haven't looked, but I'll bet there are at least a couple schools of thought about the other oracles- I know there are several systems for playing cards......

Just sayin'

inertia

Hello silverwings94 ! I don't think that Wendy was referring only to forum subscribers, but to ALL members in general. I'm not a paying member either. We can still have exchange readings!! I've already participated in some lenormand readings! The moderator just underlined that we should post our readings in that section just to keep the forum organized. I guess we could have a link in our subforum that will direct us there.

thinbuddha
Yes! That would be better I guess. Like in the lenormand sub forum, there is a separate sub-sub-forum for Sylvie's system. I don't know why playing cards are not so popular anymore...

silverwings94

Oh I am so glad to hear this. I can't wait till this is finally up and running. I've been busy reading and doing little spreads for my self in hoping that my reading skills get better along with understanding the cards meanings. I also have a book called " Telling Fortunes by Cards" by Cicely Kent. It says its easy to understand but I am throughly confused by this book. I think I will stick with my book by Little and the Personal Prophesy and the Hedgewitchery site. Much easier to understand for a beginner.
Hello silverwings94 ! I don't think that Wendy was referring only to forum subscribers, but to ALL members in general. I'm not a paying member either. We can still have exchange readings!! I've already participated in some lenormand readings! The moderator just underlined that we should post our readings in that section just to keep the forum organized. I guess we could have a link in our subforum that will direct us there.

thinbuddha
Yes! That would be better I guess. Like in the lenormand sub forum, there is a separate sub-sub-forum for Sylvie's system. I don't know why playing cards are not so popular anymore...

Wendywu

Don't worry - members who aren't paying subscribers, such as Silverwings, can post in Oracle Readings. It is "outsiders" just casually googling who can't access the Readings forums. The way to make readings quickly identifiable is to have everyone title their reading thread like this:

"Hedgewytchery Circle (or Group or whatever title you guys choose) - date - blahblah & soandso

Not at all sure about a separate subforum for "playing cards only", but Aulruna and I will speak about it and maybe will raise it with Solandia if it seems feasible.