Why have more than one deck?

WinterRose

I've just ordered the Robin Wood Tarot deck from amazon, and it should be arriving today. I've already got one deck, but another deck is always useful, and it does me good to change my decks every once in a while as it means I read more into the cards, I pick things up etc. I think it does the decks good too to have a rest from being read. Do you have one deck or more? Do you think having multiple decks is a good idea or not, and why?

I'm just interested.... ;)

Edit: PS. - there seems to be a little confusion here... I mean owning more than one deck - e.g. Sharman-Caselli AND Robin Wood etc...

214red

i dont have alot of decks as i am not a collector.
I like different decks for different types of readings. i always think of tarot decks like shoes, some are good for going for a run , or hiking, some are pretty but not always practical.

Kanon

One is never enough (for me at least!) haha... And so many temptations here at forum. You own one, and you'll start with the another one, and so on.

WinterRose

Red, that's a great way of putting it! Tarot decks are like shoes... you're right!

Kanon - more than one of the same deck? That's cool!

Lleminawc

uh-oh, this is going to be a huge thread ...

I have about 30 decks, not that many by AT standards. Part of it is that you keep looking for the "one" deck that will speak to you, until you realise you're chasing a rainbow and you just have to put in the work with the decks you have. Bit like human relationships I suppose ...

WinterRose

Yip, I think it might be a big thread, Llem!

wytchwood

Yes I think most people end up with more decks either because they are searching for a perfect deck fro them or just because there are so many nice ones that turn the head. I feel that while it does a reader good to concentrate on one at a time and one would ultimately be enough if we could only be satisfied with it, reading with other decks gives more layers of meaning. Each deck has its own interpretation of the tarot and some cards which previously seemed vague can become clearer with a fresh perspective. With each deck I use, more layers of meaning are added to my understanding of the cards.

Still, I honestly think that with a steady approach, a simple TdM or RWS would do. *sigh* oh to be satisfied with that!

choirqueer

For me, having only one Tarot deck would be like only ever eating Cheerios... breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

More to the point, sometimes I find if I'm using the same deck over and over, I get desensitized to the images after a while. I need to look at some other pictures to get the messages. Also, some decks just resonate with different needs when I use them -- if I want really blunt honesty I'll pull out my old-school RWS, but if what I need is a hug and not a kick I've got my Tarot of the Spirit and my Gay Tarot...

214red

i forgot to say that i do see tarot cards as tools, so i have about 6, 2 i use all the time (RWS & Osho zen). again back to the shoes, i might have lots of them, but i usually only use 3 pairs on a daily basis.

The perfect deck for me is no deck really, not needing a deck would be my perfect deck, i basically want to stop using tarot as a crutch as i am doing now.simply read a person without aid of my cards, they are my comfort zone at the moment

gregory

Er..... :|.

and also - why NOT ?