Soul Radiance Tarot

full deck

4-color black and white

Well, in Photoshop, you can take a grayscale image and switch to a CMYK mode, which will render the image as a 4-color black image. This means that once you do that, if you go to your information pallette and check the color values, what was once just a b/w gamma value is now shown as various combinations of cyan, magenta, yellow and black ink. If you were working in RGB mode, it would show you the same information, just shifted from an RGB color space to a CMYK color space.

The CMYK color space is the space that a standard Offset Web Printer will print in as well as all other standard printers.

Once you put your image into the CMYK mode, you could then adjust the color balance to your tastes, more magenta to make it warmer in color or more cyan to make it "cooler". You can also affect this by adjusting the "saturation" values.

You should make sure your "color settings" in Photoshop are set up properly for your printer. Usually the printer can tell you more about this and it is very important since many beginning users have too much black ink in their color set up, resulting in muddy colors. On some of your card (ones with oranges and reds) this is *very* important. Your "Chariot" looks like it will need care with some of the little geometric patterns in that they may tend to become a little "dead" or "muddy" because of just such a problem of having any percentage of "black" in the parts of the image where it should be only cyan and magenta. You will probably need to go into the "black channel" and erase any black in those parts of your image.

I am assuming that you are familar with Photoshop and have experience in calibrating your computer monitor for working with CMYK images and have a good 4-color intermediate proofing printer (Epson, HP, etc.) Usually, I end up adjusting my "levels" to pull out more black in 4-color images like the ones you have. You can also do this by adjusting the individual "curves" for each ink.

Part of your preparation for printing should include some sort of final 4-color proof, preferably a proof that incorporates your final line screen. For your cards, I would shoot for 175-200 lpi, preferably 200 since this is more of a fine art endevour.

Someone posted a URL for a graphics forum as well. Therein you might find more information that would help you in your work.

Lastly, as we say in the States, RTFM :)

spunch

CMYK

God, that was very detailed. And very helpful. I do my images mainly in RGB mode, planning to switch to CMYK before thinking of actual (read "serious") printing. I know that most printing studios deal with CMYK mode, as, apparently, this is the only good way to print images.
So, in due time I'll study this more. For now, I have two more cards to make and then the Majors are finished! (unless I stard fidling with the cards all over again!)

Thank you very very much for your swift and detailed reply!

azuremariposa

spunch, i am continually amazed with your deck...i am in love! if you ever publish it, put me at the top of your pre-order list, ok? ;)

many blessings

~azure

full deck

No problem

Just try to get together with someone there who specializes in print production. You will want to tweak some of your images because of what I had mentioned. It takes a little time but it is worth it. Remember, the images with alot of overlapping cyan and magenta (blues and orange-red) will want adjusting to take out all the black at those points, unless you have part of another image there that wants black (like the chess board pattern).

Hang in there :)

WillieHewes

Ye gods, what have I been missing! These cards are amazing, I'm very impressed Spunch. These cards are beautiful. Please finish them and get them printed, I want a copy! :)

spunch

WillieHewes said:
Ye gods, what have I been missing! These cards are amazing, I'm very impressed Spunch. These cards are beautiful. Please finish them and get them printed, I want a copy! :)

Thanx very much! (*a blushing smily*)

spunch

CHANGE OF DESIGN

Hi there!

I just wanted to let you know that I've changed the design of my page. Now there is a separate link to each of the cards, the cards now being a lot bigger images. So feel free to come by and tell me what you think!

Love
Spunch

http://web.vip.hr/davor.planinec.vip/

Astraea

Just beautiful

Davor, your website is beautifully designed and inviting, and your cards are exquisite.

azuremariposa

well, you already know i love them...and i want them!! :D

the site is beautiful, i love the set up and especially the new watermark (much better!!)...it is tres faboo, dahlink! ;)

i'm in love w/your deck! :| hehe

many blessings...

full deck

Yeah, the site overhaul is happening

That will help sell your design to a potential publisher, I suspect.

Good Job.

Having the small thumbnails of all the major trumps at the top also helps give one an idea of the "look and feel" of the series and that is good idea.