Where do you store your tarot cards?

Le Fanu

O this is such a fave topic!

I have my top ten (actually nearing 15) regularly used decks and Ive bought, over the years, antique/ second hand boxes from flea markets which perennial favourite decks live in.

Apart from looking nice, it means Im focussed (in theory) on decks for usage and (in theory) de-enables me because if Im not going to use a deck regularly for reading, it´s not going to be honoured by it´s own box, it´s going to stay in the original tuck box...Then I have my cycles and things get moved around, and decks which have been on the shelf in tuck boxes for ages, suddenly get put into action and get their own "proper" box!

Ive got some wonderful ones. Some are even in bags AND boxes. Boxes inlaid with ivory or marquetry. My Bohemian Gothic Silver lives in a dark red scuffed velvet Victorian jewellery / music box. Lined with cushioned silk like a coffin! All within easy reach of the sofa. The Victorian Romantic is in an old silk embroidered pouch inside a box with a drawer... All very lovingly and carefully stored...

The rest are just piled up in their tuck boxes on the bookshelf...

EarthFaery

Most of mine are crammed into a cute basket I found at Target which sits underneath an end table. A lot of them didn't come with boxes or the boxes have been beaten up beyond salvation so I wrap those ones in clothes or in cloth bags that I pick up here and there. The basket is full so the 5 decks that I never ever use are on a shelf collecting dust.
I always have one of my Hanson~Roberts decks on me at all times, usually the little one because my purse is never big enough:)

Sinduction

I store all of my decks in their own hand made bag. You can see photos here.

They stay well protected in my purse this way. If not in my purse, they are in a plastic storage bin. I keep the boxes they come in flattened and stored away, along with the lwb.

The only problem I have with drawstring bags, or any other bag really, is that if they don't properly fit the deck I get bent cards.

Uriel

swanpetal said:
I keep mine in a special wood box in salt. But that smaller box is inside a larger box where I keep all my tarot items [books, decks not in use, candles]. I also keep a large piece of silk to lay my cards out on when I do readings. I guess it is a ritual for me.....

How do you others store your decks?

I also keep mine in a wooden box with salt... along with folded paper.
The paper is used as my reading surface... also ritual for me. I'm drawn to earth elements is why the wooden box and and paper... hmmm... but silk would be an earth element, too.

GryffinSong

May I ask what the salt is for? Thanks. :)

Sammie

I just finished knitting a Tarot Bag which I designed which I call The Tarot Sock. I used some left over sock yarn and it turned out just how I wanted it - holds the cards snuggly so they don't shift around.

I posted the instuctions in another thread and will attach the instructions here, too.

There are pictures and more details on my blog.

Sammie

Attachments

• TarotSock.doc
    6.2 KB · Views: 218

Penny Dreadfuls

In their boxes for the ones I use somewhat in a card catalog, in bags which I have loads of for decks I use frequently in a smaller glass door bookcase, and stored away in huge boxes for ones I rarely or never use.

I do have various wooden boxes but those are more for magic or ritual decks.

Morwenna

Sinduction, those are flat-out gorgeous!! :D

Logiatrix

The one deck I carry with me travels in a suede leather drawstring pouch. I keep a black square of ultra-suede with the cards for use as a reading cloth. I also have a favorite oracle that I keep in a velvet drawstring bag, also with a coordinated ultra-suede reading cloth.

Other decks are stored in their original boxes in a chest of drawers with other related tools (runes, I Ching, related books, etc.). I have other bags for decks in there, too, that are of various materials, as well as numerous spread cloths.

Lately, though, I've preferred to focus on just the two decks.
:)

swanpetal

GryffinSong said:
May I ask what the salt is for? Thanks. :)

The salt helps to absorbed any negative energies surrounding the cards. That way, when brought out again to do a reading, the cards will be "fresh" and ready to use without previous energies effecting the reading.

I learned this ritual from a good friend and really liked it but I only do this with a couple of my decks.