How to use the Tarot for fortune-telling?

Little Hare

Sar said:
I would love a fortune-telling forum, by the way.

Me too. That's the whole reason i picked up my first tarot deck when i was 12.

Nytebugg

I'd like a fortune-telling forum as well.

Debra

Here's a great take on "cold readings" from Mary Greer; I think she's nailed it: http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/cold-reading-and-tarot-part-1/

Ok, fortune-telling, funnily enough, what about this: A steady client frequently asked about the prospects of converting the garage at their house into a workshop for her handmade products, her small business that she runs out of her kitchen. Cards kept coming up no, no, no, and the future the Chariot. Will and determination and all that jazz.

So I just learned that she bought an old airstream trailer, parked it in her driveway, and her husband has gutted it to fit up as a workshop.

At this point I wish I had gone for fortune-telling instead of insight. I don't know if she realizes it herself--the cards told true.

KariRoad

X d'Epee vs 10 of Swords kinda thing

JSNYC said:
The question for the thread is: how does someone use the Tarot for fortune-telling and how is that different from how "everyone else" uses the Tarot?
Fortune-telling with Tarot is simply reading the cards based on the pictures, so generally speaking most people do use the Tarot simply as a fortune-telling deck of cards. Enjoy! :)

Bernice

KariRoad said:
Fortune-telling with Tarot is simply reading the cards based on the pictures, so generally speaking most people do use the Tarot simply as a fortune-telling deck of cards. Enjoy! :)
Purely visual readings seem to have become the 'in thing' now, with all the RWS variation decks. But there are still loads of us who prefer structure, some basic system. If a person is just going to read the images then why specifically use a tarot deck? Even oracle decks have some basic structure if you read the LWBs. So I don't think it can be said that fortune telling is confined to focussing on pictures. Fortune tellers can and do use whatever method suits them, according to the tool they choose to 'tell' with.

Bee :)

Sar

KariRoad said:

Not quite right. After a while, you recognize certain trails that leads to this and that track.

tarot heart

Debra said:
Here's a great take on "cold readings" from Mary Greer; I think she's nailed it: http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/12/01/cold-reading-and-tarot-part-1/

Ok, fortune-telling, funnily enough, what about this: A steady client frequently asked about the prospects of converting the garage at their house into a workshop for her handmade products, her small business that she runs out of her kitchen. Cards kept coming up no, no, no, and the future the Chariot. Will and determination and all that jazz.

So I just learned that she bought an old airstream trailer, parked it in her driveway, and her husband has gutted it to fit up as a workshop.

At this point I wish I had gone for fortune-telling instead of insight. I don't know if she realizes it herself--the cards told true.

Ok, so let me get this straight...the airstream is the chariot? May I ask what type of reading you did, was it a celtic cross?

Debra

Hi tarotheart :)

I did many readings for her last year, different spreads depending on her questions. As part of her larger readings, she almost always asked how to proceed with her business and the Chariot came up over and over. When she asked specifically about converting a building or building a new one to get her business out of the kitchen, it was always no no no!

She is an enterprising, creative and energetic woman who loves her handicraft business. We both saw the Chariot as "keep going the way you're going" (a couple of times, in the context of the reading, it even looked like they might be moving house, which surprised us both because they've put a lot of work into their home and property and love where they live).

So yeah, the airstream trailer converted to a workshop...I see as the Chariot, with the benefit of hindsight.

The point being, I'm finding that a very literal view of the cards (chariot = moving conveyance) is more "fortune-telling" than "insight" and it's a real struggle for me to give up the "let's get insight!" approach and "see" how a Chariot could literally answer her question about building a workshop.

For example, I did a reading last night for our household move (this week) and how we'll settle in at the other end. When the Anna K King of Swords came up--a chess player--my husband cracked up--strategic planning is a big pain for a household move and strategic planning is actually what his job will be. So we both saw that card literally.

This made me nervous about some of the other cards, though--3 of swords came up twice, and the Hermit, both in positions that didn't make me happy. He wanted to see them as big life lessons but I'm suspicious that there may be something really literal there, specific "fortune-telling," that I'm not seeing.

tarot heart

Hi Debra,

Very interesting. So, if you were going to "fortune-tell" those cards, would you give a negative future forecast? I thought each tarot card has both a positive and negative slant. Sort of best-case, worse case scenarios. Couldn't the three of swords mean "good riddance to what you've left behind?" I'm not sure about the hermit though. Why did you get a bad feeling?

Grizabella

I think Debra is now on her way to Hawaii but maybe she'll answer when she gets on the ground again and gets a little bit settled. It's very interesting about the Chariot.

I'm glad to see this thread still running and people still discussing this topic. I've had company so I haven't had a lot of time to pop in here the last couple of days. I'll be busy again today but hope to get back in here this evening maybe.