How to use the Tarot for fortune-telling?

Grizabella

Yeah, I'm with Lillie here. I've spent my day housecleaning and thinking to myself "well, actually, it's the same except that I don't 'blame the victim', so to speak, for the outcome being different than the prediction." My idea for a fortune-telling sub-forum was that it be somewhere that we who love fortune telling can post without getting trampled under in threads where there's a loud faction of "no, the cards shouldn't be used for fortune telling at all." We only seem to see posts about the ones who get busted for it for being crooked but no attention is given to the rest of us.

Like the Professional forum----we could post experiences, questions, swap "war stories" kind of---not a forum where we who do tell fortunes could formally teach which deck to use and how to do it at all. That wasn't my idea. I get the impression that there are people forming a ring of skepticism here, with the idea being "OK, we don't believe in this, but strut your stuff, let's see what you do and whether it's worth our giving you your own space or not." I'm uncomfortable with that. There's a lot to be learned in the Professional forum for those who aren't full time professionals who care to observe and chime in and ask questions, just as there would be in a Fortune Telling subforum. See what I mean?

Like others, when I tell a fortune, whether I use cards or one of the other methods, I simply foretell the future without adding the "of course, if it doesn't come about, then you've done something to change the course of events" disclaimer. It's fun, it really does work a lot of the time, whether others choose to believe that or not, and it's true to the old time traditional use of the cards. As I've seen mentioned here at times, it's a much more common use of the cards in other countries and, after all, this IS an international forum so I don't believe we're so few who would enjoy that subforum.

Maybe, though, there's a hesitation on the part of Solandia for fear that it would attract some of the more disreputable fortune tellers? I'm asking sincerely here, because I don't know. I've always wondered why there was such a bias against fortune telling here. It doesn't make me love AT any less, but I truly have wondered if that were it. There's a lot of talk of how we should clean up the public image of the Tarot users and Diviners, so what better way than to do it here where those of us who aren't scalawags and scoundrels can show that it can be done honorably?

I just thought I'd add that sometimes it will appear that a fortune teller has it wrong, but what's wrong is that the timing is off and that the events will unfold exactly as the cards have shown, but just at a later time. Sometimes at a much later time. That's one of my favorite things about fortune telling. When someone says to me, "Oh, you were wrong," I just often wink and smile and say "sometimes even the best of us can get it wrong, but if I were you, I'd keep my eyes open." or something to that effect. Sometimes I just let it go. Sometimes I do get it wrong and I can admit to that, too. But it's my biggest validation of the cards when they come back a year or two later and say to me, "You remember when you said----whatever----well it DID happen!" and that's why I do it. Not because of being given a "you were right" because it's not me who is right---it's the cards. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be so hooked for a lifetime on fortune telling.

I don't need the cards for introspection about myself. I do that in other ways.

Caedryn

I was not aware that 'fortune telling or predicting a future event' was frowned on at AT, because they are always being asked. From the threads I see, there are more fortune telling questions than not...ie. Will X ask me out? How will my date go tonight? Will I get the job? etc.

I pretty much have the same view as Lillie, but I think that predicting and improvement are both equally valid and important depending on the situation.

I could ask...Will I win the upcoming court case against so and so? Cards say no. Then you could move on to Q2...What can I do to change this, so I win the said Court case. I see tarot card reading as a way to both predict and change the future...depending on your focus. Me...if the cards predict an outcome I do not like, then I want to know how, if possible, to change that, and the cards give me that advantage...Knowledge=power.

Sometimes the cards will say...sorry, but nothing you can do will change that outcome, because it is out of your hands, and depends too much on other factors not in your control. I say okay, but there are people who know how to bend the strands...but this is venturing into a different area and topic.

~ C

Lillie

I have to say that I have never noticed 'fortune telling' or fortune telling type questions being frowned upon.

I have noticed that some people like to have a question that suits their type of reading, and will talk about rewording the question to make it less predictive and more a sort of 'what can I do to make this happen in my life' type question.

I have heard it say 'how can I make it happen' is more pro active than 'when will it happen'. which is rather passive.

But it's just two types of reading and I think they both have their place.

OK, some people say that that predictive questions ought to be reworded. I don't think so. I just take each question as it comes, but other people can do whatever they feel comfortable with.

Of course a predictive reading has much more chance of being totally wrong.

If someone asks 'When will I meet the new love of my life?' And I say 'Next Thursday' I will either be right or wrong.

When I'm wrong I just suck it up and live with it.

'What can I do to bring love into my life?' has a much vaguer answer, and as Griz says it does leave the onus upon the questioner. It also leaves a lot of scope for empty platitudes like 'learn to love yourself, be more grounded' and all sorts of vague stuff like that which can really mean anything you want it to mean and therefore the reading is never wrong, if love don't come then they weren't grounded, didn't love themselves, whatever.

I like fortune telling.

I'll be doing alethiometer readings again in December and a lot of those are fortune telling. I enjoy it.
So long as no one takes my answers too seriously. Most of all it's fun! Or at least it ought to be.
Especially with an alethiometer!

Grizabella

Well said, Lillie. I especially like and agree with this last part:

Of course a predictive reading has much more chance of being totally wrong.

If someone asks 'When will I meet the new love of my life?' And I say 'Next Thursday' I will either be right or wrong.

When I'm wrong I just suck it up and live with it.

'What can I do to bring love into my life?' has a much vaguer answer, and as Griz says it does leave the onus upon the questioner. It also leaves a lot of scope for empty platitudes like 'learn to love yourself, be more grounded' and all sorts of vague stuff like that which can really mean anything you want it to mean and therefore the reading is never wrong, if love don't come then they weren't grounded, didn't love themselves, whatever.

I like fortune telling.

I clicked "submit" before I meant to in the first place.

I do believe, though, that there's a heavy and unmistakable emphasis on the non-fortune telling type of readings around here, though. I've tried my best to conform and fit in but I don't prefer doing the reworded stuff. I like fortune telling and I still think we need a sub-forum for us bracelet-clanking-scarf-sporting-hoop-wearing fortune tellers. (Even though I don't always dress exactly like that.) :thumbsup:

Lillie

Grizabella said:
I do believe, though, that there's a heavy and unmistakable emphasis on the non-fortune telling type of readings around here, though. I've tried my best to conform and fit in but I don't prefer doing the reworded stuff. I like fortune telling and I still think we need a sub-forum for us bracelet-clanking-scarf-sporting-hoop-wearing fortune tellers. (Even though I don't always dress exactly like that.) :thumbsup:

I agree with you, there is an emphasis on the non fortune telling (or counselling type reading) on AT.

I have never tried to conform with that. I don't really feel it's my job to counsel people, I'm not qualified. If the cards give some idea as to future actions to be taken, or some general advice then of course I will give it, but it's not the main part of the readings I do, nor do I want it to be.

I also feel that the future isn't set in stone, we have free will and that can change things, but I also believe that a lot of time predicting the future can be done and I enjoy the challenge of trying.

Yes. A sub forum would be fun!
And useful too. :)

zannamarie

Grizabella said:
I just thought I'd add that sometimes it will appear that a fortune teller has it wrong, but what's wrong is that the timing is off and that the events will unfold exactly as the cards have shown, but just at a later time. Sometimes at a much later time. That's one of my favorite things about fortune telling. When someone says to me, "Oh, you were wrong," I just often wink and smile and say "sometimes even the best of us can get it wrong, but if I were you, I'd keep my eyes open." or something to that effect. Sometimes I just let it go. Sometimes I do get it wrong and I can admit to that, too. But it's my biggest validation of the cards when they come back a year or two later and say to me, "You remember when you said----whatever----well it DID happen!" and that's why I do it. Not because of being given a "you were right" because it's not me who is right---it's the cards.
To me, this implies fortune telling is merely telling the future--any time past the present--and timing is not a part of fortune telling.

I would think timing, whether asked by the querent or given by the diviner is a part of fortune telling. If I'm told something is going to happen within the next year and three years later that thing happens, I believe the fortune teller was wrong.

Or is it that people who get fortune telling readings don't really care about the reading so it doesn't matter if the timing is wrong? It's just for entertainment purposes and no meaningful information comes from the reading?

I'd like to think if I spent time doing a reading that the querent might be able to do something more with the reading than just sit back and wait and see what happens. Or is that really what a fortune-telling reading is?

I guess I'm still unclear about what others consider to be a fortune telling reading. I'm the type of person who feels I have free will to affect my life so a sit back and wait reading isn't something I feel has a whole lot of value. Perhaps that's why I consider myself a diviner, but not a fortune teller even though I've giving timing and other predictive information in readings when that information comes to me as I do the reading or it's requested as part of the reading.

:confused:

Milfoil

Ah. Now I thought we were talking about something completely different. Instead of 'reading' each nuance of the cards imagery, one has a set meaning for that card which is concrete and predictive. For example: Ace of Wands - Now is the time to start. That sort of thing.

Grizabella

I've never had anyone I read for just "sit back and wait because the fortune teller told me thus and so would happen." I've had a lot of people get a fortune told by me for fun and then come back wide-eyed at some time later on and say "it really happened!" I don't always give a time frame because I'm not asked for one always, so it's not like that, zannamarie. If I say a year and it doesn't happen in a year, then I was wrong in the time I predicted. I'm not going to claim success if it's three years later, as you seem to hint that I (or others) might do dishonestly.

Fortune telling is fun. It's also amazing and mysterious sometimes. People get fortunes told for fun a lot of the time---they don't all come seeking solemn, serious answers and then twiddling their thumbs waiting for things to happen. They go on with their lives and probably never think of the reading again till something happens to remind them. Others take it more seriously, but I think you underestimate the intelligence and integrity of both the fortune tellers and their customers when you assume the fortune teller spouts a bunch of crap and takes false credit for "hits" to a bunch of sheep with no better sense than to go to a fortune teller in the first place and then sit back and do nothing about their own lives and futures. That couldn't be further from the truth.

There are people who will consult a reader regularly with all kinds of concerns and they do take it more seriously. Their habit is "let's see what the cards say" but I don't have to play nursemaid and remind them all the time that they have to be "pro-active". Being pro-active to some people is asking the fortune teller and then with that input from the cards, deciding what would be their best course of action. But then---isn't that what the "counseling" types would have them do? (I'm using the term "counseling types" because I don't know how else to separate the two schools of thought right now. I'm tired. It's just easiest to use that term, but I don't mean it disrespectfully.)

I think that people under the misconception that it's like that would learn a lot if there were a fortune telling forum. And I also think they'd find that there's not such a big stretch between what they do and what I do and what Lillie does and others who tell fortunes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling fortunes----nothing at all.

I do see a strong trend toward fortune telling becoming a lost art. Certainly so in the US and here on AT, whether others see it that way or not. And a strong trend toward just using the cards "reflectively", I think someone called it, in which case the reader isn't sticking their neck out by telling a fortune and chancing being wrong.

By the way, I don't do predictive readings in hopes I'll be right and make myself look good. If I'm asked for one, I do it earnestly and to the best of my ability, right or wrong, to provide what the seeker has requested. That's the whole of it. If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. But I've done my best to provide what I was asked for and that's what's important to me. I'm sure others who tell fortunes would say the same thing.

Grizabella

Milfoil said:
Ah. Now I thought we were talking about something completely different. Instead of 'reading' each nuance of the cards imagery, one has a set meaning for that card which is concrete and predictive. For example: Ace of Wands - Now is the time to start. That sort of thing.

That's not how I use Tarot, Millie. I think Lenormand is more that way. Others might. I guess maybe I should stop and figure out how to analyze more exactly how it works for me, but I don't necessarily have set cards as you describe. For timing I use the suits, though. Is that what you mean?

Milfoil

I just thought that JSNYC was suggesting doing that with one deck, taking a rarely used deck in one's collection and assigning set answers to each card then reading with it for predictive purposes.

I think I got the wrong end of the stick. :)