Stopping a Tarot addiction (serious question)...ruined my life

CloudRain899

Please help. In the past 8 months I have ruined my life by spending £1660 on tarot readings, quitting a great job based on a tarot prediction that didn't come to pass (you'll meet a guy if you leave your job in November) and basically ended up broken-hearted by letting someone reject and treat me appallingly, who I would have rejected first ages ago if the readings hadn't portrayed a good future between us. The very first reading I got done, the King of Swords (my love interest) + 9 of cups came out in the final outcome of the CC spread and the reader said I was going to have a wonderful experience with him, it's going to be a wish come true. From then on I was hooked- the many readings I got done after that kept showing a possible future between us, which I fully believed because the past and present were freakishly accurate in every reading. In reality this guy actually mistreated me all year (which showed up in the cards, but the future was implying he'd realise the error of his ways and change) but now has finally broken my heart officially by rejecting me outright. Now the tarot shows 'no future between us, move on' but I'm still finding it so hard to accept just because of the 9 of cups next to his Court card in the very first reading!?

The problem is I still love the Tarot and believe in it, even though my relationship with it has ruined my life (I know it's not the cards fault, it's mine). I have installed website blockers for online readings, sold my decks and vowed myself not to get another professional reading or go anywhere near the Tarot again- unless something happens in real life that shows me that the past 8 months weren't a mistake, or the prediction really does come true later on!? (extremely unlikely).

Has anyone gone thru something similar or has any advice they could give me to quell my emotional urges? Its only been 6 hours and I already miss it! I know this isn't healthy or good for me in anyway. I think I definitely need to quit Tarot and I have told myself that if it's meant to be (Tarot being in my life) then something will happen that will change the way I'm feeling right now, like something will happen that will give me a strong enough reason to go back to Tarot, if it's meant to be?

x

La Force

Please help.

Has anyone gone thru something similar or has any advice they could give me to quell my emotional urges? Its only been 6 hours and I already miss it! I know this isn't healthy or good for me in anyway. I think I definitely need to quit Tarot and I have told myself that if it's meant to be (Tarot being in my life) then something will happen that will change the way I'm feeling right now, like something will happen that will give me a strong enough reason to go back to Tarot, if it's meant to be?

x

Okay first off, write yourself with lipstick, if you have some, on you bathroom mirror, I love tarot, Tarot doesn't tell the future, Everyday things change. I will stay away from tarot reading that predict the future only.

Now after that get yourself a tarot deck, and the only time from here on in you and only you play with the cards. That way you still feeding your addiction, but putting it into your hands and only your hands, as in your in control of your own life. and not others. Do not do predictive readings. only do self help reading on you and you alone. to help you move and progress past this. Put the power back in your hands

Hope this helps

gregory

Quite honestly - this is the LAST place someone fighting a tarot addiction should be, for a start. :D

But let's face it - when we have loads personally invested in some issue or other, we see what we hope to see in the cards - not to mention that we go to other readers in the hope that they will deliver the vision we are determined to see.

It's an obsession, like any other - and if it weren't tarot, you'd be starting on horoscopes or runes or simply stalking the guy.

What you saw was - not there. You wanted to see it. But it wasn't there to be seen. - based on what you have posted here. You are not "believing in tarot" - you are believing in "something will happen to make what I want to happen come to pass." That is not how tarot works. That is not how life works.

And the biggie - you got a reading from someone who wanted to hook you in. So she told you what she could see you wanted to hear. As you say - you were hooked. But hooked on a lie.

You don't have to give up on tarot - but try not using it for prediction and fortune telling. Try asking it what YOU can change about YOURSELF to make your life better. Leave the guy out of it. He has nothing to do with you.

ETA - and yes, what she said - use the cards to tell stories with. Read on TV characters. PLAY !

danieljuk

I have been in a similar situation but not so severe!
I think we get into this addiction because we don't have faith in the future or with our own decision making! Tarot makes us feel safer! I know I used it as a safety mechanism in my life.

Why not try (gently) not making any predictions or future readings. Just see what happens. I don't read about everything anymore, I am quite selective. I have cut back on my own readings. I like finding out things as a surprise!

Why not focus on reading for others, you could do readings here for people or take part in a circle? (they will open again very soon for December tarot circles). Why not focus on psychological spreads about now and about your personality and situations. What are your options in a situation (look at the options but not future answers with it).

I made for myself a list of strict tarot rules. They are things like don't ask a question more than once in 30 days. I severely restrict the paid readings I am allowed. I can have them as a treat at certain times of the year.

I think this is an addiction like any other and you might need to seek professional help with it because the scale of it is large. There is many charities for things like addiction and maybe for gambling even that might help in the UK. It's not easy to just stop but would at least look at some websites about how you break it! I am really glad though you see that this is unhealthy!

wishing you the best with it CloudRain899 :heart:

SofiaS.

Hello Sweetheart!

I've never been in a similar situation, but I can imagine you might be going through a hell of a difficult time. I'm going to be honest with you: indeed, you should step aside from tarot for an while and focus on yourself. Get out, change setting, make a date with friends.... occupy your mind.

You're too distressed, which is normal, and you MUST NURTURE yourself. The way you feel, your relationship with tarot right now is simply not balanced, thus avoiding it would be for the best. Further, i think you misunderstood the significance of Tarot...

Tarot doesn't predict ultimate truths... tarot, in the best of possibilities, offers insights on what might come, but best approach, offers insight on how you should do in certain situations. It was told to you that you would meet a guy if you left a job, but think with me... would the chance of meeting a guy be good enough to drop a good job? It said it would happen, but was it really a good idea?

Furthermore, and prob. the most important, out there there's good tarot readears, but also people that read to create illusions, and create illusions to gain money. I don't know the readers you meet, but do you think that having one asking to drop your job to meet a guy would be responsible?

The good news, we learn by our mistakes and I'm sure you will overcome these struggles. Take a break, take a time to ponder over the past issues and analyse it. Learn from this experience and drawn the type of behaviours that were destructive and the ones you can use to stand up and walk out of the caos. It will take some time, but you will suceed. Just don't blame yourself, as we all are humans and thus prone to make mistakes.

Learn from it, be sure you will turn this situation around. Maybe, in case you do believe, use this time as a opportunity to connect with God. In the end you will be stronger! :D

love,

Sofia

La Force

What you need to tell yourself, which is the biggest step you have already taken is RECOGNITION, You recognized that you LOVE TAROT, that's in it's self is NOT BAD, it's what and how you have come to USE it and how you have DEPENDED on it. That is a huge hurdle.

Everyone so far as Advice that the Core is Predictive readings are what have become UNHEALTHY for you. So take the advice on Just severing the Predictive Readings. as well as put rules down for yourself, you know where the issues ly so stay away from that part of Tarot. Take my advice, enjoy tarot for yourself, and as suggest read for others, enjoy the good things that tarot can offer you.

:)

wish you the best

theboomz

I disagree that this is the last place you should be. STOP spending money on those people. They feel obligated (I assume) to follow your lead in the reading and not modify your questions to make them more helpful.

I suggest being here (100 percent disagree with Gregory :p)
and learning how reading actually works. You can do it, too. You don't need to go to those readers, and you can get readings here from other members (if you join, but it's totally cheap and worth it.) What you're going to regret is not being able to spend that money you laid down for the decks you're going to want to collect.

I don't know who in their right mind would tell a sitter that if they quit their job in November, they will find a guy. I would love to know what cards she was looking at for that!! Holy Moly.

There are options in life and Tarot is best used as a tool for you to find those options and find ways to work on and accept yourself and others. I do see people here that phrase their questions in a fatalistic way, like "will we be together" instead of "how can I act to facilitate getting in to a strong relationship" ... that type of question anyway.

I'm positive that the more you know about it, the less destructive it will be. There is a wealth of information online about Tarot, so start studying today. Read this forum...

gregory

I suggest being here (100 percent disagree with Gregory :p)
Hey, I hope you read my whole post. I can have a tongue in my cheek, tha knows :D

La Force

I just wanted to make another comment.

I glad that you started this thread. Why cause this just show how some people professional ABUSE the tarot. This is a good reminder for other to beware and not to get taken in by those that abuse it, rope you in, In all tarot books and here on AT it is stressed not to abuse rhe tarot proffessionally as in means for profit, etc. Its a shame that you were a victim to this side of the tarot.