Pros and Cons Thread #2 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Dee Ell

Fenestra

Well, since this is supposed to be a Pros AND Cons and Sophia77 has mostly heard just cons about the Fenestra, I thought I'd share a couple of posts from previous threads that have some of both...

In the "Favorite Decks and WHY" thread:
It is a toss-up between the Fenestra and the Rabbit. I never would have picked either one for a favorite. A couple of the cards in the Fenestra annoy me but the artwork flows so well in readings showing the interactions between cards. Certain cards just really well illustrate certain aspects of my life. There is an emotional intensity from the colors and abstract elements of the artwork.

From the "Who Likes Fenestra Tarot?" thread:
I like it a lot as a practical, working deck. It's the deck I keep in my desk at work for quick readings for myself, or others if they ask. I love that many of the characters look androgynous.

I actually really like the Fenestra, although I did own a copy, sold it, and then I missed it and re-purchased it. As I said in another thread, I think that there is something very classical about it. It has some of the frills associated with Art Noveau artwork but there is a clarity to the artwork and the muted colors. It's definitely a Rider-Waite clone and it doesn't deviate much from the core of Rider-Waite imagery. But of course, the artwork is softer and more feminine.

It's not a deck that challenges me or stretches me as a reader as some other decks do. But it's a very solid deck that I find I get consistent and reliable readings with. I love the high gloss and really enjoy working with this deck.

From the "Unpopular Decks You Really Like" thread:
I genuinely came here to mention the Fenestra too - great minds! I just used this deck this morning after a long break, and just love its tones. I have read a lot about the faces being all of the same, and whilst I can see that, it's still a gorgeous deck that is a pleasure to read with.

Full disclosure: yes, I have one available for Trade in the Trading Forum, but everyone has different tastes, and as I said, this is the Pros AND Cons thread so I thought it might be helpful to share... ;)

Simplexity

WRT Fenestra

The Fenestra Tarot was actually my first deck, and I have to agree: it's a very straightforward deck. The Court cards don't have very strong symbols, at least not ones that I connected to, but the High Priestess card is one of my favorites ever, and the Nine of Pentacles is probably my favorite depiction of that card. I didn't think of the characters as melancholy, but there are a lot of repetitive drawings, a lot of characters that could probably have been drawn a little more uniquely.

My deck at least was smaller than usual tarot decks, which made it easier to shuffle despite the thicker card stock.

kalliope

Fenestra:

I loved the color palette and the muted, faded, stencil-like quality of the backgrounds. It's stylish, as Debra said, and I liked the art deco/nouveau (shows you how much I remember my art history :neutral: ) swirls of the frames and other design elements. I still find it attractive when I see images online and am sad I no longer have it. Even though the 9 of Pentacles woman seems much more contemporary than the rest of the deck with her leather pants, I really liked her in particular!

In the end, though, I traded it in at our local shop because I wasn't using it. I think I wanted more masculine energy from the males in the deck. This isn't always something I notice or care about at all, but for some reason the guys in this deck kept catching my attention for the wrong reasons. They reminded me of the melancholy, pretty-boy artist types I crushed on way back in my teens, and that hit the wrong note for me. :laugh: Oh well.

Dee Ell

They reminded me of the melancholy, pretty-boy artist types I crushed on way back in my teens, and that hit the wrong note for me. :laugh: Oh well.

hahahahahaha - that's hilarious kalliope (in hindsight, of course) - I can totally see that perspective about the guys in this deck. Thanks for making me smile this morning :)

Sophia77

Fenestra Tarot

Thanks all! You gave me a lot to consider.

velvetina

Animal Lords

funnily, I was thinking about this recently - I quite like this deck, the artwork is exquisite.

I don't really use it because I find the juxtaposition of certain animals with particular cards can be somewhat jarring.

There are some - for example the Fox-Magician- that I love.

However, I believe the faults of this deck lie with me and not the creator/artist. I daresay if I took the trouble, I'd understand & appreciate better why, for example, the Ace of Pentacles is a cassowary

BUT *STOP PRESS!!!!*** as I am writing this post, I have the deck in front of me & realised, whilst going thru' the cards one by one to find examples to illustrate my opinions, I realise that I actually 'get' more cards than I thought I did; that it is a gorgeous & clever & fun deck!

In fact, I've just enabled myself!

The card stock is lovely too :)

Le Fanu

Yes, I havent used it enough to pick out disadvantages - but it is a lovely deck - sort of Fantastic Menagerie-ish without the hefty price tag. Very clever and detailed - like children's story book illustrations. I remember when I bought it being very pleasantly surprised - but so many decks and all that - I just haven't done it full justice.

Disadvantages? LoS borders & keywords? But colours and detail are lovely.

emmsma

Animal Lords

I haven't used this one in awhile but I was very happy with it. I got it in a lot set and was never interested before it came into my possession.

It became the fave deck of the bunch. Its beautiful, and reads easily and clearly.

And I trimmed it, so no pesky titles or borders. :)

Laura Borealis

Thanks people :) That helps!

I have the Amazon page open... yes I followed the AT link! Just haven't clicked that "Add to Cart" button yet. Finger... hovering...