Collecting decks by non-readers - is it OK ?

gregory

closrapexa said:
A Tarot deck is, until used, a bunch of pieces of paper with pretty pictures on them.
Even a non-reader like Mad Gregory reckons that her unread decks (unread except for the one which decided her not to do it again until she had studied ! - and it wasn't the deck's fault....) are a LOT more than that ! Just thought I'd mention it !
;)

HearthCricket

I think it is perfectly fine, and normal, to collect tarot decks, simply for the sake of collecting. A great deal of people on these boards do just that. And for those who do actual readings, whether for themselves or for others, seem to have a few decks they work with, and quite a collection they don't use, but enjoy looking at. The artwork and presentation, interpretations of the decks are so diverse it is mystifying. I love seeing how certain artists present various cards, what colours do they choose, what symoblism, style, what was their inspiration? I know people who collect expensive china figurines, and then put them in boxes in closets and forget they own them! Collecting is a healthy hobby, and a great way to educate onself and open up to new worlds. Have lots of fun with it! Also, if someone got ahold of a deck I was craving to read, and they just wanted it for collecting, I would not mind. That is life-it is fair game, as far as I am concerned. Maybe there is a reason that deck is trying to avoid me and be with you!

tarotbear

Who cares if you are a non-reader? Collect all the decks you want! Do what makes you happy! Are the images going to magickally disappear or something it you don't 'use' them to read for people? Of Course Not! LOL!!!!

I collect antique tea leaf reading cups and antique mustache cups. Although I may use a leaf reading cup eveyr now and then, I doubt I would ever 'use' the mustache cups - too delicate! Will that 'deprive' someone of owning them because I do and don't use them? That's what collecting is for! :smoker:

"He who dies with the most toys - dies anyway!"

Lady Maria

I only have a couple decks but I can see how easily I could turn into an avid collector. I'm sure the creators of decks love you people!!!

Love & Light, Maria

Lillie

I only have about a dozen decks, but for reading I really only use one.
The others are because I like them, 78 bits of art all in a box.
Some I just like to look at.
Some might be worth something one day.
Some because they were gifts to me from someone I love.
some because I'm interested in that particular rendition of the symbols. I mean, the priestess. Such an apparently simple concept, but how many wonderful ways to interpret and depict it? thousands, and not one the same!

So what?
My sister in law collects frogs (not live ones) She does'nt do any thing with them, what would she do with them?
At least a tarot deck could be used if the owner wanted too.
(Not that there is anything wrong with collecting frogs!)

There are thousands of decks out there, I doubt that my owning any deck deprives anyone else from owning one exactly the same. And even if I did own the only one of that kind in the world, there are a thousand more for someone else to choose from.
And someone would have to own it, why would one person be less worthy than aother?

I have clothes I don't wear, shoes I don't wear, books I'll never read again, things in the back of cupboards that are just gathering dust.
One day these things might get cleared out and found homes, until then they are mine, and I can use them or not as I wish.

Same with my tarot decks.
I like having them, so I will have them, any one who has a problem with that iprobably has a problem with themselves.
Does jealousy spring to mind?

Go for it Gregory, I have looked at the list of your collection and been amazed. More power to you.

HudsonGray

LOL I guess it's like collecting stamps. You don't have to USE them, they're there to be looked at. Why would anyone object?

Annabelle

Lee said:
When you buy a new deck, regardless of what you do with it, far from "depriving" someone of a deck, you're voting with your wallet or pocketbook. Each time someone buys a deck, that's one more vote to the publisher in favor of reprinting the deck. So, as I see it, buying a new deck is actually helping to create a greater supply of that deck, not a lesser one.

-- Lee
Beautifully stated, Lee!!! I had never thought about it before, but you are right! Hmmm....it makes me want to head straight to Amazon.com to buy a few new decks ;).

gregory

Annabelle4 said:
Beautifully stated, Lee!!! I had never thought about it before, but you are right! Hmmm....it makes me want to head straight to Amazon.com to buy a few new decks ;).
OOOOOH yes - you are all encouraging me something shocking ! (thanks) but I am going to Carol Herzer's and to Somerville......... poor old credit card....

Scorpion

gregory said:
...when I go through museums no-one seems to stop much to really take in anything – I know I seem to go really slowly in comparison with most visitors, and generally end up having seen one room for my ten bucks, and thinking damn, missed such a lot !……
You and me both, Gregory. Got a year to spare for the British Museum sometime?! If I start at one end and you at the other, we could meet in the middle at the end of the year and compare notes! I see Tutankhamen is coming to the Dome in 2007. Saw it in 72 but was very young at the time and don't remember much about it, apart from the fact that it was so busy and regimented that you could hardly stop to look at anything.

I started as a reader on the quest for the "perfect deck" and so my collection grew up. And despite a lot of them not being perfect, I haven't got the heart to part with them. One day, they may become that deck - if only for a while. I feel I want to use different decks for different readings. That said, I don't see any reason why people who want to collect decks and not read with them shouldn't. As others have observed, you bought them of your own free will. I really do not understand the angle that they might have been meant for someone else. If that were the case, that person would have them.

Have to say that I fully agree with Closrapexa, Gregory. The "magic ingredient" that will go into your cards should you decide to start reading them is - YOU!

Scorpion

tarotbear said:
I collect ... antique mustache cups. Although I may use a leaf reading cup eveyr now and then, I doubt I would ever 'use' the mustache cups - too delicate! Will that 'deprive' someone of owning them because I do and don't use them?
Tarotbear - I've got a girlfriend who collects them. Under the proposed rules, do you think she be'd disqualified cos she could never hope to use them properly?!