Do I really need a spread cloth?

lark

Tongodiva said:
Before this thread was written I had been thinking of opening one up with the same theme but a slightly different question. I had been thinking of maybe getting a solid color cloth but getting symbols embroidered into them. I was thinking of symbols of protection and enlightenment, but I don't know of too many. Anybody have suggestions as to where I can find those?
Tatot Totes just added Rune Symbols to their embroidery section.
They might do a spread cloth with protective Rune symbols for you.

Tongodiva

Gracias!

Lark thanks! I will definitely look into that. I want to try to do the embroidery on my own, but I'd love to see what they have in there :D

Thanks!
Tongo :)

Elven

Hey TB!! :)
The Piano scarf is beautiful!! I love the embroidery and the design!! Also a perfect size (for my readings anyway LOL!!!) I like the idea of a black and white cloth too - I have read off one black cloth - velvet - and the cards looks amazing!! Thanks for the pic!!!

13thFaeChylde said:
a brothel??
come on....there should be a story with that one...
Yep - there is , but its probably not as startling as it sounds LOL!!! Breifly though - for many years I worked as an Outreach Worker & Educator for Women who lived and worked in an area of Sydney which has a large 'red-light' district. My job was to make sure everyone had the necessary Health supplies they needed to work in this type of environment. I also carried with me my Tarot deck. Two nights a week for many years I would visit the many establishments and talk to people from a wealth of different backgrounds - some where located in brothels, strip clubs, Safe Houses - and some where on the street. Some had asked for readings and I had done them - so this sorta word spreads its self around. I have done many readings for people in this way.

Blessings
Elven x

gregory

lark said:
Now gregory if you're ever feeling a little minimalistic. and want to simplify your life a little, you can just send that plastic bag of pretty fabric to me. })
I will add you to the growing list of People in AT Who are Aiming to Get My Stuff when I am run over by a bus..... (the more absent minded I get, the better your chances.....)

............... who did you say you were ??? ................. :( :confused:

SunChariot

Here is what my place looks like. I just took these pictures and thought someone might be curious. I have a speadsheet on my tablecloth. I only read there, as if I ever read for others I do it by e-mail.

The first image is how things would look at I am about to start a reading, scented candle and all. The second is my Tarot table when not in use--I stop my decks there, as I only have 18 and they all still fit.:grin:

Bar

Attachments

• Tarot2.JPG
    Tarot2.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Tarot table.JPG
    Tarot table.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 178

Teheuti

I haven't heard anyone mention this -
I use a large square of velvet - usually dark blue or purple. I've found that cards tend to slide on silk, but they stay put quite well on the velvet. Additionally, I have short nails and so the extra loft helps me turn the cards over easily. Also, I love the feel of velvet and it's elegant rather than witchy (I like to be subtle).

I prefer a solid, dark color because it doesn't interfere with the card images - in fact it makes them pop out - especially if you've cut the borders off your cards.

I buy a piece where the length is just slightly longer than the width. Since the selvage is finished I only have to hem two ends (if at all) - which then makes it square. If you get a lighter weight washable velvet that's not too wide, then it packs up pretty small for travel and provides a good wrap for carrying breakable items.

I also find that my velvet square makes a great "instant altar". By using the aces to represent the four directions I basically have everything I need for that spur of the moment ritual.

I find that using a spreadcloth immediately defines a "sacred space" where something out-of-the-ordinary is going to happen.

Mary

Cerulean

Oh I forgot...you can add sewing notions/lace/tassels

and beads to the corners to any cloth to add a pretty touch and it doesn't take too long--just a simple whip stitch or two and knotting on the underside.

If you want something simple and small, decorative cotton handkerchiefs work well and fold up very easily.

http://www.jun-gifts.com/specialcollections/handkerchiefs/handkerchiefs1/handkerchiefs1.htm

Someone the other day commented on my kabuki silk-screened handkerchief. I just picked it up at an import store some years ago and used it as a nice thin carrying cloth. It is a match colorwise to my smaller Tarots of the Renaissance deck...so I believe these handkerchiefs are quite durable. Thin but pretty and washable...the one that people saw is the green-edged one on page three.

http://www.jun-gifts.com/specialcollections/handkerchiefs/handkerchiefs3/handkerchiefs3.htm

Regards,

Cerulean

tarotbear

I once had this grandiose idea ... stop snickering! ... that if I was ever to open a shop to read cards that rather than just the average 'garden variety' spread cloth on the prerequisite table that I would have a spread cloth with the 'placement' of the cards embroidered onto to it (or done in that liquid paint-in-a-bottle stuff popular a few years ago), one for each different spread I could use. They would be on velvet or robe velour and hang on rods around the shop as decoration - like banners! Then, if someone wanted to have a Celtic Cross reading I would take that banner down, spread it across the table, and use it, placing the cards chosen onto their respective square on the cloth. The squares would also be labeled in embroidery 'Past, Present, Future', etc.

Corney, I know. :smoker:

Tongodiva

can't help myself ;)

.... *s*....*sni*....*snicker snicker*....*runs and hides!*

Just Kidding TB :) I rather like the grandiose idea ;)

Harlequins R Us - T.

inanna_tarot

Made a spread cloth, keep it in my tarot bag - never used it lol.
I tend to read on tables, floors and out of the grass. My Druidcraft is a much loved deck that is slightly battered. I can see how others like using it, how it helps them get in the mood for reading etc, but I'm just too lazy or too excited and focused on giving a reading that I forget about the cloth half the time.
Whatever works for you is the main thing :)

Blessings,
Sezo
x