Trimmed Borders/Altered Decks Index

AJ

Awwww, thank you so much! That is very sweet of you to offer this! :heart:
But I wouldn't like to cause you all this trouble - shipping to Brazil can be expensive, even to send small things. :(

under 5 bucks US. I've sent them to a number of people. They are light and can go 1st class.

MareSaturni

under 5 bucks US. I've sent them to a number of people. They are light and can go 1st class.

I have PMed you. ;)

I am really thinking about trimming my English copy of the Mythic Tarot (my Portuguese one is a bit too worn and I am afraid the cardstock as good). My fear is that, since it's the old-Mythic... if anything goes wrong I'll be without the copy forever (*shakes fist at 'newest' version*).

Should I do do it? Or not?

What is your experience trimming this deck? :)

Zezina

The cards in the photos do look more dramatic after they've been trimmed, but I've never been able to get my head around the cutting of Tarot cards, especially of iconic decks like Thoth.

I know they're only cardboard and printer's ink, still it seems like desecration to me.

*Z*

MareSaturni

[...] but I've never been able to get my head around the cutting of Tarot cards, especially of iconic decks like Thoth.

I know they're only cardboard and printer's ink, still it seems like desecration to me.

To each his own, LOL!

Honestly I see no difference between cutting an iconic deck and an un-iconic one... *shrugs*
If tarot has any intrinsic 'sacred' factor that could be desecrated by trimming, that should be true to all decks, right? :p LOL!

emmsma

Perhaps if you think of it as a ritual personalization of the deck it wouldn't seem such a desecration. We put alot of ourselves into our cards through this process. :)

Just finished trimming Tarot of Pirates. Will be back soon with pics.

rwcarter

I am really thinking about trimming my English copy of the Mythic Tarot (my Portuguese one is a bit too worn and I am afraid the cardstock as good). (snip)
What is your experience trimming this deck? :)

I bought one already trimmed here at Aeclectic. If I have time today, I'll scan and post a few pics.

Rodney

cardlady22

. . . especially of iconic decks like Thoth.

*Z*
;) I don't think Crowley would flinch.

MareSaturni

I bought one already trimmed here at Aeclectic. If I have time today, I'll scan and post a few pics.

Rodney, that would be super helpful! :)
No hurry at ALL, but I'd be happy to see the pictures if you can post them!

I saw the pictures we have in this thread (the links in the "index" post) but I am still undecided...

I've seen untrimmed decks that were less even than your trimmed one. Just to put things into perspective. :)

;)

Cat, that is VERY sweet of you! LOL! Personally I love my Enchanted, but looking at other people's trimming job I feel like a 5-years old child handling scissors for the first time in my life. :p

shadowdancer

trimming cards as being desecration? - No
I see it more as a personalised bonding.

They are cut during manufacture in a very inpersonal way, so why should a person carefully trimming with scissors as they reflect on the image be desecration?

I can understand some not wanting to trim, and respect the reasons why. It really is a personal thing. I guess that is why my ideal deck should I ever be able to create it would be borderless to start with, and of a shuffable size :)