Why was King Tut's tomb not desecrated by tomb robbers?

Amg182

A documentary about King Tut is on Netflix. This question was asked by one of the archaeologists. So, I did a line of 5 using the exact same question. I got...

House Storks Key Sun Fish

Storks is the one that I think may be off in the interpretation.

The safety (Key) of his dwelling (House) was insured by the southward (Sun) move (Storks) of water (Fish).

Later in the program, a theory was presented that King Tut was buried in the spring & that torrential rains caused flooding in the area, causing his tomb to become hidden within 7 months of his death.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I am using Iris Treppner's book. Thank you.

DownUnderNZer

Interesting question...:thumbsup:

Seen King Tut at the museum in Cairo with a lot of his personal toys, relics, and beloved objects. His death mask is beautiful. Truly phenomenal to observe I must say!

Why was his tomb not desecrated?

Looks like the actual location of the tomb changed.

Maybe it was actually meant to be somewhere else or thought to be somewhere else.

Divine intervention of the Gods were strong I would say.

"Signs" would have played a key role in it remaining hidden too - like following a certain star during a full moon in the shortest month of the year only to end up at a dead end or the Dead Sea. (Or a map). Either the signs were wrong or none were given.

Possibly his tomb may have thought to be closer to water or a coastal area so it was not found due to that notion.

That is how I see it. :)

A documentary about King Tut is on Netflix. This question was asked by one of the archaeologists. So, I did a line of 5 using the exact same question. I got...

Storks is the one that I think may be off in the interpretation.

The safety (Key) of his dwelling (House) was insured by the southward (Sun) move (Storks) of water (Fish).

Later in the program, a theory was presented that King Tut was buried in the spring & that torrential rains caused flooding in the area, causing his tomb to become hidden within 7 months of his death.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I am using Iris Treppner's book. Thank you.

DownUnderNZer

Just did some reading...

The first layer of his tomb as in the entrance was robbed twice and resealed then covered by rubble over time and eventually he was forgotten, also, his tomb was overshadowed by bigger tombs like Ramses VI I think. The attention would have been focused on those bigger tombs rather than a tiny one.

Wasn't Ramses all about the sun?

Tut died unexpectedly so the tomb likely belonged to another Pharaoh or Queen first.

Maybe a few tombs may have been considered as there would have been no time to build one from scratch - so there could have been a change of tombs in that decision making.

DownUnderNZer

His tomb is near the Nile in location, but compared to the Valley of the Queens...further away.

He was effeminate.

His tomb is closer to the entrance than most of the other tombs though.

With the FISH it could be about the number 2 as well and he was hidden by two larger tombs.

Will think on that card more... :)

Amg182

Don't you love it when you type something out & then..poof, it's gone. This is the third time typing this.

Theories from the King Tut Documentary

King Tut was unexpectedly killed by a chariot. There was MASSIVE damage to his left torso. He was hastily & sloppily embalmed. He died in the spring & by fall of that year his tomb was covered by limestone sediment until found by Carter. He wasn't moved, he was found where he was originally entombed.

His tomb was desecrated shortly after he died. Small stuff, things that would have been generic in nature, easily disposed of. Larger, more valuable items would have had royal markings (his name), impossible to dispose of so near his time of death.

The flowers decorating his body bloom only in the spring, thus the theory that he died & was buried in spring. In fall of that year, there was a major flood. King Tut's tomb is located at the bottom of the valley. The theory is that the torrential rain water flooded the area, bringing limestone sediment. All evidence of his tomb was obliterated from view.

King Tut's royal advisor, and successor, Ay was in his 70s. The theory is that King Tut was hastily entombed in Ay's already finished tomb. The tomb in which Ay was entombed 4 years later, shows signs of modification. It's now thought that Ay is buried in the tomb originally meant for Tut.

A concerted effort was made to remove, Tut, his father & Ay, from the royal records.

Most major tomb robbing occurred about 200 years after Tut's death. 1. Tut's tomb was no longer visible. 2. He wasn't listed in this OFFICIAL list of Pharoahs, robbers wouldn't have known to hunt for his tomb.

Finally, I can hit submit!!!!

Amg182

The documentary was "Secrets of the Dead: Ultimate Tut". 2013, 1 hr 49 min.

DownUnderNZer

King Tut likely died from Malaria and an infection in his leg...club footed one.

DNA tests were done in 2010 and a virtual autopsy.

Amg182

This is what was in the documentary. Left half of his pelvis is missing, left side of rib cage has crushed & missing ribs. Heart was not embalmed.

DownUnderNZer

He was a very sickly child and had a fragile body (perhaps due to excessive inbreeding), so doesn't surprise me that his bones would be found like that at all.

In pictures he is painted hunting whilst being seated. The only one out of the Pharoahs shown this way. A good indication his bones were weak and that he couldn't really stand.

This is what was in the documentary. Left half of his pelvis is missing, left side of rib cage has crushed & missing ribs. Heart was not embalmed.

DownUnderNZer

Why was his tomb not desecrated?

Looks like the actual location of the tomb changed.
Maybe it was actually meant to be somewhere else or thought to be somewhere else.

So, according to your documentary his tomb was meant to be for Ay and other Historians believed it may have belonged to a previous Pharaoh (Royal member) with Tut's death being so unexpected.

He may have actually been thought to be buried elsewhere if that is the case.

I think if it was a tomb that was re-used (not Ay's) then it may have already been known therefore not of such interest. The robbers would have been looking for an "opportunity" rather than if the tomb belonged to so and so.

And even if it was Ay's...

Divine intervention of the Gods were strong I would say.

I still think the "Gods" or "divine intervention" kept this one little tomb safe with the KEY card being there. (Not my own personal belief).

"Signs" would have played a key role in it remaining hidden too - like following a certain star during a full moon in the shortest month of the year only to end up at a dead end or the Dead Sea. (Or a map).

Either the signs were wrong or none were given.

Ancient Egyptians were quite superstitious - seeing an Owl was seen as "evil", floods meant fertility (I think), the color "blue" kept the "evil eye" at bay etc and they had many many Gods etc.

Ra being the Sun god and God of all gods.

I think in regards to Tut's tomb and looking at it now - literally no signs were given and that is why it remained hidden.

However....

If say, a flock of birds was spotted near the tomb when raiding them during those times, an Egyptian would have been absolutely mortified and would have seen it is a bad omen or a pure place of evil.

Other "signs" may have been followed back then too.

So, although there is no real proof, there is still that possibility.

"Signs" tie in with the KEY card.

Later...ancient maps would have been used and maybe hieroglyphics, but with Archaeologists not tomb raiders.

Possibly his tomb may have thought to be closer to water or a coastal area so it was not found due to that notion.

His tomb is close to the Nile, but then so are other Pharaohs and Queens.

What is interesting, however, is both Ay and Tut are buried in the "non royal areas" of the valley.

Ay I understand, but not Tut.

All traces of both were meant to be wiped out in history for whatever reasons only a few things turned up with his name on on it including a clay pot or cup found near Ramses II's tomb, this kept the idea alive he was still buried there somewhere.

Still trying to work out the significance of the FISH although "2" still sits fine, but there must be more to it or it would not have turned up. :)