EDSG #3 - Ace Swords, Knight Swords, Justice

rwcarter

For this next set of cards, we have Ace Swords (AS), Knight Swords (KnS) and Justice (XI), all Air cards and all active cards. The triad is written as AAA, but to easily identify the cards, I'm going to list them as A2-A1-A3 where AS = A2, KnS = A1 and XI = A3.

The key point to remember when trying to interpret this triad is that friendly elements strengthen each other for good or ill.

Work/Career
A2-A1-A3 - Off and running (KnS) with the start of an idea (AS), determined to prove you're right (XI).
A1-A3-A2 - Being sent to HR (XI) for attacking a co-worker (KnS) over what you thought you heard (AS).
A3-A2-A1 - A rumor (AS) leaves you wanting to take quick action (KnS), but you know that you must be level-headed in this situation (XI).

Relationships
A2-A1-A3 - An argument (KnS) in which harsh words are said (AS) and false accusations (XI) made.
A1-A3-A2 - A third party (XI) intervenes in the heated argument between you (KnS0 and your SO (AS).
A3-A2-A1 - Winning (AS) the argument (KnS) by hitting below the belt (XI).

Finances
A2-A1-A3 - Being quick to spend your money (KnS) without thinking things through (AS) leaves your checking account unbalanced (XI).
A1-A3-A2 - It takes lots of reasoning (XI) and thought (AS) to counteract your tendency toward impulse purchases (KnS).
A3-A2-A1 - Successfully (AS) managing your money (XI) instead of spending it (KnS).

Home
A2-A1-A3 - The need for courage (KnS) In the face of adversity (AS) regarding your underwater mortgage (XI).
A1-A3-A2 - The police (XI) raided your house (KnS) because of a tip (AS) they received.
A3-A2-A1 - Successfully (AS) defending (XI) your house against an invasion of ants (KnS).

Card images to come tomorrow as it's getting late.

Attachments

• at edsg #3 a2a1a3.jpg
    at edsg #3 a2a1a3.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 695
  • AT edsg #3 a1a3a2.jpg
    AT edsg #3 a1a3a2.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 688
  • AT edsg #3 a3a2a1.jpg
    AT edsg #3 a3a2a1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 661

merissa_88

For this next set of cards, we have Ace Swords (AS), Knight Swords (KnS) and Justice (XI), all Air cards and all active cards. The triad is written as AAA, but to easily identify the cards, I'm going to list them as A2-A1-A3 where AS = A2, KnS = A1 and XI = A3.

The key point to remember when trying to interpret this triad is that friendly elements strengthen each other for good or ill.

Sometimes all one element is the most difficult to interpret for me.

Work/Career
A2-A1-A3 - Off and running (KnS) with the start of an idea (AS), determined to prove you're right (XI).

Were you taught to read the three active air element cards to indicate a situation that is moving quickly (no matter which cards are involved) or is it just an already impulsive Knight surrounded by cards of the same element that indicates this?

A3-A2-A1 - A rumor (AS) leaves you wanting to take quick action (KnS), but you know that you must be level-headed in this situation (XI).

With the idea of air or fire=fast, could these cards ever mean you hear something you want to rush into action about and this gets you to make a decision (Justice)?

I'm wondering if in a single element combination like this, does a more reflective card like Justice or the 4 of Swords always slow the momentum of the other cards? In other words, card meanings are always more important than the presence of active or passive elements in the 3 card group?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for the study group.

SA12

Great post! Just curious -- is there a separate section in the using forum for this study group or a PM notification list? I was looking for threads earlier but came up a bit empty. Thanks!

rwcarter

Great post! Just curious -- is there a separate section in the using forum for this study group or a PM notification list? I was looking for threads earlier but came up a bit empty. Thanks!

There is no notification list for the study group. All of the threads are indexed at Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread. Because I update the first post, changes don't cause that thread to get bumped. I can add the Index Thread to the Forum Favorites sticky Note at the top of the forum though.

rwcarter

Were you taught to read the three active air element cards to indicate a situation that is moving quickly (no matter which cards are involved) or is it just an already impulsive Knight surrounded by cards of the same element that indicates this?
As previously stated, I'm not giving the only (or best) interpretation of any of the triads, just giving an interpretation. In this particular triad, the impulsiveness of the Knight played a large part in the fast moving nature of my interpretation.

With the idea of air or fire=fast, could these cards ever mean you hear something you want to rush into action about and this gets you to make a decision (Justice)?
Definitely.

I'm wondering if in a single element combination like this, does a more reflective card like Justice or the 4 of Swords always slow the momentum of the other cards? In other words, card meanings are always more important than the presence of active or passive elements in the 3 card group?
Well, the interpretations of XI and 4S are more reflective. The basic rule is that like elements strengthen each other for good or ill. So the more reflective Air cards can slow the momentum of the more active cards. That could be strengthening for good (making you stop and think before you act) or strengthening for ill (stubbornly refusing to act, impeding progress).

merissa_88

As previously stated, I'm not giving the only (or best) interpretation of any of the triads, just giving an interpretation. In this particular triad, the impulsiveness of the Knight played a large part in the fast moving nature of my interpretation.

I like the interpretation - I was just trying to understand how you work with a triad of all one element. I was taught about EDs in a very non-traditional way so I'm glad to have the opportunity to go back and relearn this stuff. It sounds like in a single element triad, the element's ability to reinforce harmonies or conflicts between the cards is more important than its masculine or feminine qualities. However, you don't throw out the element's energetic qualities altogether during the interpretation. I was confused about that.

Well, the interpretations of XI and 4S are more reflective. The basic rule is that like elements strengthen each other for good or ill. So the more reflective Air cards can slow the momentum of the more active cards. That could be strengthening for good (making you stop and think before you act) or strengthening for ill (stubbornly refusing to act, impeding progress).

Thanks for your answer. I think I understand how you work with this situation now. This is helpful.

jenessa

Work/Career
In this example the cards have been interpreted to strengthen each other for good.

A1-A3-A2 - Being sent to HR (XI) for attacking a co-worker (KnS) over what you thought you heard (AS).
Whereas in this second example they've been read as strengthening one another for ill.

However, given that there is a fundamental difference between viewing the cards as well OR ill dignified, how do you determine whether the cards are strengthening each other for good OR ill? Is this simply a matter of your interpreting them intuitively?

Also it was my understanding that some people read according to dignity instead of using reversals, in the sense that they consider card placement (elemental interaction), in order to determine whether to read the positive or negative aspect of the cards. However, i'm not sure if this type of approach is correct, given that according to my research ED's are intended to show us which cards are strong or weak in a reading.

Whatever, if anyone reading this uses ED's to determine whether to read the positive or negative "aspect" of a card, can you explain how you determine this?

Also re: the concept of well or ill dignified cards, i believe the way this works is that friendly elemental interaction is viewed as being well dignified, whereas unfriendly elements are viewed as being ill dignified.

Furthermmore, i believe the theory of ed's is such that friendly elements strengthen for good OR ill, and unfriendly elements weaken each other for good OR ill. Tho i am unclear as to how you are supposed to determine whether the action or influence of the card is enhanced or diminished for good OR ill?

Or rather should i say, altho i understand that the elements can enhance or diminish one another, i don't know how you determine whether they are enhanced or diminished for good or ill?

rwcarter

However, given that there is a fundamental difference between viewing the cards as well OR ill dignified, how do you determine whether the cards are strengthening each other for good OR ill? Is this simply a matter of your interpreting them intuitively?
That there are rules doesn't mean I (or anyone else) have to follow them. ;) I posted this exercise long enough ago that I honestly can't say what drove any of the interpretations I posted except that I wanted to give examples of both strengthening for good and strengthening for ill. Why I interpreted a particular triad as good or ill, I couldn't tell you.

Also it was my understanding that some people read according to dignity instead of using reversals, in the sense that they consider card placement (elemental interaction), in order to determine whether to read the positive or negative aspect of the cards. However, i'm not sure if this type of approach is correct, given that according to my research ED's are intended to show us which cards are strong or weak in a reading.
When one only uses upright images, "weak" could be seen as being the same as "reversed interpretation".

Whatever, if anyone reading this uses ED's to determine whether to read the positive or negative "aspect" of a card, can you explain how you determine this?
It could be any number of factors, individually or combined: question, imagery, direction characters are facing, intuitive flash, flow of the cards, my mood when I'm doing the reading, etc.

Furthermmore, i believe the theory of ed's is such that friendly elements strengthen for good OR ill, and unfriendly elements weaken each other for good OR ill. Tho i am unclear as to how you are supposed to determine whether the action or influence of the card is enhanced or diminished for good OR ill?

Or rather should i say, altho i understand that the elements can enhance or diminish one another, i don't know how you determine whether they are enhanced or diminished for good or ill?
See the answer above. How do you determine whether a Court card represents a person involved in the situation or a quality? There is no hard and fast rule. And to some extent, strengthening for ill could be seen as weakening while weakening for good could be seen as strengthening.

Ziev

Alrighty then. It took a bit longer than I anticipated but I'm back! Here are my exercises for the first round.

AS / KnS / XI
A2 /A1 / A3

Work / Career

Since going off the deep end (KnS) you try to achieve success (AS) by finding balance (XI).

Relationships

You make an impulsive action (KnS) and make a clean break (AS) in all fairness (XI) to yourself. [Not sure about the last card interpretation]

Finance

Because of your knowledge (KnS) you have created great success (AS) with your choices (XI).

Home

Seeing that you gave a clear and logical argument (KnS) your parents will let you start over with a clean slate (AS) from your differential treatment (XI) of them. [Not liking this one so much]

This felt a bit easier than the others. I wonder if it’s because they were all the same element or I'm getting more comfortable with this. :D Maybe a bit of both.

rwcarter

I saw this but didn't have time to reply and it fell off my radar.

Work / Career

Since going off the deep end (KnS) you try to achieve success (AS) by finding balance (XI).
How about, "Since going off the deep end (KnS), you find that staying balanced (XI) brings you success (AS)"?

Relationships

You make an impulsive action (KnS) and make a clean break (AS) in all fairness (XI) to yourself. [Not sure about the last card interpretation]
How about, "You impulsively (KnS) break off your relationship (AS) to restore balance to your life (XI)"?

Home

Seeing that you gave a clear and logical argument (KnS) your parents will let you start over with a clean slate (AS) from your differential treatment (XI) of them. [Not liking this one so much]
First off, I think you mean deferential, as in showing deference to one's parents. I scratched my head for awhile trying to figure out what differential treatment is. How about, "You persuaded (KnS) your parents to let you start over again with a clean slate (AS) by bowing to their authority (XI)?

Rodney