Tarot Mucha - Sinister Lovers

violetdaisy

Anyone else have this deck and think the angel above the two lovers looks like "muahahaha now I've got you under my spell"? I bought it and it's my least favorite card, so much so I haven't done any readings with it.

Alta

I'll be getting my hands on this deck tomorrow so I'll have a look and comment. Funny idea though! :)

Sulis

I love Mucha's artwork and didn't know that this deck existed until a couple of weeks ago when someone did a reading with it in Your Readings...
It looks as if many of his original paintings have been adapted for the Major Arcana so what picture is used for The Lovers card? I'm really curious now..

Le Fanu

I think the point is that -yes- it is something spellbinding and intoxicating. Not the benign, bountiful RWS angel but something more perverse.

My least favourite card is The Sun. that weirdly impish face that doesn't look at all like it came out of a Mucha painting.

But overall - forgetting minor details here and there - I love this deck more and more and keep coming back to it. I honestly think that with this deck, LoS hit the nail on the head- a substantial tarot package that ticks all the right boxes. Easy to read and beautiful to look at. An "art deck" as they are so often perjoratively called - that you want to take down from the shelf, shuffle and use.

violetdaisy

The Sun card is pretty odd too. But for me, not to the point where it seems to alter my perception too much of what the card should mean. I really do like the deck overall, it's beautiful and accessible for the most part but I seriously just don't want the Lovers to come up in a reading with it. *sighs*

rwcarter

I don't find the angel in the Lovers to be either sinister or perverse. To me he looks determined to make them fall in love.

The Sun's face is a little weird, but not disconcerting. I don't know enough about Mucha to know whether that face would've come from him or someone at LoS who was helping the original art fit the card.

Rodney