Llewellyn's new card stock

gregory

I have the Modern Spellcaster's tarot. Nice art, nice concept but the cards are just one step away from paper.
Wow. Mine is almost thick enough for coasters ! Maybe they heard you and now I get.... It's like Schiffer's worst stock.

I think Llewellyn is the only tarot publisher which has progressively got worse and worse in every aspect. It's like they haven't learnt anything in the last 10 years. It's like one shoddiness after another. There was the bag, the boxes, the cardstock, the teenage witchiness of the themes - crikey - what else will they find to make a mess of?

No other tarot publisher has consistently not heard what everyone else is saying about them.
Be fair. They got rid of the organza bags that fell apart when you put a card in them, and the boxes are HUGELY improved.

Themes - they know what sells for them. Any publisher will roll with that. But card stock from good to dire - that really isn't OK.

Le Fanu

Yes ok ok... Now you've mentioned it - the Spellcasters Tarot has one of the magnetic boxes which everyone loves.

But your cards are thick? How so? Mine really are papery...

gregory

OOOH ! Linestrider has one of the old style boxes BUT with their excellent addition of a really solid inside. You still have to find something to keep the cards in, sadly, as they slop around inside once you take the shrink off. But the card stock is almost Gorgons-like.

I don't have the Spellcasters yet, but yes to magnetic boxes - LOVELY.

ETA the review on here says the card is whippy, and won't stand up to violence, but not that it's like paper...

Le Fanu

Whippy has been (over)used in case when I'd say flimsy. "Whippy" was first used for MRP decks, but I've seen far less substantial cards described as "whippy.

I did say one step away from paper -not exactly paper... maybe papery cardboard would be better. Oh the ways we find to...

It's like wine tasting.

Mariqueen

This is super delayed, but I just got a new copy of green witch and it came with the new cardstock so I took a picture comparing the two cardstocks from both green witch decks where you can clearly see the new stock is much thicker

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 270

DaughterOfDanu

This is super delayed, but I just got a new copy of green witch and it came with the new cardstock so I took a picture comparing the two cardstocks from both green witch decks where you can clearly see the new stock is much thicker

Wow that's great that they upped the thickness of the cardstock. I have the thinner cardstock with this deck and since I love and use it a lot, I'll eventually have to replace it. Fingers crossed I'll get the thicker cardstock version that will last longer.

FleurMai

Does anyone actually have a fix for chipping cards? I have a Linestrider I ordered not too many weeks ago and I don't even riffle shuffle and yet it chips like crazy >.< I'd prefer not to use a black sharpie, but I'm wondering if matte clear nailpolish on the corner edges might be a fix?

Essjay

Last year I bought Animal Totem and the Linestrider. I have no problem with the Animal Totem (adore the deck and the cardstock is fine) but the Linestrider has bowed and feels like cheap card.

Has anyone bought a Linestrider recently and if so has the card improved? I love the Linestrider but the cardstock means I can hardly use it.

Dogs&Coffee

Last year I bought Animal Totem and the Linestrider. I have no problem with the Animal Totem (adore the deck and the cardstock is fine) but the Linestrider has bowed and feels like cheap card.

Has anyone bought a Linestrider recently and if so has the card improved? I love the Linestrider but the cardstock means I can hardly use it.

I bought a linestrider a couple of weeks ago, and the cardstock is awful. I've never experienced anything so bad.

Lunaea

Hey guys, I got a copy of my Mystical Cats Tarot in the fabulous new box -- so sturdy! a magnetic closure! a niche for the cards! with a RIBBON! Woo-hoo! The cards, though, are exactly the same. My hunch is that if they are rolling out new cardstock, it's being done first for new decks, and older decks will get the new stock when their existing copies are gone. But the boxes are happening now, which is great news.