The Gryphon Tarot

merihsaan

The Gryphon Tarot (Updated 7/6/10)

After looking all over the place for a gryphon themed deck and not finding one, I decided to start working on my own version.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

You can view some of the finished cards here: http://www.nightwinggalleries.com/gryphontarot.html

I'll hopefully be posting links to the WIPs of upcoming cards, and feel free to pick them apart both for technical aspects and accuracy.

liminal_k

You have some beautiful artwork. I especially enjoy The Star (for its almost washed out beauty) and The World. Are you going to be putting names on the cards as well? I look forward to seeing how you approach the minor arcana.

LotusSong

There is no way those are watercolors. The colors are so vivid! So bold! Look at the red on The Emperor and the blue on The World! I am thoroughly impressed, and shall be watching this thread with great interest. <3

SkadisPhoenix

I agree, this deck is amazing! :D

AJ

Welcome to AT! those are very powerful images, thank you for sharing them.

BodhiSeed

Great artwork! I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into each card. What are you working with? Acrylics or oils?
Good luck as you continue to work your way through the 78 cards; I look forward to seeing more of your lovely work!

Mabon-Tail

Hey, I remember seeing these cards on deviantART. :D I even remember faving a few! Very nice work.

Sidhe-Ra

Wow! Brilliant stuff :)

xx

merihsaan

bodhran said:
Great artwork! I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into each card. What are you working with? Acrylics or oils?
Good luck as you continue to work your way through the 78 cards; I look forward to seeing more of your lovely work!

These are actually watercolors and gouache on illustration board, and are about 7x10" for each painting. I tried to do as much research as I could before starting each one, the image had to pop into my head before it would allow itself to be put down on paper. The Magician fought with me, I think I redrew him about 3 times before I settled on the final image. And it's been reinforcing the card meanings in my mind, I've found that my readings with my Dragon tarot have gotten loads better since I started this project.

MrAndrewJ

Wow. I really, really like that artwork. The World is probably my favorite, but Magician, Star, and High Priestess stand as well. All of them are well done.

Real quickly, "Judgment" without the middle "e". It doesn't look like you're painting the names onto the art anywhere, but wanted to say something just in case. Please don't take that as a nit-pick or anything negative. It's one of my own trouble words and I genuinely think the art is amazing.