Some people just asking for troubles..

Disa

Well I wanted to say when I first started reading your post, I was happy you pointed out you are a tarot card reader and not a psychic. I was intrigued to know how the story progressed, because as many times as I say that, people still tell their friends and refer to me as a psychic. I never refer to myself in this way, though I do occasionally get "psychic flashes".

Anyway, I was so disappointed to read his reaction to you. You flat out told him in clear words that really leave no room for misunderstanding. His question was then ridiculous. I'm sorry this happened to you. I agree with the sentiment "consider the source". The whole thing must have felt at least a little "invalidating" for lack of a better word when I haven't had even a half of a cup of coffee and it's 5 am. To flat out tell him something and then he go immediately in the opposite direction would also leave me with W-T-F??? in my brain. Ugh.

Barleywine

His intention was obviously to be demeaning and dismissive right from the start. I think I would have simply smiled enigmatically, shook my head and told him "I'm sorry, this isn't a parlor game" and not said anything else, just sent him on his way. The way I work, though, doesn't lend itself to such frivolous nonsense: I tell my sitters that I don't want to know their question in advance, just to concentrate and shuffle, and the cards will tap into their subconscious awareness of the situation, which I will then do my best to interpret. Although it has never come to this, I could always say "Looks like you didn't answer your own question, maybe you aren't being honest with yourself about this."

Carojulie

As far as I can see he was just being a bully looking for trouble.
In the end, he is the poor guy in this situation, if he doesnot have brain enough to understand what you explained clearly, and if he gets his thrills at low costs by insulting someone who has just been gracious to him.
He probably wanted to prove that tarot is bul....it, but he only managed to make a fool of himself and show his petty mind and rude mouth.
I am really sorry you had to go through this, it is agression, and agression always hurt. I dont understand why so many people get their high from hurting others.

Beancrew49

I dont mean to derail this discussion, but unless you're reading their meanings directly from the book, then you are psychic. I think many of you are allowing the stigma attached to the word to allow confusion of its meaning. A psychic is someone who recognizes their intuition and listens to it, which pretty much describes all of you.

Trogon

Congratulations Tobe! You got to meet an Internet Troll in real life. Most trolls don't come out into the real world ... the prefer the anonymity of the Internet ... it's quite rare to have a sighting in the wild like this. Okay, I'm being a little facetious, but essentially that's what he was doing ... he was baiting you and hoping to start an argument. That's what trolls do. Dismiss him from your mind, he is not really worth the expenditure of energy. (For that matter, he's not really worth a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys.)

But I know it still gets to us when those things happen, it sticks in your throat that he just attacks you when he knows nothing about you or what you're doing. I suspect the proliferation of psychics on TV is a large part of what prompted this. They see the shows, jump on the Internet and find some discussion about them being "frauds", automatically assumes that you're doing the same thing and therefore must also be a fraud.

In any case, you handled yourself extremely well.

magicjack

" Do I have any relatives that have names that start with L"? Yes! Yours and your name is LOOSER. Now get out of my face before I smack the hell out of you. I like the scene in Mommie Dearest where Faye Dunnaway stands up to the directors of PepsiCo and says" Don't F*** with me fellas"! Sorry, I get violent sometimes. šŸ˜ˆ

Tobe

Congratulations Tobe! You got to meet an Internet Troll in real life. Most trolls don't come out into the real world ... the prefer the anonymity of the Internet ... it's quite rare to have a sighting in the wild like this. Okay, I'm being a little facetious, but essentially that's what he was doing ... he was baiting you and hoping to start an argument. That's what trolls do. Dismiss him from your mind, he is not really worth the expenditure of energy. (For that matter, he's not really worth a pair of fetid dingo's kidneys.)

But I know it still gets to us when those things happen, it sticks in your throat that he just attacks you when he knows nothing about you or what you're doing. I suspect the proliferation of psychics on TV is a large part of what prompted this. They see the shows, jump on the Internet and find some discussion about them being "frauds", automatically assumes that you're doing the same thing and therefore must also be a fraud.

In any case, you handled yourself extremely well.

AHAHAHAHAH, OMG!! I totally forgot about the word troll!! you're absolutely right LMAO!!

prudence

Barleywine, I really like "I'm sorry, this isn't a parlor game" as my go to comment from now on.

Hemera

I dont mean to derail this discussion, but unless you're reading their meanings directly from the book, then you are psychic. I think many of you are allowing the stigma attached to the word to allow confusion of its meaning. A psychic is someone who recognizes their intuition and listens to it, which pretty much describes all of you.
Yes I agree.

DJP

Hey, you've got my sympathies. It can be a real pain to deal with a badgering debunker/pseudo-skeptic. I usually only think of a decent comeback about two hours later!

Anyway, it's worth keeping in mind that these debunker types are just ideologues pushing their own boring fundamentalist metaphysics. They're not interested in evidence and definitely aren't as clever as they like to think.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

But it does sounds like you handled the situation pretty well, IMO.

Peace.