Hanson Roberts - Three of Swords

Red Kite

A huge red heart dominates the card, pierced by three swords. A matched pair of swords with black blades and turquoise serpents on the handles, cross each other through the heart. A silver blade, a large green serpent with piercing yellow eyes on its handle plunges straight down in front of the other swords. The background is stormy clouds with 6 rain drops, 2 tinged red, falling beneath the scene.

Following Joan Bunning's advice on her on line course, I looked for a news story to do a reading on. I picked a missing girl. This was the first such reading I had ever done. I did a 3 card reading (past, present, future) on 2 consecutive days. This card was the past card on the first reading, and the present on the second reading. The girl was found murdered the following day. Now every time I see this card it sends shivers down my spine.

Indigo Rose

Universal Heart....

Looking upon this card, I see the heart of all humankind. Who among us has not felt the piercing swords of sorrow, as they plunge through the depths of our hearts? This heart hangs alone suspended in space, surrounded by the storms of life; swords coming at it from different directions. The Serpents seem to be in control of these swords as we see them facing us, almost smiling at what they have done.

On a personal level, I have found comfort in this card at times. You see though this heart is alone in the picture; WE ARE NOT! In fact when I have felt the deep stings of pain that come with sorrow and loss, I have found a comfort in picturing this universal heart and remembering that I am not alone here; my fellow humans have all felt these same pains. Just as storms pass in the heavens, so too with the heart.

Blessings,
Indigo Rose :)

tarotlova

I find it interesting that 2 of the swords are some what tarnished and the 3rd is shiny with a green snake while the other 2 snakes are blue, so to me it emphasizes that despite any pain that you are feeling it will bring about a fresh start, the green snake emphasizing a change for the better the color green always means to me a fresh start. I think the yellow eye's really stand out too compared to the other 2, prehaps saying that you already know what's going on and what is needed trust your intuition. This card can also stand for a love triangle too.

Lurea

Red Kite said:
I did a 3 card reading (past, present, future) on 2 consecutive days. This card was the past card on the first reading, and the present on the second reading. The girl was found murdered the following day. Now every time I see this card it sends shivers down my spine.

That's a chilling story, Red Kite! I have thought about doing readings based on news stories, but haven't quite gotten up the nerve yet.

To me, this card is all about a rather difficult relationship I was in years ago. This card came up consistently, and it was a love triangle, just as tarotlova said. Oh... And it proved to be 100% accurate, too. :(

Now, I have heard others say that this card can mean 'separation' as in your loved one is going on a trip or something (but will be back, which is not so bad). But for me, this card has always meant grief or heartbreak.

Red Kite

Lurea_aure said:
That's a chilling story, Red Kite! I have thought about doing readings based on news stories, but haven't quite gotten up the nerve yet.

QUOTE]

I thought that choosing news stories would give me an ideal platform to practice on. However, they are potentially difficult to read. You can't be sure whether you are getting fact or fiction. For instance, in the story that I chose, some of the facts may have been changed or withheld to aid the investigation. Perhaps you have to prepare the question with greater care!

With hindsight and this forum, there were several factors in the story that warranted the three of swords being there. The victim was an identical twin (I hadn't noticed, until I decribed the card here, that two of the swords were identical, and one was not).

rachelcat

Those snakes really do look mean, but snakes also symbolize wisdom. Here, maybe wisdom gained from suffering. Such as the wisdom Indigo Rose has given us in this thread.

Raindrops for tears and clouds for sighs.

Is this the complaint department? I have to register my opposition to all 3 of Swords cards as Sorrow! Using a commonly-accepted numerology/suit combination, it should be:

The form (3) of thoughts (swords) = Communication or teaching and learning!

(I learned this from my SECOND deck, Motherpeace!) Just say no to pierced hearts!

Iona

Three of Swords

rachelcat said:
Those snakes really do look mean, but snakes also symbolize wisdom. Here, maybe wisdom gained from suffering. Such as the wisdom Indigo Rose has given us in this thread.

I see it this way specially in RWS deck because of the lines of action drawn which seem to indicate that the heart is ascending (through the lessons learnt). In the three of swords from H-R, I see the heart suspended in time just at the moment of pain (--> heavy sky with black clouds and rain/teardrops are starting to fall.) For me it's showing right the moment we feel the pain ( the moment will come when/if we decide we want to remove the swords and move forward).

canid

Just a little thought to share - the raindrops remind me of bombs being dropped onto the heart, pretty much on target for the entire image; ie they're not missing. Since this card Rx can refer to war, that visual reminds me. Of course, it can refer to war upright also, if ill-dignified. But Rx'd it's sometimes more global rather than personal for me.

Freddie

I also associate this card with trouble and heartbreak....sometimes as with the green snake being in front I feel that a troublemaker has destroyed (or is trying/tried) the relationship of of others. I think the tears of rain from above may symbolize just how deep the hurt really goes.

Good info on this card thanx all,

freddie

FallynRaiyn

to me it says grief, but always having to do with emotions.
i would say it could mean loss of life, but represent the attachments loss of life would mean breaking and hurting, not necessarily the loss of life itself.

the keywords or phrases i associate with this card are

sorrow
grief
extreme embarrassment
heart break
hurt feelings
the aftermath of absolute torture when a loved one dies
bullying
depression

basically anything that hurts the heart.