Medieval Scapini Deck and Book Set or Kabbalistic Visions Tarot

EmpyreanKnight

I'm seriously going to buy at least one of these two, but the question is which? Scapini has really grown on me, but I can't justify buying both of his decks. Also, while I've read more than a few reviews on the Medieval Scapini, insights on the Kabbalistic Visions are a bit scarce.

The cream-and-gold tones framing the intense colors of the Medieval Scapini are a wonder to behold, but the bold, brash, and fresh take of the Kabbalistic Visions Tarot just stops me in my tracks. One looks rich and regal, the other is a downright dashing rebel. How would you rate them physically (cardstock, printing, texture, etc)? How well do they read for you? How good are their companion books? Given the choice, which would you prefer?

Brammetje

I have both. The printing and card stock quality of the medieval scapini (1572814780) is supurb in my opinion. Made for eternity. They are even so sturdy you have to almost violate them for them to become flexible. I really love the quality of these cards. I think the best quality cards I own. They are heavely laminated. You cant go wrong with this deck and bookset.

Qabbalistic visions is awesome and really interesting but be prepared to invest a lot of time learning the system of qabalah. Its not readable for me yet allthough I am familiar with the qabalah. It has a great book explaining the cards and the qabalah though.

Qabbalistic visions is very authentic and original and has a rebel / crazy feeling to them. I am not ready to read with them yet but looking forward to the day that I will.

These cards are less laminated and sturdy. But the printing and card quality is OK really compared to other decks. The side of the deck is in silver which gives them an extra touch. If you love scapini. I would get both (i did haha). They are both special and worth it in my opinion. Kabbalistic visions because there does not seem to be anything simular like it out there.

To stay of the safe side:
Id advice you to go for medieval scapini. You probably will not regret your choice.

BUT
I am not sure how long kabbalistic visions remains available (no idea). Its not very popular and I can see why. This deck is really different from other decks...even from most kabbalah/qabalah themed decks out there.

I almost feel as if it takes some kind of expert to read them. And its not me. It is too advanced for me. But that only increases its value I think.

gregory

Medieval Scapini - no contest. It's SPECIAL. The Kabbalistic Visions is interesting but as Brammetje says, needs a huge amount of work - and even then one may never "get" it. I know I haven't, yet.

FLizarraga

A difficult question, because they are apples and oranges --except for having the same artist.

The Medieval is basically a deck that plays with early Renaissance artistic motifs (not so medieval IMHO) and seems to be inspired mostly on the Visconti Sforza, whose missing cards Scapini has recreated more than once. As far as I know, it is mostly Scapini's own creation.

The Kabbalistic Visions is one of those esoteric decks, and, again AFAIK, it is a collaboration with someone else that (I suppose) is versed in Kabbalah and such.

I guess it depends on which one of those things is more your cup of tea. I have a hunch, though... ;)

EmpyreanKnight

I have both. The printing and card stock quality of the medieval scapini (1572814780) is supurb in my opinion. Made for eternity. They are even so sturdy you have to almost violate them for them to become flexible. I really love the quality of these cards. I think the best quality cards I own. They are heavely laminated. You cant go wrong with this deck and bookset.

Qabbalistic visions is awesome and really interesting but be prepared to invest a lot of time learning the system of qabalah. Its not readable for me yet allthough I am familiar with the qabalah. It has a great book explaining the cards and the qabalah though.

Qabbalistic visions is very authentic and original and has a rebel / crazy feeling to them. I am not ready to read with them yet but looking forward to the day that I will.

These cards are less laminated and sturdy. But the printing and card quality is OK really compared to other decks. The side of the deck is in silver which gives them an extra touch. If you love scapini. I would get both (i did haha). They are both special and worth it in my opinion. Kabbalistic visions because there does not seem to be anything simular like it out there.

To stay of the safe side:
Id advice you to go for medieval scapini. You probably will not regret your choice.

BUT
I am not sure how long kabbalistic visions remains available (no idea). Its not very popular and I can see why. This deck is really different from other decks...even from most kabbalah/qabalah themed decks out there.

I almost feel as if it takes some kind of expert to read them. And its not me. It is too advanced for me. But that only increases its value I think.

Thanks for the very informative post, Brammetje. It's good to know that they are both physically resilient and have good production value. And you have made a very good point: while the Medieval Scapini is a very safe choice, and one which I won't be regretting, the Kabbalistic Visions is like a comet in that it is a rare and beautiful thing which might go extinct if I do not grab it soon.

Medieval Scapini - no contest. It's SPECIAL. The Kabbalistic Visions is interesting but as Brammetje says, needs a huge amount of work - and even then one may never "get" it. I know I haven't, yet.

And yet this is an important point, and gregory only strengthened Brammetje's observation that it requires tremendous effort if I truly wish to use its system. If it's a matter of just trying to master it, I relish challenges so it's not really an issue. But the thing is, while I don't mind the effort, I may not have much time for my personal projects in the near future. December until this month has been idyllic for me since my workload has been rather minimal, and that allowed to focus on my interests. Come March it will be the same old rat race again, and I won't have too much time for in depth studies. I have too many decks in my collection that are "One day I will study thee", and I do not wish to add to them willy-nilly.

EmpyreanKnight

A difficult question, because they are apples and oranges --except for having the same artist.

The Medieval is basically a deck that plays with early Renaissance artistic motifs (not so medieval IMHO) and seems to be inspired mostly on the Visconti Sforza, whose missing cards Scapini has recreated more than once. As far as I know, it is mostly Scapini's own creation.

The Kabbalistic Visions is one of those esoteric decks, and, again AFAIK, it is a collaboration with someone else that (I suppose) is versed in Kabbalah and such.

I guess it depends on which one of those things is more your cup of tea. I have a hunch, though... ;)

Lol I think you are very perceptive, FLizarraga. If it's a matter of just choosing which appeals to me more right off the bat: the Kabbalistic Visions is quite a magnificent beast, one that I'd enjoy riding. But as in life, you just don't take the things you want. There are things that might be used against it:

1. As I have mentioned in my reply above, it will require a lot of time and effort to even reach a competent level in working with it using its very own system. I don't know if I can fully invest both.

2. I also want to check the veracity of its Kabbalistic principles, and since I've barely begun with my Kabbalah studies I hied off to the Kabbalah and Alphabets section to ask the learned denizens there what they think about its scholarly merits (if they possess the deck). We do not want to spend so much effort on something only to find out that its foundations are arbitrary at best although to be fair, I've read that the author Marini is a luminary in that esoteric field.

3. I have recently seen high-def video reviews of the Medieval Scapini and my word, it really is a beauty. Does its back really have metallic ink, because it looks like it. And the coolly vibrant colors are a sight to behold. I have yet to read a review that lambasts its aesthetic allure.

4. And finally, this year is my year of Temperance. I've indulged myself last year (though definitely not in Tarot or even in food - oh how I wish), and I must cut my predilection for excess. It's just how it is. For example, I definitely need new shelves from the additional books I've bought which given my career I'd never finish off in a decade, and I am this close to colonizing the room adjacent to mine. I shall only add things if I know I'll use them.

But FLiz, you're absolutely right in saying that they are apples and oranges. I can just open my wallet and just buy both things and be done with it, but that would just run counter to everything, won't it? It's a bit of an ego thing I guess. Now I'm confused.

FLizarraga

Confused? If anything, it seems that things are becoming clearer by the minute... :p

There is an earlier printing (I wouldn't call it an edition per se, as it wasn't a separate one) that has subtle golden highlights. They are VERY subtle, though, and IMHO do not make a substantial difference one way or the other.

Herodotus

I only have the Medieval Scapini, but I think it's a fantastic deck, with lots of humorous details, and the accompanying book is also really great. In fact, without the book, most of the symbolism in the deck would have been lost on me. There are a lot of references to other traditions worked into the artwork in these cards.

gregory

Confused? If anything, it seems that things are becoming clearer by the minute... :p

There is an earlier printing (I wouldn't call it an edition per se, as it wasn't a separate one) that has subtle golden highlights. They are VERY subtle, though, and IMHO do not make a substantial difference one way or the other.
BUT - later printings aren't as sharp. Sad but true. There is one printing where I had to sit down with a friend and explain what was on some of the cards - especially 7 cups - as you honestly couldn't tell. Mind you - I have early and late printings (I got a second to get the book) and that's the only one I ever saw that was THAT bad.

Brammetje

BUT - later printings aren't as sharp. Sad but true. There is one printing where I had to sit down with a friend and explain what was on some of the cards - especially 7 cups - as you honestly couldn't tell. Mind you - I have early and late printings (I got a second to get the book) and that's the only one I ever saw that was THAT bad.

Do their isbn numbers differ? And which print is the best? Those with the subtle golden hightlights?