Victorian Romantic - Queen of Pentacles

Skydancer

I totally love the houses behind her! I have a 'thing' about houses. The angles, the peaks of the roofs, windows; you name it. Always have. Spent time in the Deep South as a child so I think I was influenced by the large mansions there.

But anyway - my concern is this; I don't understand her hand. Is it gloved? Are those her boney fingers? It seems like a ghost hand - it's a different hue, or tone, than the skin of her shoulders.

I read in the book but nothing is mentioned about it. The line of her arm doesn't flow into the hand. It really looks, to me, like it belongs in the BGT. :bugeyed:

Anyone talked about this? If so, I haven't found the threads.
I'm a Johnny-come-lately to this deck. Point me in the right direction, please.

*S*
who totally loved this deck - until I looked at this card because of references to it here at AT. I have only done a couple of readings with the deck, and this card hadn't come up yet.

... The hand is actually 'bothering' me. *sigh*

Grizabella

In Victorian times, women wore gloves when going out in the evenings, and sometimes wore jewels----rings and bracelets---on top of them. I think that's the case here, or else she's got a string of jewels entwined in her fingers. It looks to me as though she's got on some grey silk or satin gloves.

Reverie

Queen of Pentacles

The glove on her hand never bothered me and it certainly does seem to be a silver satin glove with golden detailing or jewelry. Now that you mention it however, I would be curious to see what kind of hands she has.

I adore this queen, by the way. She seems to represent all the ideal qualities in a woman, for me: sensual, nurturing, natural, beautiful... I love the golden bow in her hair! Her hair is wild and untamed and it makes her even more lovely.

I wonder what qualities are lacking in her. Perhaps a bit of naiveté and fragility. She appears to be well balanced and pleased with her present situation. Maybe she lacks in life experience if she's never been away from home, or she is simply not concerned with what is beyond.

The houses are lovely. I long for her lifestyle!

Skydancer

Interesting to read your posts. Thanks!

I came back here to say that I've had an idea. But first - I thought of a glove also. And I have seen women wear rings over them - odd, but fashions change with the times. So --

Another idea I had is that ... why the very big shield? So - I'm thinking of an interpretation that goes like this; it is a ghost hand, holding the shield like that. Layers of meaning. It's a symbol, and not really "there."

I like the lady also! So I've decided that I'm not bothered so much any more!!

I've been reading the book and all I can say is "Wow!!" Karen has really presented a grand work, not only of the cards but all the information about the painters and customs of the time. Wonderful. :)

Any more thoughts on this Queen??

*S*

Sulis

I think she's wearing evening gloves with jewellery.
Evening gloves go really well with her sumptuous evening gown and I think they show that she really is the Pentacle Queen and has a love of the finer things in life.
She's not just homely, she likes gorgeous, pretty things like bangles and baubles too.

I've added an image of her :)

Attachments

• Queen of Pentacles.jpg
    Queen of Pentacles.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 122

Water Lady

I vote for gloves too. I think the disc is standing for Pentacles as I found no other symbolic mention in the book.
I too love the VR, lovely pictures.

Skydancer

Okay, then; gloves it is!!!

(Where is Ms. Karen when we need her ...) :rolleyes:

*S*

Skydancer

Thank you for the reference, lark. I haven't near read all the posts in that thread!! :D

*S*

Lil Red

I got the QoP and I am not happy with it. The reason for this is that the hair throws me off. It looks like she is wearing a wig and I do not feel that her hair fits in the picture. It feels gaudy to me other than that I like the image.

This card shows a kind of dress to success type of outlook. Her background may not be of a wealthy family, but it does not mean that she is not a proper lady. Her elegant dress shows that even she can impress any certain type of people and it may be that she is a middle class, especially with her jewelry.

The golden shield does seems like a type of protection. It may be that she uses money to protect herself or wears her expensive clothes to impress others.

What captures me are her expression. She may have a sophisticated look, but it is her eyes that captures me. It shows kindness, caring, and someone that you can trust. She definitely seems like a sweet lady who I will like to meet.

She seems comfortable in her own skin.

Now the background I find it breath taking. I would definitely like to live in a house like that. It makes me think of Italy for some reason. :joke: