Jouent Aux Cartes...(Playing of Cards)

Rosanne

Flavio Alberti Lollio (wow that name could label Chocolate) published in Venice 1550 an essay with an acid tongue about gaming and specified Tarocco for his vitriol. He must have lost big time at the gaming tables. :rolleyes:

On reading it some time ago, I was reminded that, it seemed to me that there is little comment about the possibility that the cards illustrate the game.

By that I mean- should you receive a deck of cards without any idea of how to play the game- the cards might well direct you in their illustration to how to play the game.

Kaplan states It is interesting to note that tarocco was apparently played by three persons It is also dealt counter clockwise and played in that order.

Take a look at the Wheel of Fortune in the earliest existing Marseilles type deck the Noblet.

http://www.tarotforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=225

How about you (yes you the enthusiast) look at the cards and see if you can justify this premise of illustrations are how to play the game.

~Rosanne

Bernice

I've read this post several times, and am at present, baffled.

Looking at the Wheel of Fortune, if one starts with the fellow on the left, then the animal-figure, and finally the King on top, it seems that first you go down (low scores?), and then up (higher scores?). But this is assuming that the Wheel is a sort of map or template for the game..... Or maybe if you start with the animal-figure, then the king etc....... could the King be the dealer?

I'm probably overlooking something glaringly obvious. I see there are 6 spokes to the wheel, but only 4 look as if they belong. Enigma.

Rosanne, please do hint at what you've discovered!

Bee :)