When does a death card really mean death?

Noob

I feel that this thread might belong here though i didn't actually draw the death card in my readings.

The reason why i am raising this question is because i came across a death card that says transformation while googling. I believe it's the Fairy Tale tarot picture that came up.

I understand that the death card doesn't always denote death in the literal sense, but more of a huge change or a demise of old ways, old systems, old status quo.

So i am just curious. When does a death card actually show a real physical death of someone?

How do we know when that's exactly what it is saying?

Thanks!

Carojulie

I would never be 100% sure that the death card means real physical death, for my part.

I do not believe tarot can give answers that are 100% certain concerning the future, and I do not believe you can get ultra precise information concerning present or past, for several reasons (one being that I do not believe that the future is set in stone, things can change ; an other reason being that tarot speaks in symbols and metaphors and that is not a 100% exact language in itself, and one of the most important reason being that I can always misread the cards and misinterpret the situation...)

But, you can probably get insight that the cards meaning bends more toward death in the litteral sense, or more towards "endings, changes, end of a chapter" in the larger sense, depending on the surrounding cards and especially depending on the specific question that was asked in the first place (if the question were about the health of a very elderly or very ill person, the appearance of the death card would be a little more ominous than usual I guess)

Personaly I would take this kind of insight very carefuly, though.
In my precedent example, the appearance of the death card in a reading on someone's health, could of course indicate a fatal issue, but could also mean several other things (maybe the way their condition is approached by the medical system is about to be completely changed ; maybe they will recover from the illness but the condition will have left sequellae that will change their everyday life ; maybe going through the illness will have changed the way they embrace their life's purpose...... once again, what are the rest of the cards saying ?)

I am interested in what more experienced readers will have to say though.

headincloud

We need to look to surrounding cards to fathom the meaning of the death card in a reading. It rarely translates as literal death but on the odd occasion it does we'd be looking for sword cards especially 10S, also judgement, tower along with many other combinations. Once I had death showing up with 2C when my grandfather died - the end of a relationship.

LeFou

When does a death card actually show a real physical death of someone?

Wow, that is a fascinating question. For me, that card is a way of saying "no," or something stops progressing.

Other times, it can simply mean old age and declining health, or an inheritance, but in a happier way, it might mean autumn, winter, seasons passing, gardening. Wisdom vs. innocence.

TarotNewbie1

I would say the Death Tarot would indicate a real death depending on the specific question asked and the surrounding cards. I say that because I think the cards will specifically answer the exact question you asked. So, if the specific question is asked and a physical Death can impact that question then it will show up.

Tower + Death +Four of Swords or Three of Swords or Ten of Swords regarding a specific health question may not be the best possible combination to see in general. But there is no specific combination in general but I agree Death with Sword cards doesn't bode well.

Barleywine

In cartomantic terms, the Ace of Spades (Swords) is the traditional death card, although usually not by itself. The 9 of Spades (Swords) is right up there with it as one of the most malevolent cards in the deck. Waite gives "death" as the first entry in his list of keywords for the 9 of Swords. If I saw Death appearing in close connection with either of these cards, it would give me pause. Paul Foster Case says the associated Hebrew letter, Nun, as a verb means "to sprout, to grow." Perhaps one must be "unencumbered," so to speak, in order to do that.

Moonpaw

Just as with every other card in the deck, there's no foolproof way to know; you just have to use your intuition. An Ace of Pentacles could represent an increase in income, a new career opportunity, an uptick in good health, a material gift, or any number of other things, for example. Generally, you'd look at the other cards involved as well and come to an intuitive conclusion.

As far as other cards go, physical death might pop into my head if Death came up with a number of reversed pentacles, especially a reversed 10/Pents.

Padma

I've had the Sun card come up for physical death. Going back to the source of all energy. I have had Emperor rx come up for the death of a grandfather. I have had Death, Tower, 9 of Swords, 3 of Swords all come up together to indicate death by a heart attack. So it isn't just the Death card; and as others have said, look to what surrounds it.

In the case of the Sun card, the death was a relief to all, including the dying one, due to the huge amount of suffering involved.

SunChariot

I feel that this thread might belong here though i didn't actually draw the death card in my readings.

The reason why i am raising this question is because i came across a death card that says transformation while googling. I believe it's the Fairy Tale tarot picture that came up.

I understand that the death card doesn't always denote death in the literal sense, but more of a huge change or a demise of old ways, old systems, old status quo.

So i am just curious. When does a death card actually show a real physical death of someone?

How do we know when that's exactly what it is saying?

Thanks!

When your intuition tells you it means that. It's very very rare that it means that. But it can on the rare occasion. In almost 15 years as a reader, Death only came up once, meaning actual death. It said the person the querent was asking about was feeling suicidal (eg he wanted to die) and she needed to help him.

Death, for me means something ending that is meant to end so that something better can come to replace it.

That can mean anything that falls under that explanation. Eg you get fired and start to look for a new job. And you find one much better for you. HAD you not been fired, you would have not been looking and not have found the better one. In that sense you were meant to lose the first one to find the second.

It can very literally mean your life ending because it was meant to happen (it's your time) and going on to the afterlife. But that's very very rare that Death does mean actual death. Not impossible but very very rarely does it mean that.

Again the only way to know when it means that if your intuition. You just FEEL inside that that IS the answer your your gut reaction won't leave you in peace until you pass on the info you are meant to to the querent.

Which is incidentally the exact and only way to know which of 2 possible card meanings is the right one. You need to feel it. Then you just know and your gut won't leave you in peace until you say what you are meant to. If you try not to say it, i you just get a strong feeling something is wrong, and it won't leave you alone until you say what you are meant to. At least that is how my intuition works for me.

The real question is if you see Death meaning death what do you do with that, morally?

If the cards tried to tell me the querent was going to die soon, I don't believe I would ever tell someone that. Although if there was a danger I would warn them. Like it if saw here in a car accident that night I would try and tell her it's not a good idea for her to go out in a car at that time.. Which is true enough...Or if it showed a way to prevent it, that I would definitely tell them.

But if I saw death for someone I am sure I would never tell them that. They deserve that time to be happy in and enjoy, the way I see it.

Babs

Nemia

I tried I don't know how many times to post an answer here but somehow am not allowed. Weird. I'll try again.