Playing Card Courts

Little Baron

I have been learning the cards through a great link posted by Kara in one of the cartomancy threads and there is some excellent information regarding the courts, as well as the pips.

I have about three sets of playing cards - some new and some old ones that I found around the house.
In comapring them with each other, I realised that in all three packs, aside from a few differences here and there, they all seem to carry the same symbols etc.

For example, in all three packs, the same two knights/jacks, face in the same direction. The red cards facing to the left (the past?) and the black to the right (the future?). However, from the four kings, only the Spades king faces to the right. The same as the spades queen.

In the jack cards, in all three packs, the 'Jack of Spades' holds some kind of tool - it looks like an ornate lemniscate (sp?) like the one above the head of the tarot magician. Does anyone know what his is and whether it has any meaning for divination? The other jacks also hold curious tools. All of my queens hold flowers - all are different. The two black kings hold swords, but the diamond king holds up one hand; the hearts king holds his sword behind his head.

Does anyone know why there are such differences or what they might mean?

LB

Little Baron

Thanks Fulgour - have saved the second one and will read through it later with a cup of tea.

LB

Phoenix Rising

Hi Little Bhudda
Something else that you may find interesting, A book that I'm reading 'destiny cards' mentions that 'Olney Richmond'(Order of the Magi) revealed the secrets of the cards to the public in the late 1800's, as it was time to bring it to the nations, so instructed by the prophecy of the '7 thunders'(see thread on 'card science in connection with astrology and the Great pyramid-astrology forum)
In the book the author mentions that Mr Richmond stated that card manufacturers have tried 'unsuccessfully' to print cards with different faces on the 'Courts'. Some decks will have oriental or famous people as the courts, but even today, they say that those different decks do not sell very well. Mr Richmond claims that the reason the other variations of cards do not sell is that the decks of cards have a mystical potency, which maintains the integrity of their original design. Members of the 'order' were instructed never to deface, alter, or otherwise change the cards in any way. The author says that for readings you choose cards that are of the original design, and avoid cards that are different. This includes cards that have the large numbers and the reduced faces and only the standard poker hand size, not the jumbo or mini decks. Stick with the old standbys and the accuracy of readings will increase.

He doesn't mention the designs on the backs of the cards, so i assume they are alright.

That Jack looks like he's holding a sign of the Affinity symbol. Interesting though is this jack can operate in the higher(spiritual realms) or the lower(materialistic)this card is also known as the 'thief' card. So that symbol would represent a choice of higher or lower. The jacks father the king according to the ancients is the most powerful court in the deck. And the Joker(fool) is also a enigma, he represents the day of 31 December. The day when the jester is able to make fun of royalty. Mr Richmond also mentioned that he never did a reading on 31st December, as this was the day of the fool, and alsorts of havoc this little guy can play.

But i am glad that you bought this question up, because I never really looked at these courts properly. I also compared it to other decks I have, just to look at the faces, and I know now why I like my stratus deck best, the other faces look alien, they don't sort of look normal if you know what I mean, although symbols are the same, but the colors and design are a little different too.

Phoenix Rising

Those cards look fine, actually they are quite lovely!

Little Baron

They feel right somehow. I have quite a few packs of older cards here but these ones feel nice in my hands. Also, I like the look of the courts. They feel quite human to me. I couple of them have a little smirk or wink to them, which is nice because they all feel like individuals.

LB

Satori

LB's links don't work anymore...anyone have any ideas as to what the right cards are? So can you just go and buy a poker deck or is that the wrong deck to get???

Phoenix Rising

Hi Satori,

Just any normal standard deck of cards. Bicycle I was told by another card master of the Olney destiny cards, says they are the best, as they have held true to the original design.

Phoenix

Satori

Wow Pheonix Rising I am so glad that you have responded to this thread! Thank you for this tip! :) :party::)

Pheonix, take a look here.