The Shadow Card

cj

MeeWah (31 Oct, 2001 09:07):
This is prompted by Thirteen's inquiry on the Tarot Cards forum.
The Shadow Card is the card that represents the hidden or unknown aspects of self; the "dark" side of self; the side of self one denies or projects onto others.
The term "shadow" was used by Carl Jung to refer to those qualities.
To determine if there is a Shadow Card, one needs to know the Personality-Soul Card, which is calculated from the birth date.

MeeWah,

Can you help me figure this one out.

My birth date is
1964 = 7 the Chariot

I came up with my soal card as the same as bec's? please let me know if this is right.

Thanks
cj

bec

Just testing my newfound skills here ;D

CJ>

-----
2058= 15 - P=TheDevil
1+5= 6 - S=TheLovers
15+6=21 - Shadow=TheWorld

:D well maybe :D

MeeWah

CJ: You are correct. 7-The Chariot is both Personality & Soul; Shadow is 16-The Tower.
Likely you assumed responsibilities early in life, a combination of circumstance & preference. You may have taken charge not only for yourself, but did so for or due to someone else or others as well--such as for a younger family member or some other person close to you. Indeed, you tend to take the fore when you see a need. Your tendency is to take action rather than be a spectator. Neither will you take chances leaving possibilities in the hands of another because you prefer to trust yourself. The Chariot is referred to as the "Warrior" card. Usually when you have made a decision, your plan is to follow through.
Your life has been marked by drastic changes which have served to strengthen you. The old saying about what does not break you, makes you seems to apply. This is a common theme in this life.
How does the mini-reading hit you--a combination of Tarot & astrology; however, please do not assume I am an expert. I am just another student of life, working on the chain gang (for some reason, Sam Cook's song has been playing in my head this past week) :D
Bec: CJ's birthdate is added as follows:
*=1978 =25=7
Do you see? Hope this helps.

bec

math :D not my strong point .....

If the total had been correct, would the cards I figured out then be right ?

MeeWah

Bec: The first two cards are correct.
I see you added Personality & Soul together.
The Shadow is the flip side of the Soul Card, the card "hidden" within or that casts a "shadow" after the other two cards are determined. It is probably easier to determine when both Personality & Soul are the same.
If the Personality Card is a "night-time" card--one of the cards between 14 through 18, that card acts as a Shadow also as it has those qualities already.
So if the Personality is 15-The Devil, then yes, the Soul is 6-The Lovers. The Devil also acts as a Shadow.

hippychick

This is great :) fascinating discussion.

My personality and soul card are each 8 - either Justice or Strength, depending on the pack - and my Shadow card (by Mary Greer's method) is 17, the Star.

However, there is another way to work out the Shadow of a particular card - lay all the major arcana out in number order in a figure eight, with the upper part of the eight being the cards from the Fool to the Hermit, the lower part being the cards from The Hanged Man to Judgement, and the crossover of the eight being formed by the Wheel of Fortune and the World overlayed. (Everyone got that?!) "Draw" the figure eight with the upper part going clockwise, and the lower part going anti-clockwise.

Now, to find the Shadow of a particular card, track how many cards it is from the centre crossover point - in my case, the shadow of my card (8) is 12, as each is two cards away from the centre crossover. Which in my case is very interesting, as it makes both my Soul and my Shadow cards Strength and/or Justice!

One of my favourite sunlight/shadow correlations using this method is the Hierophant/the Devil <eg>

N.B. the Shadow of The World is the Wheel of Fortune and vice versa, using this system.

peace
hc

hippychick

Something else that occurs to me in regard to the P/S/Sh cards, which was prompted by the poster (sorry, I forgot your name!) who added the Personality and Soul numbers together.

How about a Unity card? Add Personality to Soul, or Soul to Shadow, or all three together...?

P+S = self-aware self? (i.e. outer and inner self working together)
S+Sh = whole self? (i.e. integrated inner self)
P+S+Sh = "impact" self? (i.e. the power one can have when integrated inner self works in harmony with outer expression)

My P+S combination would be 16 - The Tower
S+Sh combination would be 7 - The Lovers
P+S+Sh combination would be 6 - The Chariot

Cool, huh?!

peace
hc

bec

The "8" method is very interesting - however I think I´ll pass ;D as for now anyway - the M Greer method still making my head spin *LOL*

However !!!!! A Unity Card ......... now *that´s* great !!

MeeWah: I´ve taken the step and ordered the books by M greer :D And I agree with melvis ;D it might just give a hole bunch of new questions :)

cj

MeeWah (03 Nov, 2001 23:14):
CJ: You are correct. 7-The Chariot is both Personality & Soul; Shadow is 16-The Tower.

MeeWah,

Did I ever tell you I am a true LEO and the Chariot and watch out..

Thank you for the mini reading..

With the Tower as my shadow, should I watch out for sudden changes to happen in my life? (have had a few so far)

Thanks again.

cj

Jewel

MeeWah thanks for the clarification on the Mary Greer books. I think I will go get the Tarot Constellations book, it will make a nice complement to the work I am doing with the Tarot for Yourself book.

Hippychick ... that is cool I think I will try that :)

Melvin and Bec since both of you will be working with the Mary Greer books also hopefully we can discuss other aspects as we learn! Sort of like group study *LOL*.

This has been really enriching. MeeWah thank you so much for originating this post!!!