To allow reversals or not - that is the question!

Do you allow cards to be reversed in a spread?

• YES - always

Votes: 80 26.1%
  • YES - but on rare occasions not

Votes: 55 18.0%
  • NO - never

Votes: 80 26.1%
  • NO - but on rare occasions I do

Votes: 91 29.7%

• Total voters

Grizabella

I've tried it both ways and found that not using reversals works best for me.

I notice that on the poll, it's about a three-way split, with using on rare occasions and not using them at all at a dead heat. :D

AngelC

None of the alternatives fit.
I do sometimes, depends on the deck.
Some I read with reversals, some I don't so it depends which one I pick up to read with.

Muser257

When i first started I used reversal religiously. I would lay all the cards on the floor and mix them thoroughly and the bring them together. I don't like reversals as much nowadays because I felt that they were just the negative aspects of the cards but after reading The Complete Book of Tarot reversals i decided that after buying it i might as well get some use out of it. Instead of mixing them all on the floor, i fan the deck, reverse five cards that i'm drawn to, shuffle and if they come out they come out. After that reading I put all the cards back upright. However after learning elemental dignites I sometimes take those into consideration so if the 2 of cups is reversed but its between the high priestess and the the 9 of cups i would turn it upright because the water element would affect it.

firecatpickles

I figured the poll would be even Steven on this one. I change my mind so much I don't know if I shoulda even voted.

At the present, I do not read reversals at all. They confuse me & I find them unecessary as I read all menaings of each card, alone, with one another, both upright & reversed, etc. etc..

But that's just me right now. Check back in a coupla months.

KK

starrystarrynight

I always eschew absolutes. :smoker:

hehe.

I voted mostly no but sometimes allow them (or however it was worded) because I generally feel that the surrounding cards make me intuitively feel how a card is to be read in a given spread. But sometimes, if one just flies out and demands to be reversed, well, ya gotta take that into consideration, right?

Sulis

kilts_knave said:
I figured the poll would be even Steven on this one. I change my mind so much I don't know if I shoulda even voted.

At the present, I do not read reversals at all. They confuse me & I find them unecessary as I read all menaings of each card, alone, with one another, both upright & reversed, etc. etc..

But that's just me right now. Check back in a coupla months.

KK

KK you sound just like me ;)

When I voted in this poll I said didn't use reversals.

Later on I posted that I did.

Now I don't again - go figure :)