if I am only to own one Marseille...

Lokismile

... which one should I purchase?

This would be used as an example to friends and clients simply as a talking point and reference of the Marseille tradition. Something to pass around the living room while geeking out with people new to the art.
traditional in feel, and coloring preferably.

Preferably one I can obtain relatively easily, and not expensive (under $40).

Your thoughts?

Penthasilia

The Noblet by Flornoy. Inexpensive and very well done. :)

Le Fanu

Either the Dodal or the Noblet by Flornoy but as you say traditional in colouring and feel, I'd also recommend the Pierre Madenié by our Yves or his Chosson deck. Both are beautiful reproductions still with the patina of age.

Richard

I could easily make do with only the CBD Marseille. The very similar Marteau-Grimaud would be a close second. I don't like facsimile's of older decks because I feel that the deterioration of the images due to age and use somehow detracts from their authenticity. I think that Flornoy's careful reconstructions of the Noblet and Dodal are about as close to authentic as one can get, but I really prefer the Conver images as used in the hugely popular CBD and Grimaud decks. If that makes me a member of the great, unwashed, illiterate, know-nothing, non-purist majority, then so be it. At least this is consistent with my preference for the Rider-Waite among twentieth century decks. :D

le_charior

I second the Noblet, but it is relatively small in size (which is part of it's great charm) - or the Chosson deck if you want something a bit larger.

ETA: and be warned, that's how it started for most of us I think, just one Marseille deck... and then you get sucked in and all of a sudden you are craving to have them ALL! ;) so much variety, so much history, such a richness of bigger and more subtle differences...

rivergum

Oh goodie! I have the CBD Marseille deck in the post already and I have already put my name down for the current Robledo order. So exciting! Good to see all the recommendations.

Cactus Dahlia

Tarocco Soprafino

This deck is available at Alida Store for 46.50 euros which would be under US$40. Very traditional; superb coloring; humorous; beautiful; AND a limited edition deck of only 2000! Quality card. Easy to obtain too.

Yes, I don't think you can go too far wrong with the Tarocco Soprafino. :)

jema

Actually the Euro is a lot stronger then the US dollar...

Anyway, my one and only TdM would be the Flornoy Dodal. And a close second the Robledo TdM :-D

I am already getting quite a collection but still need a lot of decks. Like that Soprafino!