whats the best rider waite deck

Emily

I have the 'Original' Rider Waite with the tudor rose on the back and I'm not overkeen on the colouring of this deck. Some of the images have thick black lines and it makes it hard to see the detail. The limited colours used doesn't include blue so anything blue comes out a pale green. I did learn with this deck but if I had known that there was an other normal coloured version of the Rider Waite I would have bought that instead.

I do like the Radiant Rider and the Universal Waite but like others on here have mentioned sometimes details have been lost and its a shame because then you lose symbolism. I also have the pocket version of the Rider Waite, normal colouring, and its a very clear and clean version - I just need to get the standard size version now :)

bigcaat

rota said:
-- or, if you want to consider the range of clone-decks and RWS-similar decks, there's a list with pictures here: http://www.lelandra.com/rwsclones/tarotrwsclosest.htm
There's some interesting ones there.

Great link! Thanks. I have a number of decks, but there's a bunch on there that I'd never even seen before. I have to start beefing up my Christmas wish list. :)

Caat

Richard

Smith-Waite Centennial (aka PCS Commemorative)

Emily

Smith-Waite Centennial (aka PCS Commemorative)

Yes I think so too :) With the LoS PCS coming in a very close second.

EDIT
In early 2016, Lo Scarabeo changed the artwork of the LoS PCS so I would not recommend the second version/edition.

bigcaat

I have to agree with Richard, the Pamela Coleman Smith Commemorative. It's even come down in price.

But you need to take a look for yourself because every deck speaks to everyone individually. Google RIDER-WAITE-SMITH TAROT DECKS & CLONES and you should come up with some good links with images of all available. Don't forget the Illuminated Tarot. I'm afraid to give a link, even though it's not my site, but if you google "Illuminated Tarot" it should come up at the top.

I couldn't imagine having that as my primary deck, but if bright colors speak to you, consider that or the radiant tarot. If you like pastels, consider the Universal Waite Tarot. (The colors are nicer on the full sized deck, but they also have a pocket sized that I use all the time.)

I personally like the PCS commemorative because the card stock is thick, and the colors are beautifully muted, old world style. Colorwise, the Orignial tarot is nice like that as well, but it's glossy, not matte, like the PCS, and the card stock is not as thick.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Keep us posted, and use it in the best of health. :)

Caat

Mystic Zyl

I like universal waite

Rhinemaiden

My current favorite is a recent acquisition... a plaid back 1971 USG RWS with NO copyright on the card face. Card stock is silky, colors are what I'm used to seeing, printed in Switzerland. :thumbsup:

Wil_Mac

I definitely love the Pre-copyright US Games editions in the yellow box. They're nicely finished and don't have the plastic smell of the newer editions. They also don't have the reversible symbols on the backs to give anything away early.

It is fun to have several differently colored decks because you wind up being able to "see things anew" again. The Tarot of the New Vision is a pretty cool rendering of the RWS world too.

There's a nice .pdf someone created to tell the earlier "vintage" US Games decks from the modern ones, but I can't figure out how to upload it at this point! The vintage ones pop up regularly on ebay.

Rhinemaiden

I definitely love the Pre-copyright US Games editions in the yellow box. They're nicely finished and don't have the plastic smell of the newer editions. They also don't have the reversible symbols on the backs to give anything away early.

It is fun to have several differently colored decks because you wind up being able to "see things anew" again. The Tarot of the New Vision is a pretty cool rendering of the RWS world too.

There's a nice .pdf someone created to tell the earlier "vintage" US Games decks from the modern ones, but I can't figure out how to upload it at this point! The vintage ones pop up regularly on ebay.

Finding a vintage USG "no copyright" RWS on Ebay requires magnification and sharp eyes! ;) If you see a smudge in the lower right corner of the cards, it's the copyright, walk on by. Another clue to a no copyright vintage deck, but not an absolute guarantee, is NO isbn on the yellow box.

I also have the Tarot of the New Vision and agree with you... it's a whole new perspective on the RWS. I'm glad I have it. :thumbsup:

Other USG RWS decks in my collection:

-- standard 1971 COPYRIGHT ON CARDS plaid back in yellow box

-- "Original" 1993 reprint on the plastic stock with measle faces

-- Pixie 100th Anniversary set

-- pocket size Universal Waite

But my favorite is the USG RWS NO COPYRIGHT plaid back. :heart: