Tarot de Marseille: your Top Five

Yves Le Marseillais

Time is on our side.... Rolling Tarots

I have the 22 on order from Mr. Houdouin...I hope very much that he does a 78 as well!

He will do it: I discussed this matter with him few days ago.
He is working on Pips right now.
I will push to persuade him to directly made a perfect deck regarding paper, thickness and all this details that make a deck really different.
When ?: It will take about two years all in one.

I know it's too long but quality means Time.

Very excited for your Burdel, Yves. I cannot believe how sublime the Madenie and Chosson are.
Burdel is a new challenge and has to be good because his original is great and in perfect condition.
2014 if all things goes well.

Patience, work and insight are necessary....

Best

Yves

Inconnu

I'm glad to see this thread brought back to life.

1) Tarot de Marsella Robledo edicion MMXIII. Pablo's new one. This instantly went to the top of the heap for me. I can't imagine what would replace this as my favorite.

2) Tarot de Marseille Pierre Madenie 1709, from Yves. Wonderful facsimile edition. I love the wear & tear look that's preserved on facsimile's.

3) Jean Payen Marseille of 1743/2008. A facsimile pack. Quite nice, comes in a plain paper wrap inside a cloth covered box secured with tied ribbons. My only complaint is the rather light card stock but it's not bad. This is my only TDM I & I quite like its difference.

4) The CBD. This pack is much appreciated here & really needs no send up, but...it is beautifully done.

5) A 1981 copyright Grimaud with the dark blue. I'd of liked the earlier medium blue edition but this has the right features & is my workhorse deck.

Moonbow

Grimaud, it's basic and doesn't distract me for reading. I would LOVE to have an old edition.

Noblet, Flornoy's is just perfect.

Hadar, innovative and colourful

Camoin, innovative and colourful

Piatnik, the little details send me into a Google loop

Vieville, it's different and obscure

I'm fortunate to have these plus a few others, but these are my favourite six!

jackdaw*

1. Hadar
2. Grimaud (with French titles)
3. Heron version of the Conver
4. Dodal, USG version a few years back (Dodal based, anyway)
5. Dodal, Dusserre

Not 100% sure about order for the 2-5 slots, but #1 is always there at #1. Don't lecture me about inaccuracies, agendas and those glowing lights coming out of some of the figures' heads (and don't get me started on the dates on the 2 Deniers!). It's beautiful and I love it.

Le Fanu

Goodie! Old thread!

I shall be honest and just list the ones I really do use...

My top 5;

1. Flornoy Dodal
2. Lo Scarabeo Ancient Tarot of Marseilles (I know, I know; heathen)
3. ISIS Marseilles
4. Flornoy Noblet
5. Pierre Madenié

ETA, I'm only not listing the Vieville because everyone will tell me it's not a TdM but please bear in mind from the list that I :heart: the Vieville (oops, was that six?)

Nina*

1. Flornoy Dodal
2. CBD
3. Rhenan
4. Flornoy Noblet
5. Jodo-Camoin

I also love the Millennium by Wilfried Houdouin and WISH he would make a full deck.

Yves Le Marseillais

Millennium full deck

1. Flornoy Dodal
2. CBD
3. Rhenan
4. Flornoy Noblet
5. Jodo-Camoin

I also love the Millennium by Wilfried Houdouin and WISH he would make a full deck.

Hello Nina,

Good news: Wilfried is on the road again and bound for his FULL deck version !!

Yes he can :)))

He is slow but result will be great I know his work and meet him often.

Best

Yves

Nina*

Hello Nina,

Good news: Wilfried is on the road again and bound for his FULL deck version !!

Yes he can :)))

He is slow but result will be great I know his work and meet him often.

Best

Yves

That's really great news, Yves! Thank you so much for letting me know! :)

Ganaca

Nice thread to start posting again

- Convos
- Lo Scarabeo Universal Marseille
- Hadar (1st ed.)
- Rhodes-Sanchez Marsella
- have one of those no-name colorful Argentinian Marseilles that you can catch sometimes on
eBay... that's probably my fave.

If Tarot D'Ambre qualified it would be my favorite... the reviews here on AT were, IMO, simply disrespectful and ignorant of the Marseille tradition and roots of this deck... pip cards are not about "memorised meanings".

Ganaca

BSwett

I'm sure there are various jewels I haven't had in my hands that could change this list, but at the moment, my favs are stacked something like this:

1) Fournier Spanish tarot. (Oh, how I would love to see an Ottone facsimile)
2) Flornoy Dodal. (Perfection. Ill never forget the day I received this from France)
3) Flornoy Noblet. (I could carry this in my pocket for ever)
4) Pierre Madenie by Yves. (Just got this and I'm already in love. Still building a relationship with it; I'm sure it'll climb up the list. )
5) Piatnik TdM. Quiet jewel. Perfect card stock

My next two decks are gonna be the Hadar with its lovely blue vibe, and the Vieville facsimile. I bet this two will probably move things around as well...