High Priestess: Boaz, Jachin, Torah etc

CastleCrest

Liz C said:
I still have a problem with Waite choosing the Torah, which is essentially a list of things which one should or should not do, a list of laws to be followed (unless I've missed something, no offence intended to anyone of the Jewish faith).

22 letter in the hebrew alphabet & 22 major arcana in the tarot deck.
All connected to the 22 paths of the Tree of Life.
Torah has many levels.

Umbrae

Widow's Son said:
historical documents indicate that the Templars used the Tarot as a means of communication.
Please cite these historical documents...please just a shred of proof...since Tarot does not surface until after the Templars were kaput...there's a gap of just a few years - before Tarot shows up on the scene. Please kind sir...a scrap of proof?

Otherwise - it's simply speculation.

Widow's Son

Umbrae said:
Please cite these historical documents...please just a shred of proof...since Tarot does not surface until after the Templars were kaput...there's a gap of just a few years - before Tarot shows up on the scene. Please kind sir...a scrap of proof?

Otherwise - it's simply speculation.

I can't post links because what I have read have been in books, not the internet. Some of us still read non-fiction and do not source our facts from the internet (where most is speculation)

Books written by authors that researched paper documents in archives for multiples years prior to writing.

You can start with any of the books by Chris Knight and then move on to any of the Templar books written by Stephen Dafoe.

You should also look harder. The Templars were not "kaput" in 1308. They just ceased to exist officially in France and Italy. They survived and thrived intact in Spain and Portugal with the blessing of the monarchs of those countries. Not to mention their travels to Scotland.

Did you know there are masonic degrees that give all of the historical accounts of the Templars? And these degrees pre-date ANY archaeological research done by hundreds of years? These degrees discuss in depth the Templars excavating below Herod's Temple long before the British went in to the crypts and found evidence that they were there.

Get off the internet and pick up a book. There are many on the subject. The information is in the public domain.

So excuse me if I choose not to use geeky internet links for "proof"

Umbrae

Widow's Son said:
I can't post links because what I have read have been in books, not the internet. Some of us still read non-fiction and do not source our facts from the internet (where most is speculation)

Books written by authors that researched paper documents in archives for multiples years prior to writing.

You can start with any of the books by Chris Knight and then move on to any of the Templar books written by Stephen Dafoe.

You should also look harder. The Templars were not "kaput" in 1308. They just ceased to exist officially in France and Italy. They survived and thrived intact in Spain and Portugal with the blessing of the monarchs of those countries. Not to mention their travels to Scotland.

Did you know there are masonic degrees that give all of the historical accounts of the Templars? And these degrees pre-date ANY archaeological research done by hundreds of years? These degrees discuss in depth the Templars excavating below Herod's Temple long before the British went in to the crypts and found evidence that they were there.

Get off the internet and pick up a book. There are many on the subject. The information is in the public domain.

I din't ask for links. I asked for historical proof. I asked for references, not a diatribe.

You may wish to post your theories in the Historical Resarch forum. I think we'd learn a lot.

And no, you are not the lone brother to a prince or fiend of a begger if he be found worthy around here.

...from the east...

be well.

Rosanne

Widow's Son said:

You arrogant Son of a Widow.
Go and read the History threads- where you will find this subject discussed by greater minds than yours appears to be.
You did not read Umbrae's post correctly as he has since pointed out. Does not bode well from someone who purports to read books, and despises the geeky web. Dare to look at Tarotpedia and Trionfi or even Andy's Playcards- they are not too intellectual even if based on facts.

~Rosanne

Teheuti

Widow's Son said:
historical documents indicate that the Templars used the Tarot as a means of communication.
Please, please, please tell us more about this. Where can we find the primary documents? Exactly what do they say?

Teheuti

I just took a look at Christopher Knight's chapter on tarot in The Second Messiah: Templars, the Turin Shroud and the Great Secret of Freemasonry. He is basing everything on secondary resources that are known to be unreliable historically - if not pure fiction. For instance, Barbara Walker is not a historian nor trained scholar and most of her tarot material is fanciful speculation (even if I happen to enjoy it). Very little of what he says is based on any real facts.

You are in the "Tarot History & Iconography" section of the forum where we reserve the right to ask for verifiable facts and sources and to debate theories.

Curtis Penfold

Pomegranates

Alright, if you wiki POMEGRANATE, you'll find some interesting stuff. What I feel is important is:

1) They were used to decorate the two pillars in front of SOLOMON'S TEMPLE! (As in, this card shows us a real interpretation of how it'd look).

Some Jewish scholars believe it was the pomegranate that was the FRUIT OF THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL.

2) To Christians, a broken pomegranate may symbolize CHRIST'S SUFFERING.

3) I've read, I believe in "Secret Origins of the Bible," that the pomegranate used to be a SYMBOL OF HEART.

Wow! If the creator of this card was thinking of that, it definitely adds an extra layer to the intuition element of the High Priestess.

Curtis Penfold

Teheuti said:
There's lots of information about the pomegranate, Dionysos Zagreus and Persephone here http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Zagreus.html

See also the discussion at:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=56674

Interesting discussion posted. Really shows how Jewish religious beliefs can correlate with the Occult. And it is interesting to look at the Pomegranates as symbols referring to these fertility myths.

I do, however, feel that this card is simply utilizing symbols found on the Temple of Solomon, trying to present them in such a way that modern spirituality can appreciate.