CBD Tarot de Marseille - new Conver restoration

Yoav Ben-Dov

the positive reactions to the post on face expressions, and what people said that it is useful for them, motivated me do do a longer piece on the colors. also it is good for me to write things down while still fresh in my memory.

as it is quite long, i put it in 4 consecutive installments in a separate thread
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=2966342

i think i should also do a third one, on the lines - how and why i did them in this way. forthcoming, i hope..

Kissa

A quick question for those who own the deck: is the background as bright white as the Camoin-Jodo? That always hurt my eyes. Really. The smooth color in Hadar suits me better.

Kissa

Maskelyne

A quick question for those who own the deck: is the background as bright white as the Camoin-Jodo? That always hurt my eyes. Really. The smooth color in Hadar suits me better.
I have both and the card stock looks equally white to me. The general impression of the CBD is a little less bright on some cards due to its use of a slightly muted blue, but otherwise it's similar.

Le Fanu

Kissa
Well I don't know if it means anything but I could never use the CJ deck as it seems too lifelessly bright in all aspects and yet I love the CBD. I couldn't swear that it's less white but maybe the other colours are less bright. Whatever, the tones are warmer and seem slightly more gentle. The deck has a very different feel to the CJ. It would never cross my mind to compare them; except to say - yes - I suppose they're both Conver decks.

Maskelyne

After spending some time laying the two decks out together, I have to say the CBD's color palette, of which that off blue is a major component, gives it a more harmonious visual texture than the CJ.

I'm also noticing the difference in the gazes. In the CJ, figures tend to be looking off into the middle distance. This makes them seem quite disconnected when looked at alone, but leads to interesting sight lines in layouts. In the CBD, the faces looked more engaged, like someone's at home and taking care of business. In La Force, the figure appears to be looking downward toward the lion, as befits someone with her fingers where hers are, while in the CJ she stares blankly into space. I would include a scan but my Photoshop is throwing a tantrum.

Sulis

Well I don't know if it means anything but I could never use the CJ deck as it seems too lifelessly bright in all aspects and yet I love the CBD. I couldn't swear that it's less white but maybe the other colours are less bright. Whatever, the tones are warmer and seem slightly more gentle. The deck has a very different feel to the CJ. It would never cross my mind to compare them; except to say - yes - I suppose they're both Conver decks.

I completely agree with Le Fanu :).

There is a comparison scan in post #19 of this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2874184&postcount=19

The decks do appear to have similar colour palettes but I think the CBD is more muted. I had the Jodo-Camoin deck and like Le Fanu, couldn't use it or take to it at all... Just didn't like it. It seemed garishly bright and lifeless to me. The CBD, although superficially similar is a different beast all-together. This deck draws you in, is friendly and it speaks very clearly...

I think if you get one and don't like it Kissa you'd have no problem at all getting rid of it in the Trading forum :).

Kissa

Thanks for all the replies :)

Tibor

Nobody seems to like the CJ deck even though this was what Mr Ben-Dov has used as well before the CBD was 'born' (I think or maybe I am wrong:) I am still not sure if I need yet another Marseille deck since I have quite a few. I do agree with most people that the characters in the CBD deck seems to be more lively or cheerful whereas in the CJ deck they seem more sad or serious. But that does not convince me per se, having said that I must admit I love the CBD version of the Moon card.I am not sure what to do? To order or not to order:that is the question!!! :)

Yves Le Marseillais

Tastes

Nobody seems to like the CJ deck even though this was what Mr Ben-Dov has used as well before the CBD was 'born' (I think or maybe I am wrong:) I am still not sure if I need yet another Marseille deck since I have quite a few. I do agree with most people that the characters in the CBD deck seems to be more lively or cheerful whereas in the CJ deck they seem more sad or serious. But that does not convince me per se, having said that I must admit I love the CBD version of the Moon card.I am not sure what to do? To order or not to order:that is the question!!! :)

Hello,

I have both of them and Conver Ben Dav is much more nicer than Camoin Jodo: As you said faces are more smooth and "gentle".

But it's a question of taste, aesthetic and..... knowledge.
Because may be you don't know yet all variety of Tarot of Marseilles decks who are (and will be) on the market.
Watch out this Forum on Tarot of Marseille area and Historical part and you will have some good news within few days.

Bear in mind that a facsimile and a new deck are quite different things for exemple.

All depend of... you and what is your inner goal in fact.

Best from Marseille City

Old €urope

Tibor

Could anyone please tell me what is in the LWB that comes with this deck. How detailed it is? Are there any tips on interpreting the pip cards any nice spreads? I really would like to order this deck but I am so indecisive about it since I have the CJ version.