Tarot as a Way of Life

darwinia

I would like to hear opinions of this book please:

Tarot as a Way of Life : A Jungian Approach to the Tarot by Karen
Hamaker-Zondag

The review at amazon mentions that she discusses both major and minor arcana and does a comparison of symbolic differences between decks. It's apparently not just standard divinations, but tarot illustrations as a manifestation of the life process.

Is that so, and what do you think about her view and the information in the book? What decks does she compare?

Thanks,

Judy

Maan

Hi Judy
I think i have read this book in dutch.
But i did not like it:( Se explained in the firts part of the book why she thinks that the rider waite tarot the best deck is.
She compairse it with i believe the arcus arcanum, witches tarot, haindle and the Hanson Roberts.
Especially the hanson roberts did not meet here standards. And that was my primairy reading deck at that moment so i did not finish the book and took it back to the library ;)

I hope you get some good reviews here about this book that might encourage me to pick it up again and finish it :)

Love and Light
Maan

darwinia

Maan:
<<I hope you get some good reviews here about this book that might encourage me to pick it up again and finish it >>

Well, no one seems to have an opinion but you! <g> Thanks for the input. I myself have never been attracted to the Rider-Waite deck and don't own one. I find it frustrating that every book uses it for comparisons and teaching. It's ubiquitous like Microsoft.

I am considering these other books as well:

2) Tarot and the Tree of Life: Finding Everyday Wisdom in the Minor Arcana by Isabel Radow Kliegman
3) Tarot Shadow Work: Using the Dark Symbols to Heal
Author: Christine Jette
4) Tarot and the Journey of the Hero by Hajo Banzhaf

Wouldn't you know the most expensive books are the ones I'm interested in? Never fails, no matter what the subject. I'll have to try trading or something.

Thanks fro replying,
Judy

truthsayer

i have "tarot shadow work" and "tarot and the journey of the hero". i consider both of them excellent and highly recommend them.

darwinia

Originally posted by truthsayer:

<<i have "tarot shadow work" and "tarot and the journey of the hero". i consider both of them excellent and highly recommend them.>>

Okay thanks for the recommendation.

Judy

oriel

"Tarot and the Tree of Life" is GREAT. A woman I chatted with in the metaphysical store recommended it to me when she found out I was a tarot newbie =).

darwinia

Originally posted by oriel:

"Tarot and the Tree of Life" is GREAT. A woman I chatted with in the metaphysical store recommended it to me when she found out I was a tarot newbie>>

Aha, I was very lucky that last week someone agreed to trade this for some older apllique books I had, so I'll have the chance to read it shortly. I do love a new book!

Thanks,

Judy

oriel

i hope you like your new book as much as i do :)
i haven't finished reading mine. it is really interesting and i enjoy taking my time with it.
i hope the author writes a book about the major arcana.

divinerguy

I have the Tarot Companion by Tracy Porter. It has card meanings and a symbol dictionary.

It also references Tarot to the Qabalah, the I Ching, Astrology and Numerology. Overall, I compact little reference book, that's loaded with useful information. $12.95 USD, published by Llewelyn, ISBN 1-56718-574-6.

darwinia

Originally posted by divinerguy
<<I have the Tarot Companion by Tracy Porter. It has card meanings and a symbol dictionary.

It also references Tarot to the Qabalah, the I Ching, Astrology and Numerology. Overall, I compact little reference book, that's loaded with useful information. $12.95 USD, published by Llewelyn, ISBN 1-56718-574-6.>>

I just checked the reviews at Amazon and it seems interesting, although one review was scathingly bad. I've got it on my list of things to look for.

I am fresh out of money right now having just got The Encyclopedia of Tarot volume III which I've had on backorder until they reprinted it. With tax it cost $75 CDN. That's me on the skids for months. <g>

Thanks,

Judy