The Four of Swords' symbols

Jeanette

I've already read about the PAX in the stained-glass window; and as I was pondering this I also noted a little "thing" seemingly fixed to the wall just below and to the right of the window, but on the wall itself. What is this "thing" and what is the purpose/symbolism of it being there? Maybe is it some device for opening/closing the window? It appears to have some sort of rod or wire coming out of the top of it and running up the wall, parallel to the window. I'm curious now, and wonder if anybody else has noticed this and could enlighten me!

Emily

Hi Jeanette,

There was a little bit of a discussion about the 4 Swords and the decoration on the wall.
If you scroll down a little, its a thread started by Firemaiden. :)

Jeanette

Thank you, Emily; I checked out that explanation but it still seems to me that maybe that little "thing" was meant to be something mechanical (because of the 'rod' coming out of the top and going up the wall, I guess). I was wondering if anybody else thought that maybe there wasn't some hidden, esoteric meaning behind it and that it was simply just part of the window mechanism?

Jeanette

Well, I read that entire thread and I must say that it was very informative (and entertaining!). However, unless I missed something, I really didn't find an answer to what the "thing" is on the wall! I wish someone could just contact Pixie and ask her directly what she was thinking when she drew it!

firemaiden

Hi Jeanette, are you talking about the ram's head?

lark

What is that thing?

I told my son about this thread and we got out my two Rider Waite decks. I have the Universal and the 1910 deck. That thing on the wall looks different in each deck. In the 1910 deck it looks like a sguiggle but in the Universal deck my son observed that it looks like the head of a bull. Maybe the sign of Taurus?

I don't know much about astrology but maybe someone else can interpert it.

My husband thinks it's just decorative framing around the window. (he's a carpenter) Please forgive him.

firemaiden

Yes, I did rather obssess about that bizarre detail , and could never quite arouse anyone's interest beyond the carpenter's window moulding concept.

But why is it there? A miniature, stealth symbol, you need a microscope to notice -- a horned thing... is it a reminder of the sleeping life force of the knight?

Moongold

I remember this original discussion way back in February this year. Since then, firemaiden, I have come to appreciate your eye for detail.

If you look at the "Ram's Head" it doesn't really fit with the line or perspective of the window, but then there is a lot out of kilter perspective-wise with Pixie Colman Smith's art work.

There are a few other possible interpretations.

The Ram's head thing runs parallel to the swords and is almost the same design as the swords, just slightly thinner. So it looks almost like a sword. Could it be a lamb not a ram? Lambs are symbols of peace so there could be a bit of irony here. Three hanging swords and one hanging lamb?

The other thing I wondered is if the whole lamb object could actually be a curtain rod of some kind but I think this is less likely somehow.

firemaiden

I don't have it in front of me, but aren't there horns? Like the curved horns on a big-horn sheep?

If there are horns, it aint no lamb...