waite's replacement deck?

stagfoot

I read in a book somewhere that Waite and the artist J. B. Trinick (never heard of him) were working on a second tarot in the 1920s.
I don't know if it was ever finished, but does anyone know anything about it, or has seen the images?

Cerulean

Very little references still...

The known information is posted in Marion's link...the book A History of the Occult Tarot seems to be the only recent reference with a few pictures.

Anyone else good at googling searches or perhaps whose been able to find out anything further....? I'm interested as well.

Cerulean

stagfoot

I've just seen some of the images from the afore mentioned book.
The cards are quite tall and narrow, about a ratio of 1 to 2:3.
The style seems to late Art Nouveau with just a touch of early classical Deco.
If anything, and without knowing better, I'd say they were done before the first war, not after it.
The shading, and there seemed to be a lot of it, was quite grainy and mechanical.
The photos were B&W and I don't if the origionals are in colour or not.

12 cards shown in all;

1, Looks like the magician; figure young male with pentagram over head holding long wand with three cross bars at the top.
In front of him is a small circular table with three legs.
Floating just above the surface of the table are 4 objects, one of which is a cup.

2, haven't a clue. naked male figure stands on small light coloured sphere and has much larger dark sphere touching his head and raised arms.

3, The High priestess?/ Judgement? Large seated Isis floats on clouds surrounded by a shape similar to that of Crowleys thoth deck, while below very small figure without stretched arms stands in front of water and bathed in beam of light from Isis.

4, The Sun? /Judgement? robed Christ like figure in large sun /sphere over robed figure with raised arms and glowing hexagram on chest.

5, The devil. Lucifer naked and standing in air on a layer of smoke formed from nine candles on square altar with man and woman chained on either side.

6, The lovers. adam & Eve between two trees with angel overhead.

7, Temperance. angel between two pillars and high above landscape with river, pours from two vessels.

8, the Moon. Apollo? face looking down to right upon quarter moon face above two towers with dogs and crayfish.

9, Justice. Standard justice figure in possible tree of life with lightning sword above. To left at bottom serene face in large rose. to right small male and female figures entraped within sphere.

10, The Star. clothed woman pours water into possible lake.
seven stars above, one on breast.

11, The Tower. Very tall tower struck by light at top (hard to see detail)

12 The World. Standard design.