Which Lenormand to purchase?

Diana

Astrea: All the Lenormand decks are very easy for me to find. So if Jeannette has problems getting you one, let me know.....

Lee

Please forgive me if this has been answered before, but do the decks with mythological/astrological figures (#s 1 and 2) have any connection in meaning or in basic imagery to the later decks? Or are the later decks a whole different kettle of fish?

Thanks --
Lee

Astraea

Hi, Lee! I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully one of our friends here will.

Diana, thank you very much for your kind offer to help me obtain a Lenormand if Jeannette has difficulty getting it. I so appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Rusty Neon

Grand Lenormand

By the way, you can see scans of some of the cards of the Grand Lenormand deck at the following website, together with a brief review in French of that deck.

http://membres.lycos.fr/tarobat/mesjeux/Jeux.htm

When at the webpage, click on "Le Lenormand", near the bottom of the webpage. You can then click on the small scans of the cards, to get larger scans.

Astraea

Thank you, Rusty Neon, that is a wonderful site and the cards are very beautiful.

WolfyJames

About this deck that Diana talked about:

3) Jeu Lenormand: Cartes de bonne aventure d'après la méthode reconnue si exacte de Mlle Lenormand. There are 36 cards. Publishers: Carta Mundi, Belgium.

This is the version of LeNormand that I have. I can find it here quite easily, around 8$CA. If you want to have one, tell me. I know how kind Diana is but she might live too far away for Americans.

By the way, if anyone can find informations on this deck (the small version) and how to use the cards, with meanings, share it with us. There's not much informations out there about it and I'm sure everyone would be glad to know too.

Edit:

I corrected the price of the LeNormand deck and added the taxes.

Astraea

Thank you for your kind offer, Wolfy! I still have not been able to obtain the Carta Mundi deck with French phrases, but have purchased Lo Scarabeo's Sibilla Lenormand and their Sibilla Oracle Cards. I think that I will see how those work out, but I might well contact you in the future about Carta Mundi -- and thank you once again for your offer of help!

tatsi

Different types of Lenormand decks

Diana said:
I think I understand better now which Lenormand deck is which....

There are four Lenormand decks.

1) Grand Jeu de Mlle Lenormand. There are 54 cards. Publishers: Grimaud, France.
2) Petit Lenormand - Je de cartes divinatoires d'après la méthode admirablement simplifiée de Mlle Lenormand. There are 36 (or 37 cards, can't make it out). Publishers: Grimaud, France.
3) Jeu Lenormand: Cartes de bonne aventure d'après la méthode reconnue si exacte de Mlle Lenormand. There are 36 cards. Publishers: Carta Mundi, Belgium.
4) Mlle Lenormand - Jeu du Destin. There are 36 cards. Publishers: Piatnik, Austria.

Number one (54 cards) is apparently the exact reproduction of the one Mlle Lenormand created. It's a very complicated deck with astro-mythological figures.

Number two was also designed by Mlle Lenormand herself. It is a bit simpler (less cards), but also has astro-mythological figures.

Number three is a more modern deck. Designed at the beginning of the twentieth century. It was not created by her at all.

Number four is just an even more modern version than number three.

I personally have decided to use the number three. The Piatnik deck has the clouds the wrong way round for me.

I will keep number one and two for when I have time to study a lot. Because they are really pretty complicated and I cannot make head or tail of them, even with the help of books. I even tried to read a book which apparently was written by Mlle Lenormand herself, but I didn't understand it.

A course with an expert would be more up my sleeve..........

felicityk said:
For what it's worth, I read in A Wicked Pack of Cards that Mlle. Lenormand never used a full 52-card deck for divination. She only ever used the smaller "piquet" deck (32 cards). Does the Petit Lenormand usually have 32 or 36 cards?

There are several different types of Lenormand decks. However, I have read that Lenormand only used the small 'piquet' deck (32 cards) and not the 36 or 52 card decks. If anyone is interested in a 32 card Lenormand or supposedly influenced deck, check out Le Jeu du Destin Antique by Piatnik. The instructions are in English.

tatsi

stella01904

MM ~ Just about every old oracle deck CLAIMS some connection to Mlle. Lenormand! (Or Gypsies...or both.) Personally I like Petit Jeu, and the Astro Mythological Grand Jeu - though Grand Jeu probably had nothing whatsoever to do with her. ;) BB, Stella

stella01904

Diana said:
1) Grand Jeu de Mlle Lenormand. There are 54 cards. Publishers: Grimaud, France.
2) Petit Lenormand - Je de cartes divinatoires d'après la méthode admirablement simplifiée de Mlle Lenormand. There are 36 (or 37 cards, can't make it out). Publishers: Grimaud, France.
...Number one (54 cards) is apparently the exact reproduction of the one Mlle Lenormand created. It's a very complicated deck with astro-mythological figures.

Number two was also designed by Mlle Lenormand herself. It is a bit simpler (less cards), but also has astro-mythological figures.

Number three is a more modern deck. Designed at the beginning of the twentieth century. It was not created by her at all.

Number four is just an even more modern version than number three.
MM ~ Hmmm ~ John Michael Greer says in his New Encyclopedia of the Occult that the Grand Jeu appeared a couple of years after Mlle.'s death and that she had no hand in its creation. Grimaud Petit Jeu is an attempt to combine regular Petit Jeu with Grand Jeu, by the playing card correspondences, what you get is a very crowded, truncated Grand Jeu that doesn't work very well, IMHO, I can't find anyone who likes them...Now, I am not here to argue, but trying to get my facts straight - do you have a good source that says Mlle. Lenormand didn't create the system for Petit Jeu (as in Piatnik, J.M.C., Lo Scarabeo, etc.) The story is that she devised this system because she was besieged with people wanting readings, and wanted to make something simple so some of them could go and learn to read for themselves. There is a lot of conflicting information about this woman. Either Greer or Ray Buckland says she also read Tarot and her favorite deck was the Ettiella.
This Jeu du Destin, do you mean Jeu Du Destin Antique? I don't have that one yet. I'm looking forward to it. As far as anyone waiting for a course with an expert, you may have to learn French or German to get that in this lifetime. Tarot snobs are ruling the english speaking market. We are studying these decks and others over at [removed by forum moderator] and I can do a decent reading with Petit Jeu and Grand Jeu both now (though I still find Grand Jeu difficult). This is the best thing available - unless, as I have said, you are fluent in French, German, or Dutch! BB, Stella