Fournier TdM: Seeking Opinions

Barleywine

Well, buying a Marseille deck has come back around to the top of my list. Other than the research I've done into the available decks, my only previous exposure has been my wife's old Tarot Classic. The colors seem to be the decision-maker for me, since the imagery is obviously typical. I tend to like the "true blues" as opposed to the "teals" or the "faded denim" hues (and other slightly washed-out shades) of some of the reproductions. I'm not a stickler for historical authenticity in that department, though. The one that really caught my eye is the Fournier version of the Conver deck. The warm background colors are probably viewed with horror by purists, but they appeal to me. I do like Yves' excellent offering but the cost is a stopper; my accountant (wife) would shoot me (or worse :)).

Does anyone own the Fournier and would care to comment on it?

Sulis

I have it and it's OK... I think some of the recoloured faces look a bit off so it's not one of my favourites. In a TdM I think how the characters are done is very important since they're not on every card. I like to be able to see where they are looking etc.

I'd recommend the CBD Tarot. It's a modern version of the Conver deck and the faces have been updated ever so slightly so that some of the characters look a little less dour.
It's very affordable, lovely cardstock - in fact I can't say a bad word about it. It's been my only deck since November last year and I love it.

Here's a thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=163515
Some images on Aeclectic: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cbd-marseille/
The creator's Flickr site where you can see all of the cards: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48485995@N00/sets

Barleywine

I have it and it's OK... I think some of the recoloured faces look a bit off so it's not one of my favourites. In a TdM I think how the characters are done is very important since they're not on every card. I like to be able to see where they are looking etc.

I'd recommend the CBD Tarot. It's a modern version of the Conver deck and the faces have been updated ever so slightly so that some of the characters look a little less dour.
It's very affordable, lovely cardstock - in fact I can't say a bad word about it. It's been my only deck since November last year and I love it.

Here's a thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=163515
Some images on Aeclectic: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/cbd-marseille/
The creator's Flickr site where you can see all of the cards: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48485995@N00/sets

This is very nice. I also read the reviews here. The cards being "talkative" has always been my hang-up with pip decks. I've always found them a bit "mute." But the Thoth is basically a pip deck with augmented colors and designs that make the Minors evocative. And I will say that the "scenic" pips such as RWS don't always say a whole lot that is profound to me either, so it's not a huge stretch to contemplate adapting to the TdM.

Richard

For a deck of that type, I think the Isis is artistically superior to the Fournier. However, I do not have either one, as I know they would become mere dust collectors. The CBD is my favorite TdM, and the Grimaud-Marteau is a close second. They are beautiful reconstructions of the Conver, the CBD being the more colorful of the two.

Gemyndig

I adore the Fournier Marseilles and it was the first deck I ever owned, and the one I learnt with - I recently reaquired it from ebay (it was part of a "beginner's" set with sun-face backs and a book by Kristyna Arcati. The colours I think add a richness (especially to such as the Star and the Moon) which is just not there for me with other versions of the TdM. The only other ones I like are the Thunder Bay Conver style ones, and also the Heron (I love that sky blue!)

garmonbozia

Barleywine, if you are interested in getting a Conver deck, I agree with Sulis. I think the CBD is the best non-fascimile Conver deck available. Conver is however, probably my least favorite TdM style. Unfortunately for me it is also the most prevalent it seems.

Personally, I think the Fournier deck looks better in online scans than in reality. I find it disappointing. The characters just seem so empty and soulless, and the colors on the actual cards are not as nice as they look on the internet. However, if you are ever interested in playing tarot games, it is an excellent game deck, especially when playing with people who are not familiar with tarot cards. The colored backgrounds make it really easy for newbies to distinguish between swords and sticks, for example.

If I had to recommend one and only one TdM deck, it would probably be either J.C. Flornoy's Jean Noblet deck (because I love TdM-I style) or the TdM Robledo (best card stock ever). Both are similar in price though to Yves' deck.

For less costly decks, and based on what you said about liking "true blues" and not lighter blues, and since you are not necessarily interested in a historical reproduction deck, I suggest checking out either the Paul Marteau deck by Grimaud, or the TdM deck by AGMuller.

My Grimaud/Marteau deck is the French edition, so I assume the US version is the same but in English? Not sure. The Grimaud uses dark blue, almost royal blues. The Dusserre/Marteau deck I have uses a light blue color that you would probably like less.

Do you like your wife's Tarot Classic? The AGMuller TdM is the exact same artist (same line drawings) but the coloration is different. Darker colors, including darker blues. This deck can be found very cheaply on eBay (from this seller http://myworld.ebay.com/california-canuck/ but none are currently listed), but as Sulis can tell you, the card backs are hideous, so if that is important to you, I don't recommend this one.

If you are interested in an affordable reproduction deck, I highly recommend the Piatnik. Nice price here: http://www.tarobearslair.com/tarot-de-marseille-piatnik.aspx

Barleywine

Barleywine, if you are interested in getting a Conver deck, I agree with Sulis. I think the CBD is the best non-fascimile Conver deck available. Conver is however, probably my least favorite TdM style. Unfortunately for me it is also the most prevalent it seems.

Personally, I think the Fournier deck looks better in online scans than in reality. I find it disappointing. The characters just seem so empty and soulless, and the colors on the actual cards are not as nice as they look on the internet. However, if you are ever interested in playing tarot games, it is an excellent game deck, especially when playing with people who are not familiar with tarot cards. The colored backgrounds make it really easy for newbies to distinguish between swords and sticks, for example.

If I had to recommend one and only one TdM deck, it would probably be either J.C. Flornoy's Jean Noblet deck (because I love TdM-I style) or the TdM Robledo (best card stock ever). Both are similar in price though to Yves' deck.

For less costly decks, and based on what you said about liking "true blues" and not lighter blues, and since you are not necessarily interested in a historical reproduction deck, I suggest checking out either the Paul Marteau deck by Grimaud, or the TdM deck by AGMuller.

My Grimaud/Marteau deck is the French edition, so I assume the US version is the same but in English? Not sure. The Grimaud uses dark blue, almost royal blues. The Dusserre/Marteau deck I have uses a light blue color that you would probably like less.

Do you like your wife's Tarot Classic? The AGMuller TdM is the exact same artist (same line drawings) but the coloration is different. Darker colors, including darker blues. This deck can be found very cheaply on eBay (from this seller http://myworld.ebay.com/california-canuck/ but none are currently listed), but as Sulis can tell you, the card backs are hideous, so if that is important to you, I don't recommend this one.

If you are interested in an affordable reproduction deck, I highly recommend the Piatnik. Nice price here: http://www.tarobearslair.com/tarot-de-marseille-piatnik.aspx

Thanks for the informative response. The Piatnik looks good; the backgrounds appear to be muted (aged?), not bright-white, which I like. I also remember looking at the Grimaud deck previously and liking it, but current prices are steep. French titles are OK with me and it doesn't matter if there is a LWB in French since I use other sources. The AG Muller TdM I was able to find on Amazon says "Convos" on the box; the colors look good. Is that the one you're referring to?

ETA: I got a nice surprise at Taro Bear's Lair: a copy of Tarot of the Old Path for half-price ($13). I've been looking all over for it, but it's either been out-of-stock or in the $23 - $25 range. I snapped it up. BTW, they are liquidating all their divination decks to make way for more European card games. They don't have many different decks but what they do have looks good.

Freddie

I am quite a fan of the Fournier, but I do understand why it would not appeal to others here. I like the colouring of the deck and I feel the facial expressions are warm and chatty. Go with what your heart tells you.

blessings,

Freddie

shaveling

I don't much use the Fournier, since I prefer a different style of art for my TdM's. But it seems to be a good enough deck. It's a bit smaller than many tarot decks, but larger than the bridge size deck of playing cards I checked it against. This can be a definite plus with small hands or large spreads. The cardstock is commercial playing card stuff. It shuffles and fans admirably. My LWB is in Spanish, English and Portuguese.

The pips in my copy have little index numbers at one end of the cards, which means if you want to read with reversals, you don't have to mark the cards yourself. This is a two-edged sword. I disagree with the Fournier people on which end is up on the four of batons, for instance. But I simply go with my own opinion on that one, and disregard their mark.

I recall someone from Switzerland who didn't like the Fournier complaining that that was the TdM that all the stores there had. I don't know if it's still that widespread there or not.

The blue in the Grimaud/Marteau is so dark it's hard to see the line work. It's famous for that. The Convos is the Tarot de Marseille equivalent of New Coke. Everybody meant well, but it didn't catch on. One interesting thing about it is the width of the cards, in relation to the length, is greater than most decks. The Dodal-based deck the Convos replaced was famous for being ugly, so whether it was a step up is, I suppose, a matter for debate.

The AGM Marseille garmonbozia refers to is labeled Tarot de Marseille. Some Marseille enthusiasts will make a point of telling you it's a Schaffhouse, and not a TdM. But that's just the way we are. The differences between a TdM and a Schaffhouse aren't more than the differences among recognized TdM's as far as I can see. So just say, "Yes, I know," and move on. The backs, which repel many and made Sulis ill, are a red, white and blue barber pole stripe. I like them.

If you like the Fournier, it might a good idea to get the Fournier. It's nice to have a deck you like.

Abrac

There's a version of the Fournier published by Funtime Ltd. It comes in a clear plastic "box" and has an instruction leaflet titled "Tarot for Beginners." The backs are dark blue with a large golden sun face. The colors are noticeably more vivid than the ones I've seen by Fournier. This is the one I'd recommend if you can find it.