Brazilian Lo Scarabeo Conver

le_charior

So I am in Brazil right now, and after I visited a few Umbanda and Candomblé shops, looked at their selection of Tarot (some Camoin-Jodo clones, some Orixa-Tarot-mix decks, a lot of Lenormand, not a single RWS deck), eyed the card readers outside the shops, in front of churches, on bridges over highways... they are quite present and also do divination with shells and lots of other fascinations stuff... if only I spoke Portuguese!

But then - and here I arrive at the topic, finally! I went into a regular book store, from a chain, and saw a set called "Antigo Taro de Marselha", which was quite clearly a reprint of the fabulous and out of print Conver deck from Lo Scarabeo! Of course I had to buy it, and it was only 30 Reais, which is about 12 Euro. Lo Scarabeo is even mentioned on the box.

And it is indeed a reprint of the deck, with portuguese titles, i think a bit smaller, but not 100% about it, and the background is a bit darker, orangey-brownisher. The edges are kind of rough and not perfectly cut, the card stock is decent and the backs are different from the Lo Scarabeo Conver I have. Overall it is just FABULOUS! Exactly the kind of deck i want to stuff into the back pocket of my jeans and take with me wherever I go. I might just buy all the decks I can find and make this my take away deck - no need to worry about it since it is so cheap! Ha! I am very happy and excited, in case you didn't notice yet!

So, did anyone ever see that deck? Or am I the first here?

Bad cell phone image attached!

Attachments

• brasilian_conver.jpg
    brasilian_conver.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 135

MoonGypsy

Oh my goodness! That is one of my favorites..i used to have the original OOP one by Lo Scarabeo--"Ancient Tarot of Marseille" i have been wanting to replace it...
Oh what a find, LC! :love:

Drooling :p

MoonGypsy xxx

le_charior

Yes! I am drooling, too! Have to go find more in other bookstores tomorrow - the one where I bought it had only one copy...

MoonGypsy

Yes! I am drooling, too! Have to go find more in other bookstores tomorrow - the one where I bought it had only one copy...

(((((crossing my fingers)))))for you, le_charior! :) Have fun! :love: Enjoy the Brazilian Full Moon!

Bluefeet

A wonderful find indeed! It's a beautiful set! :love:

garmonbozia

I saw one of these on ebay recently, but didn't know it was a reprint of the Lo Scarabeo! I saw the Portuguese titles and wasn't really interested beyond that. For the most part, I need my TdM's to be in French.

le_charior

I saw one of these on ebay recently, but didn't know it was a reprint of the Lo Scarabeo! I saw the Portuguese titles and wasn't really interested beyond that. For the most part, I need my TdM's to be in French.

I actually like the portuguese titles: Cavaleiro de Bastoes! A Sacerdotisa! O Enforcado! Rainha de Tacas! :) They are charming. But I don't look at them much anyway - so it doesn't stop me from being very much in love with this version of the deck, it feels like a true work horse of a TdM deck, because it is a bit rough around the edges (literally!). Will go hunting the bookshops tomorrow for a few backups!

Le Fanu

Yes, I knew about this one. I almost bought it once (even though I have three or four of the LoS one) but as I was waiting to pay at the checkout, decided not to as I like the LoS one as it is but if you cannot get the LoS one then it is a good buy. The cards are smaller and the titles are in Portuguese. I think the backs are different too. I see it sometimes in bookshops near me.

(If I were in Brazil right now I'd be hunting down Lenormands!)

But congratulations on your find! :)

le_charior

Since I am not into Lenormands, and since the Lo Scarabeo is really hard to find, I was hunting these today - but only found two more. I would have bought at least another two. I don't know why, but the smaller size, the weird background color and the crappy quality totally speaks to me. More than the Lo Scarabeo original. As if it was today's mass market equivalent of a poorly printed cheap TdM deck in France in the 18th century or whatever. Something to just USE, not to admire.