circle-1 on Heart (French Cartomancy)

Gavriela

It's 24 in Lenormand and the Jack of Hearts in the Euchre deck. Where does the 1 come in?

Bernice

I don't think the circle-1 comes into a Lenormand deck at all!

I'm thinking it's a mistake..... wondering if all the French Cartomancy versions (if there are more than one) have it?

Bee

silverr

A worthy guess, Aerin, but what system would that be? The card is still marked #24 for the Lenormand numbering, and none of the other cards were given the *weird* circle-in-the-center treatment.

Here's a visual for the Dondorf Heart/24/J:heart::
http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/6281/0dondorfheartpb0.jpg

...to compare to the French Cartomancy Heart/24/J:heart::
http://draktarotlibrary.multiply.com/photos/album/193/French_Cartomancy_LS#26

The best idea I can come up with is that maybe LS added it just to "mark" the deck as their own printing version. It seems to me they could've added a decorative LS logo to the upper right, or to the usual places like on Ring or Key, but who knows what the thought train was?

If nothing else, it gives us something intriguing to mull over. :laugh:

Gavriela

Or we could ask Ric.

Aerin

Gavriela said:
Or we could ask Ric.

Which is probably easier than guessing.....

I tried searching and got nowhere. Except that playing cards jacks in profile are sometimes referred to as 'One-eyed Jack'.

Aerin

RiccardoLS

Silverr asked me, but I really don't know.

We were as puzzled as You are.
I'm quite sure it's not something we did on purpose.

Pietro Alligo will look into the original cards, if he can find any clue.
The original cards had only one number - if I remember correctly - on the upper right part of the deck. Maybe the upper left corner will help us.
The other way would be asking Laura Tuan (she wrote the book and studied the cards).

Anyway I'll let You know, but in a few days I'm leaving for my holidays, so I can't garauntee I will let you know any soon.

ric

Aerin

Thank you Riccardo for looking into this :)

i will be interested to find out the answer! (or continued mystery...)

Aerin

silverr

Really appreciate you looking into this, Ric, thanks! :)

RiccardoLS

I took almost two months to came up with an answer. Sorry. :(

The one does not appear on the original card. It covers a place the original card is ruined. Our best guess is that it is a mistake. The 1 was placed while the deck was being repaired to mark the imperfection and later forgotten. :(
If I have any update I'll let you know.

ric

silverr

RiccardoLS said:
I took almost two months to came up with an answer. Sorry. :(

The one does not appear on the original card. It covers a place the original card is ruined. Our best guess is that it is a mistake. The 1 was placed while the deck was being repaired to mark the imperfection and later forgotten. :(
If I have any update I'll let you know.

ric
No problem about taking the time to get back to this. Still appreciate it. :)

And I have to laugh at the answer. It's just so fitting with how it appears. Worth the wait to get the scoop and have the mystery be solved. Thanks, Ric! :)