Día de los Muertos Lenormand. (Day of the Dead)

emmsma

Its wonderful! I want one!

starlightexp

Thanks for all the input. I really wanted to get the vibrant colors and whimsy of the celebration. The top motif where the numbers are placed is a variant off of a skull I bought down in Isla Mujeres.

The original art is being done on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It's an acid free made by Canson that our local art shop carries. I love the texture in it. I only pick up one color of paper at a time because I LOVE going there and am inspired every time, that and it's only 5 min up the road so it gets me out of the house. They have several of the real vibrant colors that I want to use, but I think a good deal of the cards might end up being on the black background.

As for the pastels themselves. I have some soft pastes as pencils in black and white for the line work that are made by Stabilo and some color ones by a french company called Contt.(Which by the way really bite to sharpen..grrr) I also have several Rembrandt sticks that I ADORE the rich colors on.

It's so much fun to do this. Truth be told I haven't picked up a pastel in years and so getting back on the boat is taking a little time but the creative release is amazing. I really haven't given much thought to really doing anything with the images but we'll see what happens when the deck is done. Right now it's just a fun ride do be back on...

prudence

Thanks for all the input. I really wanted to get the vibrant colors and whimsy of the celebration. The top motif where the numbers are placed is a variant off of a skull I bought down in Isla Mujeres.

The original art is being done on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It's an acid free made by Canson that our local art shop carries. I love the texture in it. I only pick up one color of paper at a time because I LOVE going there and am inspired every time, that and it's only 5 min up the road so it gets me out of the house. They have several of the real vibrant colors that I want to use, but I think a good deal of the cards might end up being on the black background.

As for the pastels themselves. I have some soft pastes as pencils in black and white for the line work that are made by Stabilo and some color ones by a french company called Contt.(Which by the way really bite to sharpen..grrr) I also have several Rembrandt sticks that I ADORE the rich colors on.

It's so much fun to do this. Truth be told I haven't picked up a pastel in years and so getting back on the boat is taking a little time but the creative release is amazing. I really haven't given much thought to really doing anything with the images but we'll see what happens when the deck is done. Right now it's just a fun ride do be back on...
It's really too beautiful to not consider doing something with these images, imo. You have a special touch with this style of art, and you have so far truly honored the tradition with your choices (color and style wise) ... of course I am biased in that I want to see this deck come into existence...so that I can get my greedy hands on it! But seriously, as others have pointed out, it does do better what other decks have attempted. The colors, the feeling, the style... you got them all right.

Laura Borealis

This is beautiful work! Really professional looking, too. :heart:

GryffinSong

Wonderful stuff!!! Not only do I really like your artwork, but it's fabulous to see a Lenormand with a twist. :) Please keep it up, and please do publish. :)

Ashtaroot

This is so yummy ...real eye candy..love the sumptuous colors
A perfect lenormand for this time of year, would love to have my hands on it:thumbsup:

Flaxen

I love this! The Mexican theme fits so well and really works. :)

Sulis

Very, very nice :).

Bhavana

I prefer the Stabilo pencils over Conte, they just give a richer color - and yes, sharpening is the biggest nightmare! Unless you want to spend a fortune on a top of the line electric sharpener, I found the best ones to use are the little red hand held "Generals" pencil sharpeners. Very cheap. If you can't find them singly for sale, look in the store for the Generals White Charcoal Pencil set in the blister pack- 2 white pencils, which are great to use when you need a really fine line when working with white pastel - and they come with a red plastic sharpener. Only a few dollars in all - but I always have 3 or 4 new ones on hand, because successful sharpening of pastel pencils depends on the sharpener being VERY sharp. Just a suggestion...

Can't wait to see more of your cards, and it looks like I am not the only one! I really think that you have a great idea here for a deck.

starlightexp

I've got like 4 sharpeners of various shapes and sizes here to try and get sharped what I can. I have some sticks that I just break into smaller pieces when I need an edge. I have managed to find a shelf to put my tea on so that it doesn't get dust or shavings in it.. I love a good hot cuppa of an Assam tea while enveloped in my cloud of colored powder.

Here is a new card for everyone. I was thinking that The Lilly was going to come through but last night The Dog came to me.

Attachments

• #18 The Dog.jpg
    #18 The Dog.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 435