New to Astrology- Where to start?

Minderwiz

thanks Minderwiz!! So cadent houses are places of "slow activity"? "Nothing much happens"?
The sign would make a difference one assumes

The sixth and twelfth are indeed idle but the ninth and the third are places where things can get done, though in the case of the third arguably only just so. It's the worst of the good places. What matters most is the aspect to the Ascendant then sign quality. So the second lacks the aspect, it's an idle place but it's a succedent house, so it has promise, especially as it succeeds to the Ascendant. It's the best of the bad places. The eighth also lacks an aspect but is osucceden to the seventh

GoldenPhi

The sixth and twelfth are indeed idle but the ninth and the third are places where things can get done, though in the case of the third arguably only just so. It's the worst of the good places. What matters most is the aspect to the Ascendant then sign quality. So the second lacks the aspect, it's an idle place but it's a succedent house, so it has promise, especially as it succeeds to the Ascendant. It's the best of the bad places. The eighth also lacks an aspect but is osucceden to the seventh
and yet communications is one of the significations of the third!! "Communication gets done but arguably only just so"? Interesting!!

GoldenPhi

So aspect to ascendant is more important than sign quality
- I just was thinking that if one of the Cardinal signs were on the ninth, third or even the "idle" sixth and twelfth places then that would boost the "idleness"?
- especially if one of the cardinal rulers were in its own sign?
Or could a cardinal ruler in ninth, third, twelfth or sixth just race around being active but unable achieve its aims no matter how cardinal and active? Starting projects that fizzle out? Or even roam around "not doing much" other than "travelling" which you have mentioned elsewhere is linked to third, ninth, sixth and twelfth.

Minderwiz

Sorry, I made an error in the post you quoted. I should have said house quality, I.e. angular, succedent, cadent, not sign quality. I was in a hurry and posting via my tablet :(.

Sign quality tends to indicate speed of action (to the extent that action is possible. Cardinal signs indicate a fast start but maybe a lack of staying power. Fixed signs indicate slower start but seeing things through. Mutable signs indicate that two or more attempts may be required, I.e. a first attempt is likely to fail.

GoldenPhi

Sorry, I made an error in the post you quoted. I should have said house quality, I.e. angular, succedent, cadent, not sign quality. I was in a hurry and posting via my tablet :(.

Sign quality tends to indicate speed of action (to the extent that action is possible. Cardinal signs indicate a fast start but maybe a lack of staying power. Fixed signs indicate slower start but seeing things through. Mutable signs indicate that two or more attempts may be required, I.e. a first attempt is likely to fail.
Then as you have said, aspect to the ascendant is more important than house quality
and since planets located in sixth and twelfth cannot aspect ascendant
then maybe the sign ruler of the sixth and/or the twelfth is a way for the matters of those houses to get achieved IF that sign ruler is angular? Or at least succedent?
thanks Minderwiz, I appreciate your patience with an astrological dunce such as myself :(, I find it difficult to grasp these concepts - but I intend to persevere as it is interesting!!

Minderwiz

Yes the planets concerned will influence the outcome. Lords 6 & 12 are accidentally malefic, whichever planets take that role but their basic nature and any aspects or receptions need to be considered too.

Generally speaking if the planet in the twelfth (or sixth) has a positive relationship with a generic (Jupiter by day; Venus by night) the situation will be better. It will not be as bad if there is reception with Lord 12 or Lord 6 (whichever is relevant). If the ruler of the twelfth is in the twelfth, even in their second sign

That's very brief but I hope you get the idea. Placements in a specific chart will modify the general rules. It's equally possible for the situation to be made worse, even where the ninth or third are involved. Apply the general rules but look for factors that may make the situation better or worse than your general analysis suggests.

GoldenPhi

Yes the planets concerned will influence the outcome. Lords 6 & 12 are accidentally malefic, whichever planets take that role but their basic nature and any aspects or receptions need to be considered too.

Generally speaking if the planet in the twelfth (or sixth) has a positive relationship with a generic (Jupiter by day; Venus by night) the situation will be better. It will not be as bad if there is reception with Lord 12 or Lord 6 (whichever is relevant). If the ruler of the twelfth is in the twelfth, even in their second sign

That's very brief but I hope you get the idea. Placements in a specific chart will modify the general rules. It's equally possible for the situation to be made worse, even where the ninth or third are involved. Apply the general rules but look for factors that may make the situation better or worse than your general analysis suggests.
Thanks Minderwiz it's news to me that rulers of 12th and 6th are accidental malefics - so would that include their exalted rulers as well? Or just their domicile rulers?