How do you store your decks?

Morwenna

It's just that people are insane; they throw lovely stuff out and then fill their home with hideous stuff! I don't get it. Surely everyone would have a use for a box and a suitcase like these?

I know I sure would. That box especially!

Sometimes I think people toss things if they fall heir to a relative's stuff and they don't need or want it and can't be bothered to find it a better home. Around here it's often because people are finishing grad school and moving cross country or even abroad and can't take it with them. There's also the matter of abandoned stuff in basements and attics that some landlord has to deal with. And some things need repairs that the owner just doesn't want to deal with. We live in a college town; you should see some of the stuff we've gleaned. But one thing that sells out first at tag sales and is never seen (unless hopelessly rickety) for free is Shelves!!!

amysquie

I keep my deck in a pink piece of silk in a wooden box, along with an amethyst. However I have noticed over the years the edges are slowly turning pink! Not sure if I like that or not, any suggestions of materials I can wrap the deck in that won't stain the cards? Or is it just a cheaply dyed piece?

gregory

It probably is - why not get a piece of white silk, if silk is your thing ?

WyrdRaven

Most of mine are in their original boxes; a few are in bags. The decks live on top of the bookcase, in the wicker shelf unit, in a large square basket, a smaller square basket, and a floppy basket with a lid. There is also a seagrass set of drawers and a free-for-all pile to one side of the room. I was worried about mildew, which is why I replaced my plastic drawers with seagrass ones. But now I have to say that I regret this decision. The seagrass is rough and grabs at the boxes, forcing their tabs open. In at least one case, a sharp end has poked a hole through a box. I know wood is the answer, but it's so heavy and expensive, and takes up so much space (which I don't have). Well, I guess all of this is still a work in progress.

desertrat

In terms of What Is Correct - whatever you like. Even plastic - if you LIKE them getting mildewy !

I use large rubbermaid totes to store my decks. We don't get mildewy - we DRY. :D

I leave my decks in their boxes, unless they never had a box or the box was damaged, in which case I make a simple bag for them.

Glitterbird

I'm at the point I keep the ones I don't look at much in 3 rubber maid totes, in their boxes. I have two small antique suit cases that I keep my favorites in and then in the kitchen I have a display cabinet that I keep my 3-4 current working decks in.....I think I have too many...............nah I was just kidding...

Juliana

I have about 20 decks. For the 10 or so that I actually use, I have taken them out of their boxes and wrapped them in a simple black cloth napkin (12 pack from Target for about $12!) and secured that with a hair tie. One of these days I will get around to buying some of those paper tags that car shops use to label customer keys, and put those on there with the names of the decks. But for now, I tell them apart by the color of the ties. All my decks are then kept on my bookshelf in those little fabric boxes that you see at organizing stores. For a smallish collection, this works fabulously. And I have all the decks' unused original cardstock boxes and LWBs in a rubbermaid container incase I ever need to sell/trade the decks.

gregory

I use large rubbermaid totes to store my decks. We don't get mildewy - we DRY. :D

I assume not airtight then ? Seriously - airtight plastic boxes get condensation and - eeew.

Wintergreen

I just found this while noodling around... wouldn't this make the most awesome Tarot cabinet (for lovers of contemporary furniture).

case-furniture-masion-et-objet.jpg