3. conscious thought or goal
4. subconscious / foundation / root
5. receeding influence but still a factor
6. gaining influence
7. key /question
8. inner guidance
9. hopes or fears
10 possible outcome - i may add to this last card

I also use the card from the bottom of cut selected by the client as showing a significant influence or person.

2. How many spreads do you know by heart?
only 4 or 5

3. Do you think it is important to have a variety of spreads for reading?
i think it's more important to be comfortable in reading the cards however you lay them out

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
i pull a single card daily for myself and will make up a spread on the spot if i'm working through a problem on my own

5. What is the most useful spread you have?

I usually stick to a tau cross (major only) followed by a celtic cross (sometimes with both arcana, or definitely both if not leading with a major spread, sometimes with minor only if trying to define the mundane detail). If a client wants more information from a specific position of a card on the celtic then I've made my own follow-on spread using the one in question as the central card.

6. What defines a useful spread for you?

one where i can easily see relationships between positions - i don't use linear spreads

7. Where do you go to find new spreads?

i'll look at books for a pattern but after experimenting for a while i usually find I change the position meanings - or even the order of the lay. i don't even know what the original celtic looks like anymore! other people are a great source of inspiration.

abattage

1. What spread do you use the most?
A 5-card spread. Card 1 is the querent, 2 is the reader's role, and the remainder are past, present, and future

YES.

4. If you read for others, do you have spreads you only use for yourself? spreads you only use for others?
No; any spreads I use are for anyone and everyone.

A spread from the included book on Mystic Faerie tarot, called Acorn To Oak. It's a how to get from point A to point B spread, and I find it very effective.

Usually, it has five or more cards, but not always. I like them to be generalized: not specific to one subject. For instance, I don't like "looking for love" spreads or career spreads.

I look on various places on the internet and in books. A spread I'll use calls out to me, so I don't have to worry about missing a useful one.

Min-no-ko

Celtic Cross- simple, to the point, and I still manage to constantly get the 8th and 7th position mixed up.
About. . . 3. But I have more saved on my computer or written down.
It depends. The Celtic Cross generally does it, but if you do a lot of readings centering around more than one person at a time, variety is a very good thing. Then again, it generally is.
N/A
Not certain. I would say the Ying Yang spread I picked up somewhere, but I don't really use it.
Past, present, future and mental/spiritual influences, perspective cards, and flexibility.

BlackSheep7

Where are you now? <---It's from this forum!! ^^
I know 7 spreads.
I really do think it's important, because each spread has their
own meaning, it's quality, and purpose.
I use either
The most useful spread is my own Decision making spread, daily horoscope, and the where are you now?.
I like using spreads, that contain's wat the client is feelings, shows past presentm and future, and etc..
I go online. ^^

SweetLove14

ArwenNightstar said:
Ok, in the hopes of generating another article for either the ATA Quarterly or the ATA Tarot Reflections, I have the following questions for y'all. This is for those that read with spreads. For those of you who don't read with spreads, I'll try to do another survey.

1. Right now love is on my mind, so...ya know
2. Actually 3 cards is the only thing i can remember LOL
3. Yes, I think it can offer many view points
4. Its all the same to me and all are universal.... i can usaly costomize or improvise readings for others.
5. I have alot that let me see were i stand in certiain situations and that give me advice.
6. One that answers deep questions for me, mostly dealing with thoughts and emotions
7. In my book Complete Book of Tarot spreads by evelin burger and johannes fiebig
but i would like some more books on spreads....and AT is the best resorce for my spreads :)
SweetLove14

ArwenNightstar

Thanks to all who have responded. I swear! This is the article that wouldn't be written. I've moved as well. It's been a good year. :) I am still planning on putting this together!

Sonia Doris

Okay, hope I'm not too late :)

I usually cycle the spreads, but I use the Cross quite often.

About 4-5

Yes, it's easier to answer the specific things.

Not really, I use different decks, that's all.

The Cross. It's short and hits the right spots.

A spread should have a logical order of cards, it should look either simple geometrically or from the point of view of the content and, most of all, it should be clear from all points of view.

I usually use this forum for that.

:)

Thanks for the survey, I love answering these kind of questions.

Marchal

Gayla said:

3 card - yes, no, maybe. Mainly because I read for the FTN and most of the questions are yes, no, maybe oriented.

Hi Gayla,
could you elaborate a bit how you use that spread? I am not quite sure at the moment.
Kind regards
Marchal

Marchal

Marchal said:
Hi Gayla,
could you elaborate a bit how you use that spread? I am not quite sure at the moment.
Kind regards
Marchal

I just thought about it. Do you make it a "yes, IF", "no, IF" and "maybe, IF"-spread? That is a good idea...

rwcarter

ArwenNightstar said:
Strange that as a spread junkie I've never answered this until now....

1. It would probably have to be a generic 3 card daily spread. It's generic because the positions don't have meanings.
2. I don't know and don't really think it matters to me. I have 582 spreads printed off and stored in 2 large 3 ring binders, so all my spreads are readily available.
3. Most definitely! For me some spreads speak better to certain questions than others do.
4. No, all my spreads are up for grabs for any reading I do.
5. Impossible for me to answer! That's like asking me to choose what my favorite deck is. Assuming I could narrow it down to 1, the answer I give you today would be different than the answer I give you tomorrow.
6. A "useful" spread addresses points that are relevant to the question at hand. It doesn't have to address every relevant point, but the points it does address should all be relevant.
7. AT of course! And also my tarot library of 300+ books.

Rodney