International Tarot Foundation - worth it?

Sabin

Seen a few adverts for the above on Facebook.

Is anyone a member? (Or is EVERYONE a member??)

Is it recommended to join as part of ones journey into Tarot?

If so do you feel it offers more in the way of support or resource compared to these forums which to me seem pretty great?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizabella

I'm not a member of anything like that and don't feel the need to be. I don't think membership in such places matters much other than to earn the organization the fees they charge. They don't legitimize a reader or get them more business. And there's no accredited Tarot organization or other group so that just makes it a "why bother?" for me.

Sabin

That's my gut instinct if I'm honest. I know they offer a few readings etc and a membership certificate (does that make you more credible? ;-p)

Though it may be handy for likes of networking etc

I'm thinking I will stick to the forums here as its a very open community and I think there's plenty out in the open to learn if you want to look for it.

Grizabella

Your very best "certificate", using the term very loosely, is word of mouth recommendation. Being active and learning here on the forum and then word of mouth from people you've done readings for are the best indicators of what kind of reader you are. :)

Zephyros

I suppose it is worth it if your clients think it is. Some people are impressed by certificates, even though they may be meaningless. If an ad that says "ITF Certified" brings in more money, then why not? But it depends on your clientele, and it won't make you a better reader.

danieljuk

There is a lot of different organisations which you can pay to join. There has been many threads about this on AT in the past and people have different opinions. I think what you have to ask yourself Sabin, how do they benefit you? Some of them offer insurance if you are giving professional readings or a network of advertising or a professional accreditation (if you fulfil their study requirements).

I think pretty much everyone agrees that the accreditation or certifications and qualifications by the different organisations don't really mean much. Unless you want customers who might think you are a better reader with their accreditation but they don't really mean much to me.

We have our own one in the UK called TABI - Tarot Association of the British Isles. I have considered joining per year and they have things to help you study and a forum of members. But I think I get everything they offer right here on AT!

I think it's only worth joining these tarot associations and guilds if they offer something that interests you and could help your tarot work or readings.

Sabin

I had a look at TABI it certainly seems more appealing and I like that it openly states they are not for profit. Also membership seems a fair rate and seems like they would offer a fair amount of support for newbies.

Think I might take a punt for a tenner and give them a bash.

Thank you for your replies ^.^

danieljuk

There is reading circles and things like that on AT as well don't forgot :)
If you get to 25 posts you can take part in them and exchanges in the exchange area of the forum.

I just decided to join TABI because you are right Sabin it's not a lot of money and I want to see what it is like for a year. I might take part in their courses and you can do readings under a mentor or I might just be more of a passive member. Will have to see if it adds to my experience on AT which has really taught me so much in my study and I want to support my countries tarot organisation. So I am trying it out to see if it adds to my tarot study :thumbsup:

Sabin

I'll be at 25 soonish I think.

Had a wander through the TABI forums think this one is a bit more active but at the same time it won't harm my development (in theory)

Little disappointed the training course isn't running this year by the look of it. However I like the idea of the mentor thing.

flipperjane

I'll be at 25 soonish I think.

Had a wander through the TABI forums think this one is a bit more active but at the same time it won't harm my development (in theory)

Little disappointed the training course isn't running this year by the look of it. However I like the idea of the mentor thing.

Hi Sabin,
I did a course - it was a weekend and quite expensive (I'm in the West country). To be honest I've learnt far more here. There is a really diverse selection of people here, all different reading styles and so many people ready to generously give their time to endlessly answer questions. I've found a couple of books that I really like, my own terrifically expanding notebook and an open mind has benefitted me far more than the course I did.